House Price Crash Forum

What Is It With People And Football

DTMark

HOLA441

I guess that a pure football channel on pay TV would be so expensive as to be unviable. I haven't watched a match in years but one of my household is passionate about golf. You cannot get just golf on Sky - you have to pay a small fortune for football and you get golf as an added extra. I am sure they could just allow you to pick a sport and pay less for that but the pricing of certain individual sports would be quite eye-watering. It is akin to me wanting to pay to see Lethal Weapon 16 but having to also pay for 12 different Hugh Grant romcoms as 'they all come bundled together'.

Sky's coverage of sport like Golf, Tennis, Rugby, and so on, will most likely be subsidised by the income it gets from the subscriptions of football supporters...

Edit: Just seen this, how can a Championship club afford it? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3182565/Middlesbrough-step-pursuit-Blackburn-striker-Jordan-Rhodes-new-14m-bid-cards.html

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Sky's coverage of sport like Golf, Tennis, Rugby, and so on, will most likely be subsidised by the income it gets from the subscriptions of football supporters...

Edit: Just seen this, how can a Championship club afford it? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3182565/Middlesbrough-step-pursuit-Blackburn-striker-Jordan-Rhodes-new-14m-bid-cards.html

Game like Golf are quite expensive to cover on TV but it fills far more hours than football so Sky needs it to pad out there schedules.

The money they pay to the Golfing Associations to cover it is chump change compared to football. They got the British Open for just £10 million a year. It supplies 4 whole days of television covering one of golfs four Major championships which will be attended by nearly every one of the best players on the planet. By contrast they are paying the EPL £11 million a game to cover bog standard English league football

Anyway anyone who thinks football fans are boring really needs to spend a couple of hours in the company of a couple of golfers describing the last round they played. If they deployed them at Calais all those migrants would soon be heading home as fast as their little legs could carry them.

HOLA444

Game like Golf are quite expensive to cover on TV but it fills far more hours than football so Sky needs it to pad ou there schedules.

The money they pay to the Golfing Associations to cover it is chump change compared to football.

Anyway anyone who thinks football fans are boring really needs to spend a couple of hours in the company of a couple of golfers describing the last round they played. If they deployed them at Calais all those migrants would be heading home as fast as their little legs could carry them.

Without Football on Sky Sports, it wouldn't survive as a channel (or their number of channels)...

HOLA445

Sky pays £11m for

Sky apparently pays £11m for each game it broadcasts.(I believe the total to be 166 matches) That's 1 million more than it paid for The Open. 90 minutes v 4 days. I have a feeling that the golf commentators are paid FAR less than the football pundits as well.

HOLA446

Sky pays £11m for

Sky apparently pays £11m for each game it broadcasts.(I believe the total to be 166 matches) That's 1 million more than it paid for The Open. 90 minutes v 4 days. I have a feeling that the golf commentators are paid FAR less than the football pundits as well.

...then look at the viewing figures, and how much Sky pulls in from advertising...

HOLA447

I really like it but I've always regarded it as a bit of an anorak side to my personality, enamel badge, scarf, the statistics and tables.

The vast sums of money sloshing around the upper reaches of the game are entirely alien to my version of football supporting and whilst I watch games, both live and on the telly, I wouldn't have pay TV to watch teams I don't support.

No other sport comes close for a combination of skill, excitement and passion IMHO.

HOLA448
HOLA449

So the September hikes in line rental and call charges are nothing to do with BT winning the right to more premier league games? And will any of this revenue go towards future bidding.

Like I said, thats nothing compared to what they are charging subscribers.

Maybe they want to order more bubbly at the next strategy meeting.

Are you forced to stay with BT?

HOLA4410

Ryder cup - 4.5m. Most watched football game (Chelsea v Man U) - 3.1m.

However I am wise enough to know you will never win any debate against a football fan (especially if you are trying to argue the relative merits of rugby) so I will bow out now.

It actually peaked at 2.2m in 2014..averaging 1.2m (if you want to be pedantic)...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/oct/01/europe-ryder-cup-viewers

..and this is the most popular format of the game that only happens every 2 years...Take an average European tour tournament, I bet you'd be lucky to get a half of that...

There is something about condensing the game into 80 or 90 minutes, rather than 3, 4 or 5 days...

HOLA4411
Guest eight

(especially if you are trying to argue the relative merits of rugby)

I tend to just ignore sports that I don't like but the appeal of rugby is one that has me baffled. It's just so blatantly homo-erotic whilst believing itself to be the complete opposite. Is everybody involved in denial, or something?

HOLA4412
Guest eight

Just watching Theo Walcott in the Charity Shield has brought it home to me that the problem with football is the same as with so many spheres of British life - that is, fleeting apparent competence is too often mistaken for lasting excellence.

HOLA4413

Just watching Theo Walcott in the Charity Shield has brought it home to me that the problem with football is the same as with so many spheres of British life - that is, fleeting apparent competence is too often mistaken for lasting excellence.

