HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Yellowhammer?

Confirm....tis most certainly a yellowhammer.

Yellow hammer

Seems unanimous..

Originally I presumed it was a young blue tit but I'd never seen anything quite so yellow before.

My p1ss poor photography doesn't do him justice.. he really is striking with his bright yellow head :)

HOLA448

It seems to have brought it's own green miasma with it.

Is that some sort of FIAT van? You should go into "marketing".

I'm afraid I'm useless with this country stuff. I can just about tell a duck from a parrot.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

My p1ss poor photography doesn't do him justice.. he really is striking with his bright yellow head :)

We get them here in the garden - well, probably not now, with three cats.

They arrive around this time and stay until summer. As the breeding season progresses they get yellower and brighter until the males are positively neon in colour and really striking.

IIRC their song is said to sound like "a little bit of bread and no cheese" or similar, but I can't say I hear it like that.

They're a type of bunting, not rare, but not common either.

HOLA4420

I'm quite good at catching birds with my car. Have caught a pigeon and a seagull in the front bumper spoiler. A fieldfare in the front grille and a skylark got stuck headfirst in the gap between the bonnet and the windscreen neither wipers/screenwash or violent application of brakes would dislodge it and when I got out it turned out to miraculously still be alive. I managed to extricate it, but it seemed to be in shock, I left it on a garden wall to get its sh1t together or failing that as a tasty treat for a local cat.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I cycled over a rook once. You'd think it would squish, but it was surprisingly hard. I don't know if it actually survived, I didn't dare look back. Squeamish.

Also once in a job that involved teams of us driving round the backlanes in a landrover, and one time we started swerving all over the place, and we were all being tossed around in the back, and braked to a stop, and the driver said "pheasant" which we assumed he had being trying to avoid, but he hopped out and fetched it, to take home for his tea. He had deliberately run into it.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived