House Price Crash Forum

'british Schindler' Sir Nicholas Winton Dies Aged 106

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33350880

Sir Nicholas Winton, who organised the rescue of 669 children destined for Nazi concentration camps, has died aged 106.

Winton was a stockbroker when he arranged for trains to carry Jewish children out of occupied Prague.

His son-in-law Stephen Watson said he died peacefully in his sleep at Wexham Hospital, Slough.

He died on the anniversary of the departure of a train in 1939 carrying the largest number of children - 241.

Winton brought the children to Britain, battling bureaucracy at both ends, saving them from almost certain death, and then kept quiet about his exploits for a half-century.

A man deserving respect.

HOLA442

He never had a lift named after him. Deserved better.

I remember a GF almost pissing herself after seeing a "Schindler's Lifts" plaque in an elevator. She thought I was funny, but real life is even better. She thought I had stuck the label there as a joke.

The chap wouldn't have made it to 106 (rather good innings!) if he had been caught

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

One impressive thing imo is not telling anyone about it. That's pretty rare these days.

You can always hear me telling about my non-achievements! :(

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

An extraordinary human being. Sadly, the lessons of history have been forgotten by most. I fear that the UK, and indeed Europe, will become intolerable places for Jewish people to live in within my lifetime.

Well it's already well down the road in that regard in France and parts of Eastern Europe.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

One impressive thing imo is not telling anyone about it. That's pretty rare these days.

What a remarkable, wonderful man. He died knowing he had made the world a better place.

until one of the kids makes an allegation. :ph34r:

Archived