He's on £140,000 a week - trying not to depress you or anything...

HOLA4414

I'm mildly interested in football, and probably disappoint friends and work colleagues when I don't know every player or every result.

Maybe it is the group of people I know, but I would say the most obsessive are men between 35-55, it would n't surprise me if it is losing popularity with younger age groups.

It certainly doesn't feel like a working class game, most super fans I know earn well above the average (though they may have come from a working class background).

HOLA4415

I'm mildly interested in football, and probably disappoint friends and work colleagues when I don't know every player or every result.

Maybe it is the group of people I know, but I would say the most obsessive are men between 35-55, it would n't surprise me if it is losing popularity with younger age groups.

It certainly doesn't feel like a working class game, most super fans I know earn well above the average (though they may have come from a working class background).

Absolutely agree with that assessment. All the football enthusiasts in my office are in that age band. Very few of the youngsters seem that bothered. Watching the fans assembling on the railway platform on the evenings of Brighton and Hove Albion games I would say the majority are middle aged men sometimes accompanied by their kids. I don't see the teenage fans and twenty somethings of yesteryear probably because the game is simply right out of their price bracket. There are pretty well established demographic analysis to suggest games such as golf and cricket are in serious trouble in the UK with declining participation rates. I wonder how long it will be before that trend impacts football.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest eight

Your paying for it not me.

I only got Sky when the F1 went over to it. BT Sport is included, somehow. Will be watching the Indycars from Mid Ohio later this evening. It is what it is. I don't have a pathological hated of Rubert Murdoch or of paying for things - so am probably like a fish out of water on this forum.

HOLA4419

Am I? My club plays in league 2...Never been to a premiership game...

Neither have I.

Dont have Sky Sports either.

BTW I had a look at the participation rates in sport and a couple of years ago football looked to be in as almost as steep decline as golf though I believe it has now recovered a bit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/22806853

http://www.sportengland.org/research/who-plays-sport/by-sport/

HOLA4420

Would not bother to watch on TV and certainly would not pay to watch it on TV.......but I do like to go to a game now and again, good atmosphere, join in with the singing and enjoy a pasty at half time.......I did see a girl in front of me once sit in her seat the whole game reading a paperback whilst everyone about her was standing, singing and shouting (and swearing)........ ;)

HOLA4421

I don't watch it but I object to my phone line rental increasing to pay for it.

This^...I imagine that is why BT are increasing their charges, there must be other alternatives for those who do not agree with how the game of football is going....another bubble waiting to pop. ;)

HOLA4422

Football is popular because it is a socially approved way to exhibit primal tribalistic behavior. The players are given the respect that we would have given the Alpha males that went out to fight rob and rape the other Tribes. When they win, we are happy too as it means our Tribe has shown dominance, when we lose we feel upset and even shame.

I have a friend who has what I think is an unhealthy obsession with Football. I recall one time when his team lost their derby game and he took several days off work because he was unable to sleep he was so angry and upset. Also there were some supporters of the rival club at his workplace and he couldn't face them after the defeat. It was pathetic actually, me and his girlfriend had to talk him into going back to work, it was like trying to get a kid to eat broccoli. In the end his girlfriend had to threaten him with leaving him if he didn't go back to work.

For the record I like Football, I hate the Politics of it though. I enjoy watching and playing when the weather is decent, but I can't stand talking about it for more than 5 minutes.

HOLA4423

Football is popular because it is a socially approved way to exhibit primal tribalistic behavior. The players are given the respect that we would have given the Alpha males that went out to fight rob and rape the other Tribes. When they win, we are happy too as it means our Tribe has shown dominance, when we lose we feel upset and even shame.

I have a friend who has what I think is an unhealthy obsession with Football. I recall one time when his team lost their derby game and he took several days off work because he was unable to sleep he was so angry and upset. Also there were some supporters of the rival club at his workplace and he couldn't face them after the defeat. It was pathetic actually, me and his girlfriend had to talk him into going back to work, it was like trying to get a kid to eat broccoli. In the end his girlfriend had to threaten him with leaving him if he didn't go back to work.

For the record I like Football, I hate the Politics of it though. I enjoy watching and playing when the weather is decent, but I cranky stand talking about it for more than 5 minutes.

I was used to play football quite a bit when younger though never much above ale house level. I am always a bit bemused by the odd highly opinionated fan I meet who never seems to have kicked a ball on anger. Generally as a sports watcher I stick to games about which I have some experience such as cricket where I used to turn my arm over fairly regularly at Colts and village team level. There are the odd exceptions like horse racing where obviously I could never afford to train and ride thoroughbreds. The die hard footie fan with two left feet, no positional sense, a tackle like a wet flannel and an inability to head the ball always reminds me of theatre critics who can not act and music critics who can't play a note. Obviously they take the game seriously but do they really understand what they are watching.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived