House Price Crash Forum

Stop Singing That Song!

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442

Reading the words from the song quoted in the article it seems more about a female with a new boyfriend and an ex relationship - is there something else in the song to justify Bryant's notion about her occupation.

I guess he's just found yet another thing for the politicians to ban - another thing in a long list of stuff they've already banned.

While they're at it maybe they could also ban the thousands of dirge songs that are played so often these days.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Why does a basically-musical nation adopt such utterly un-musical drivel for an anthem?

There's a huge history of music promoting extreme violence. Among many operas on ugly themes, how would you ever get Wozzeck past the modern censor? A story of bullying, adultery, prostitution, and ultimately madness and murder, in which a young child is always on stage (and it has to be a real child). I expect the only reason it's allowed is because Hitler banned it, so it must be good.

Or just look to the many works based on biblical stories of massacres, genocides, suicide bombers and other such role models for modern terrorism. Or opera more widely, even if most of the more gruesome stories don't involve a child.

HOLA445
HOLA446

That bit has always grated on me and I'm not a fan of Tom Jones. I wouldn't actually mind it being banned were it not for the precedent that it sets as you'd end up banning vast amounts of songs for one reason or another; and that would include ones that I do like.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Everyone else seems to think it is a song about a man going insane and killing his lover after she cheated on him - and immediately regretting his actions and begging for forgiveness. Perhaps thinking it is about a prostitute says more about Mr Bryant than it does about the rugby players/fans who sing it.

I accept that it isn't a song about a pretty subject matter, but then I don't only want to hear songs all day about the first blooms of love or how sad I am after she/he's left me.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Mr Hendrix, should have done just what I did. I bought a left handed guitar, so I didn't look disabled, or spazzy.

The only time he came to Darlington, somebody stole his axe!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Songs and poetry can tell of extreme things. Fairy Tales can be a bit gross. Maybe everything should be watered down until it offends or moves nobody. We can have "new speak" with fewer words.

HOLA4423

Every Breath You Take by The Police is seriously creepy

actually elvis costello olivers army is creepier still.

it's about world war 3, the coming fascist police state, arab invasion and occupation of europe+uk and deportation of people to south africa.

all of which seem pretty eerily close.

you've got about 20 years or so before it happens for real.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Hmmm, I may have been guilty of Blairite language. There's certainly a lot of it that glorifies acts of extreme violence. The biblical stuff shows very strikingly the same mindset as modern terrorism.

Where does terrorism end and freedom fighting begin? Think Heydrich and Hitler. Wouldn't Islamists say that they're just trying to drive out the western occupiers? I'll bet a lot of biblical instances you might quote fall into the same category.

Archived