House Price Crash Forum

Quality Street (Others Also) Are Shrinking

200p

HOLA441
HOLA442

A few years back, the UN estimated that about 5-10% of world cocoa was produced by slave labour. There have been attempts to eliminate this (Fair trade, etc.) which I would assume would put up the cocoa price.

Perhaps people are nostalgic for old, slave-produced chocolate.

It's good to know the UN is looking out for the Oompah Lumpahs.

HOLA443

A few years back, the UN estimated that about 5-10% of world cocoa was produced by slave labour. There have been attempts to eliminate this (Fair trade, etc.) which I would assume would put up the cocoa price.

Perhaps people are nostalgic for old, slave-produced chocolate.

DM/DE readers almost certainly are :P

HOLA444

I've dug around on the old interweb and it seems these biggest tins (3 or 4 lbs I imagine) cost around £9 back in the 1980s. If that is true then they'd cost over £20 today (this excludes any commodity specific inflation). £5 - 1/4 of the size for 1/4 of the price...

Funnily enough I almost feel sorry for the chocolate companies :o the great british pubelick seem to want prices to remain the same despite inflation (maybe they should start selling chocolate houses) and for the size of the chocolate to stay the same.

If Nestle (and Cadbury) had half a brain they'd find the RRP of those tins and then publish the cost once inflation is factored in.

Actually this shows just how poor their understanding of things like inflation, IRs and commodity prices are. This is an oldish graph but cocoa has basically doubled in price over the past 10 years. Not a massive increase per chocolate maybe, but an increase all the same.

hcp.jpg

You can almost hear the sheeple now "house price inflation gooood, cocoa price inflation baaad" ;)

I guess the commodity price is a small part of the equation, you have the manufacturer and the retailer. At least we acknowlege that something that was a luxury item and cost £20 in real terms is now a three quid chuck into the trolley item at Tesco, be it a smaller tin. Meanwhile we might ponder why these ''rich'' Corporations have been losing investors money since 1999, basically the consumer has had the maunufacturers and retailers bent over a barrel for a good shafting in the new globalised marketplace this last decade.

HOLA445

I guess the commodity price is a small part of the equation, you have the manufacturer and the retailer. At least we acknowlege that something that was a luxury item and cost £20 in real terms is now a three quid chuck into the trolley item at Tesco, be it a smaller tin. Meanwhile we might ponder why these ''rich'' Corporations have been losing investors money since 1999, basically the consumer has had the maunufacturers and retailers bent over a barrel for a good shafting in the new globalised marketplace this last decade.

Or alternatively, the companies are being run for the benefit of their most expensive employees.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Or alternatively, the companies are being run for the benefit of their most expensive employees.

Something in that, shareholders don't really have any power. Don't think the top brass alone have creamed off the profits, it goes deeper than that to bankrupt final salary schemes to all staff generally and sheer bad management from indulgent Shell artic explorations to Tesco building mega stores within a few miles of each other.

But when you add on an empowered consumer expecting better every year and competition then you just wonder what future Equity generally.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Cue middle-aged cynical man mode:

Another example of something that used to be superb but is now crap. There is hardly any chocolate on them.

The problem these 'branded' that once used to be quality but now no different to other mediocre products or other products where the quality can now be better costing less.....is that the middle-aged can still clearly remember what used to be, an excellent product made with with excellent ingredients for a moderate cost.......those of a lesser age will more likely put up with inferior stuff because they know no different.....sign of the times. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Does anybody want to buy my part worn Christmas tub of Celebrations? Only the Bounties, Mars Bars and Galaxy Caramels remain.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Archived