Rugby World Cup Thread

bovinedealer

HOLA441
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Yeah, I awoke this morning to a text from Gatland. Asked me to prepare a kit-bag and make sure that I have a fresh asthma inhaler prescription with me.

I once visited Wales - I shall offer my services on the wing !!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Couple of job vacancies as England rugby coach and England rugby captain coming up within the next month for those interested in applying. England will probably need to beat Australia to stay in the competition which is a big ask for a team that looks less than brilliant. Their best hope may be the Fijians putting one over an increasingly injury depleted Wales. The hosts getting knocked out in the group stage is going to be a bit of a disaster for English rugby and their World Cup sponsors since the casual fans nearly always switch off when their team go out of a competition.

Has to be said rugby is not my favourite game as we were forced to play at school by a particularly nasty Welsh games teacher when the truth was most of the kids wanted to play soccer. We eventually had to form our own team and play behind the schools backs in the local adult leagues. Ironically my own Welsh grandfather who came from the valleys did not have much affinity for rugby either though he did play association football for Cardiff schoolboys. So much for national clichés.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
They've still got a reasonable chance of going through so it is a bit early for the witch hunt.

Still funny, mind.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Aussies complaining about Northern Hemisphere playing styles; I thought whinging was our job!

Some non-Aussies talking about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11900268/England-vs-Australia-Rugby-World-Cup-hosts-guilty-of-illegal-scrummaging-claims-former-Wallabies-coach.html

HOLA4414

Some non-Aussies talking about it here:

Bob Dwyer, Australia’s 1991 World Cup winning coach, has forcefully attacked the legality of England’s scrummaging ahead of their World Cup showdown against the Wallabies on Saturday. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Fairly standard Aussie tactics, make a big fuss about the opposition cheating in an area you're weak at and hope everyone concentrates on this rather than their own dirty practices.

HOLA4415

Bob Dwyer, Australias 1991 World Cup winning coach, has forcefully attacked the legality of Englands scrummaging ahead of their World Cup showdown against the Wallabies on Saturday. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Fairly standard Aussie tactics, make a big fuss about the opposition cheating in an area you're weak at and hope everyone concentrates on this rather than their own dirty practices.

Yep absolutely true to the Aussie playbook. They made a bug deal of 'truck and trailer' in 2003 for the same reason.

HOLA4416

Bob Dwyer, Australia’s 1991 World Cup winning coach, has forcefully attacked the legality of England’s scrummaging ahead of their World Cup showdown against the Wallabies on Saturday. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

There's a ref there also - don't think he is an Aussie.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Wasn't the 1991 final the one where a deliberate knock on in the closing moments by David Campese robbed England of a certain try and victory?

EDIT: Ah yes, my memory serves me diligently.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/2581715.stm

You know what? I'm glad he did as the typical style of the English rugby in those days was ******ing dismal. He did the sport a favour.

HOLA4425

People in the office don't seem worried.

Apparently Wales will fail to get a bonus point today or might even slip up! *Crikey*. England will walkover Australia on Saturday and the stress and injury toll will be too great for Wales next week against Australia...

Its like last Saturday never happened. Nothing about making it hard for themselves. Nothing about about how well they need to play, how few mistakes they can afford to make. Still belittling comments about the Welsh.

Archived