House Price Crash Forum

I Viewed A Much Bigger House On This Street In 2007...

HOLA441

I viewed a much bigger house on this street in 2007...it was on at £250K and I remember viewing it was total despair thinking, who in their right mind is playing these prices.....then the NR collapsed.

This much smalled place is listed today, yours for a bargain £350K !!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39677376.html?premiumA=true

The housing market is a total catastrophe for the UK.

HOLA442

some people built some 2 bedroom flats near me in 2007...I asked the lady at the showhouse how much it was and she said £215k, so I laughed. You could get similar (not new build) for £160k in my area at the time

Saw one of the flats on rightmove yesterday for £397k.

Thats 400 hundred thousand pounds for a 2bed flat in London zone 4, 30m from a busy, noisy A-road, stuck between two perpetually overcrowded roundabouts meaning on any given day getting into or out of your place is a logistical nightmare. Next to an old-people's home.

Average salary for jobs in the area is bordering 20k on a good day.

And this is after financial armageddon crash of 2008...after record breaking low interest rates. Prices almost doubled in less than 10 years. On a newbuild (at the time)

If I dont live in the epicentre of mortgage fraud then I'll eat my own hand.

HOLA443

I viewed a much bigger house on this street in 2007...it was on at £250K and I remember viewing it was total despair thinking, who in their right mind is playing these prices.....then the NR collapsed.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39677376.html?premiumA=true

But it's now been 'reduced' by £9,995 so is now a 'bargain'? What more do you want?

HOLA444

Not 15 minutes ago I was visiting French neighbours, who were asking me about Brexit, and we got around to talking about housing... I tried to explain to them the madness of prices in the UK; they looked totally bamboozled by it all.

HOLA445

£340,000, that is a scary amount of money for that.

Particularly when I can buy this in one of my preferred locations:

56c6cf44c7a84.jpg

for EUR320,000. I also then have EUR122,000 left over for beer money.

HOLA446
HOLA447

That house seem way overpriced compared to recent sales

265 k in Jul 14 for a larger house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=41853271&sale=51806675&country=england

And 185k for this just before HTB kicked in

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=40215158&sale=48623480&country=england

I used to love watching people fly kites when i was a kid, now i just think they're w*****s.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I remember thinking the same about flats around my way! Someone I knew bought a 2 bed flat in Walthamstow for £175k (may have been £179k), back in 2010-2011ish, and that flat would now not sell for less than £300k! I remember saying at the time (I was also looking at places), that £175k seemed a lot for a leasehold 2 bed?!

I must be the crazy one! :P

HOLA4410

For me, it is truly incredible how prices have managed to rise to such an extent after 2007. It is now at the point where people must not know the value of money; if someone purchases this house for anywhere near £350k, you cannot tell me they have done the sums in their heads and have worked out how many years of take-home pay it is. In Northampton too! What is the median salary there?

HOLA4411

For me, it is truly incredible how prices have managed to rise to such an extent after 2007. It is now at the point where people must not know the value of money; if someone purchases this house for anywhere near £350k, you cannot tell me they have done the sums in their heads and have worked out how many years of take-home pay it is. In Northampton too! What is the median salary there?

A classic case of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

That house seem way overpriced compared to recent sales

265 k in Jul 14 for a larger house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=41853271&sale=51806675&country=england

And 185k for this just before HTB kicked in

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=40215158&sale=48623480&country=england

I used to love watching people fly kites when i was a kid, now i just think they're w*****s.

265 up from 185K after HTB.....That in itself in insane !!!!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

They've only risen in 2 years !!!

2 yearsa go no one would h ave touched that for £200K, never mind £350K

If this isn't the begining of the end I will eat everyones hat.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Yeah, but what's that house worth relative to local wages....**** all I'd guess.

I'll wait till after the UK decided not the leave europe until I commit to leaving the UK for good.

The low earning EU country nationals are coming to the UK for more salary to help save, until they return home to buy a home ,with the side effect being it drives UK earnings down.

We might as well take our money to the low earning countries and push up their asset prices. It's the least we can do.

On a more serious note. Average Cyprus gross earnings are EUR27,504 so that place is 11.6 times average local earnings! Probably more like 9 times after some negotiation. Although I would argue it's hardly an average Cyprus home.

If we do Brexit I really cannot see countries like Spain, Malta, Cyprus, Italy etc turning Brits away. There will be some scheme or other made for those who don't need work in the local economy. Those with capital will always be accepted with open arms IMHO.

HOLA4424

If we do Brexit I really cannot see countries like Spain, Malta, Cyprus, Italy etc turning Brits away. There will be some scheme or other made for those who don't need work in the local economy. Those with capital will always be accepted with open arms IMHO.

I doubt we will Brexit but if we do then you're probably right, however what about medical/educational costs? Surely in the event of Brexit most Brits domiciled by the Med are just a stroke or a car accident away from penury?

HOLA4425

I doubt we will Brexit but if we do then you're probably right, however what about medical/educational costs? Surely in the event of Brexit most Brits domiciled by the Med are just a stroke or a car accident away from penury?

Of course the devil would be in the detail.

To give just one example of what is in place today though. As a 43 year old EU national I have free access to healthcare in the UK but if I move to Cyprus I have to pay even with the UK still in the EU. Cost looks to be about EUR1,000 per annum just for me. You then need to show evidence of insurance to get your residents permit.