House Price Crash Forum

Plane Crash In France

HOLA441
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

They've got the black box apparently so we'll probably know quite soon what was the likely cause.

In the mean time, since we're guessing, I'm going to go with either deliberate event caused by one of the pilots, or total engine failure.

HOLA444

There is nothing to indicate that the aircraft was intact during its 8 minute descent.

Did it not send accurate signals to enable the nice graphs to be produced everyone is looking at ?

That's not going to happen if the plane is in pieces. And if so - whatever was sending them would be falling at a rather faster rate.

HOLA445

Another thing - there will always be at least 5 people on a plane like that with their phones on. Would they get a signal to send a message ? 8 minutes is lots of time if you know something is happening.

HOLA446

Did it not send accurate signals to enable the nice graphs to be produced everyone is looking at ?

That's not going to happen if the plane is in pieces. And if so - whatever was sending them would be falling at a rather faster rate.

Could have been big pieces. But who knows. Time will tell. As for now, 150 people who were alive this morning are dead now - and their loved ones are in a world of grief. Awful.

HOLA447
HOLA448

They've got the black box apparently so we'll probably know quite soon what was the likely cause.

In the mean time, since we're guessing, I'm going to go with either deliberate event caused by one of the pilots, or total engine failure.

Even if it was total engine failure, surely they'd still have enough height to glide to a nearby airport..

HOLA449

Even if it was total engine failure, surely they'd still have enough height to glide to a nearby airport..

Honestly don't know.. But my logic was a fully fuelled, fully loaded passenger jet probably doesn't have great glide characteristics, but might explain the "controlled" descent while they tried to get them restarted.

HOLA4410

Honestly don't know.. But my logic was a fully fuelled, fully loaded passenger jet probably doesn't have great glide characteristics, but might explain the "controlled" descent while they tried to get them restarted.

An empty plane (such as the Gimli Glider) had a ratio of 12:1... This plane wouldn't be fully laden..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

The aircraft lost 5,000 feet (1,500 m) in 10 nautical miles (19 km; 12 mi), giving a glide ratio of approximately 12:1.

It could have possibly made Marseille..but hey, its all circumstantial...

HOLA4411

Could have been big pieces. But who knows. Time will tell. As for now, 150 people who were alive this morning are dead now - and their loved ones are in a world of grief. Awful.

Even a plane in big pieces is going to fall mighty fast though.

But yes pretty brutal for all involved.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

They can glide for hundreds of miles with no engines on.

Its a actually pretty interesting that a plane which has both engines breaking down at the same time - offers a pretty decent chance of walking away from.

(See Azores as an example)

HOLA4414

They can glide for hundreds of miles with no engines on.

Its a actually pretty interesting that a plane which has both engines breaking down at the same time - offers a pretty decent chance of walking away from.

(See Azores as an example)

Indeed, that was another one I could have cited...although different model planes will have different characteristics, so its not always that cut & dried...

HOLA4415

Indeed, that was another one I could have cited...although different model planes will have different characteristics, so its not always that cut & dried...

Yes I am far from an expert !!

I am pretty sure any large plane can glide for a pretty long way from a high altitude though.

I am actually quite staggered how few planes crash.

HOLA4416

Not a subject I claim to know very much about but aren't A320s Fly-by-Wire, no manual alternative?

If the computer/ sensors suffer a catastrophic fault there wouldn't be very much the crew could do, would there?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

If the computer/ sensors suffer a catastrophic fault there wouldn't be very much the crew could do, would there?

On an A320 there are 7 computers controlling each other (7 times redundancy) so such a thing should never happen, unless caused by an external EMP-like event...

HOLA4420

Yes I am far from an expert !!

I am pretty sure any large plane can glide for a pretty long way from a high altitude though.

I am actually quite staggered how few planes crash.

_81878172_france_a320_aircrash_gra624.pn

A quite different data profile from another online source.

Which makes me question the veracity of any 'live' onlie flight data source.

So it hit the ground at 400 knots? I wonder if its a rudder problem...although it would most likely go into a spiral dive...

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived