House Price Crash Forum

50?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Not much of a story from The Telegraph but I take so much issue with the accompanying picture:

Why your career is over at 50 Workers over the age of 50 are considerably less likely to have opportunities for career progression and skills development

retirement_1802700b.jpg

These people are not 50, more like 60. 50 is not old so stop pushing it as if it is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11424335/Why-your-career-is-over-at-50.html

(I am not 50 btw, if it matters, but don't think my career will fall off a cliff and I'll suddenly age 10 years when I do hit it)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

When you hit 50, somehow Saga gets to find out and starts to bomb you with junk mail. It's really the pits when you get your first Saga mailing after you hit 50. You think it's all over at that point. "Am I really that old?!!"

(EDIT: That woman looks more like 70 to me btw)

+1

HOLA445

I was trying to be gracious to those people!

Without going all winky-ish and mystical it is down to the individual but so many people of my grandparents' generation thought and acted old when they hit their 50s.

About 15 years ago I was working with somebody aged early 60s and due to retire, he had vast amounts of energy and enthusiasm and was looking forward to open top car holidays with the Stones blasting out. I recall that as being the time that I realised there was no need to suddenly turn into an old person at 60 let alone 50, you could just keep on going and most people I know are doing just that.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Well, the story is about over-50s. That includes those of pensionable age.

About 15 years ago I was working with somebody aged early 60s and due to retire, he had vast amounts of energy and enthusiasm and was looking forward to open top car holidays with the Stones blasting out. I recall that as being the time that I realised there was no need to suddenly turn into an old person at 60 let alone 50, you could just keep on going and most people I know are doing just that.

That'll be the generation that got the pensions. About 15 years ago was the InEquitable case, and the beginning of the long decline in what a given pension pot would buy you.

HOLA448

Without going all winky-ish and mystical it is down to the individual but so many people of my grandparents' generation thought and acted old when they hit their 50s.

Yes, you might not be so energetic on reaching 60 and realising you've got another 15 years before retiring.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yes, you might not be so energetic on reaching 60 and realising you've got another 15 years before retiring.

I would have thought most on here are financially savvy; it's the non-savers that have to work until their state pension kicks in.

That's not to say I will be retiring at 60 or before, if I'm still enjoying working I'll keep doing it.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Working at any age, younger or older in the majority of careers has nothing whatsoever to do with looks....looks should be immaterial, it is all about how skilled you are and how well you can do your job....tell that to certain ageist employers. ;)

HOLA4415

When I was about 17 I went to a business/university presentation and it was all about setting yourself up for your career. The graphic on the screen (I was going to say powerpoint, but did they have that then?) Was a Peanuts cartoon of them zooming down a slope in a handcart. I thought "hmm, career => out of control leading to a crash => I don't want a career".

Now I'm 43 and don't look much like the people in that pic...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

When you hit 50, somehow Saga gets to find out and starts to bomb you with junk mail. It's really the pits when you get your first Saga mailing after you hit 50. You think it's all over at that point. "Am I really that old?!!"

(EDIT: That woman looks more like 70 to me btw)

SAGA - what a joke.

My parents for a number of years have used SAGA home insurance. Last year when they were planning to come to Oz for my wedding they tried to get travel insurance. They (both 70 years old) were declined insurance from SAGA. They weren't even offered insurance excluding existing conditions.

Since then my Father declined their offer to renew his household insurance.

Archived