House Price Crash Forum

Charged With Having Sex With His Wife - Only In America

HOLA441

US court to decide if Alzheimer's patient was able to consent to sex

Henry Rayhons, 78, an Iowa politician, is on trial charged with sex abuse after paying conjugal visits to his septuagenarian wife, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease, in a nursing home

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11536863/US-court-to-decide-if-Alzheimers-patient-was-able-to-consent-to-sex.html

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

If it was a gay couple, then no problem.

US is totally ******ed up in some places.

As english law stands, he would also be charged here

So what happens if he says before the Alzheimer's really took hold she requested that they always have sex 3 times a week?

Consent must be given every time and the person must know what they are consenting to

HOLA445

As english law stands, he would also be charged here

Consent must be given every time and the person must know what they are consenting to

He Could be charged here.

In the US case, the third party was the complainant.

The defence is, in the UK, that the accused does reasonably believe that the other party consents.

If this law is the same in the US, he only has to show she whispered yes please. Its up to the Jury then to decide, again on the circumstances, whether this was likely or not, or whatever defence he comes up with, was likely or not.

HOLA446

He Could be charged here.

In the US case, the third party was the complainant.

The defence is, in the UK, that the accused does reasonably believe that the other party consents.

If this law is the same in the US, he only has to show she whispered yes please. Its up to the Jury then to decide, again on the circumstances, whether this was likely or not, or whatever defence he comes up with, was likely or not.

The sexual offences acts in the UK are a bloody mess, compounded with case law in attempts to 'clarify' matters

The fact a complainant is a 3rd party is neither here nor there - the authorities have been made aware of a possible offence. Heaven forbid, if a baby was abused and unable to complain, hopefully a nurse in a maternity ward would complain and the authorities would charge

She may have whispered yes - in her mind what was she whispering yes to - the point of law (in the uk at least) is it must be informed consent - and he must reasonably believe she knows what she is consenting to. Like i say the law is an absolute minefield in this area.

In this country such a case would most definitely come down to the jury - america I dunno. I would guess it comes down to how GaGa the missus is.

HOLA447

what is interesting in this case,according to the news report, is the question of the nursing home interference.

The article states the lady was put in the nursing home because she deteriorated.

for some reason they did this :"On May 15 her husband was told, among many other things, that the nursing home had concluded she was not able to consent to sex."

For me, this implies the man was coming in to visit, and had sex with his wife...otherwise, why would they even mention it?

And this is Iowa, the middle of the bible belt.

It seems the daughter didnt approve of her mother having sex (implied from the report the the daughter "had concerns"), and got the mother moved to a shared room.

The report also very poorly reports on the events of the evening in question...an alarm is raised, but that person is later to have said something....

Its all very wierd and involves a politician, a "concerned" daughter and jobsworths in the US medical industry.

HOLA448

It would depend very much on how bad the dementia was, but it's likely that if she was bad enough to be in a care home then she would very likely not be able to understand or give informed consent. And even if she said yes to a question, she may not have understood what she was asked. People with dementia will often say yes to all sorts that they don't understand or have a clue about.

HOLA449

It would depend very much on how bad the dementia was, but it's likely that if she was bad enough to be in a care home then she would very likely not be able to understand or give informed consent. And even if she said yes to a question, she may not have understood what she was asked. People with dementia will often say yes to all sorts that they don't understand or have a clue about.

of course, but there are other reasons she could have been in the care home, like the husband simply couldnt cope.

From the report, it is implied he came to visit and had his conjugals in the private room

what interests me, is why the home brought the subject up at all?

HOLA4410

of course, but there are other reasons she could have been in the care home, like the husband simply couldnt cope.

l?

The very reason relatives can no longer cope, and someone goes into a care home, is nearly always BECAUSE the dementia is advanced. Hardly anyone takes this decision lightly - it's very often when carers are at the end of their tethers.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

sex without informed consent is the legal definition of rape (in english law at least) - old codger sex is fine as long as both old codgers understand the nature of the act

Indeed, thats what I find interesting about this case...the issue of sex appears to have been brought into the frame by the daughter.

HOLA4419

Indeed, thats what I find interesting about this case...the issue of sex appears to have been brought into the frame by the daughter.

Maybe the daughter considers her mother too far gone to give that informed consent - and maybe the daughter knows the father as some domineering pig from her childhood

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Did you bother to read the newspaper article linked to in the OP?

Okay. I missed the 2007 marriage bit

maybe the daughter doesn't like him marrying her mum, or maybe there is a genuine concern. The daughter never cried rape on behalf of her mother until he was having sex with her and she was non compos mentis

HOLA4422

Maybe the daughter considers her mother too far gone to give that informed consent - and maybe the daughter knows the father as some domineering pig from her childhood

Maybe she does, but as Bruceeee says, you should read the article.

Of course, it is only an article and therefore designed to inflame and outrage.

My interest was piqued by the fact that the issue of sex and consent was brought up at all, and how the daughter has put herself in the case. After that, the report goes into the realms of fantasy and impossible timings, so the case will be of passing interest.

Saying that, I wont bother to look it up unless it comes back here for some reason.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived