House Price Crash Forum

Use Of Encrypted E-Mail Now A "terrorist Indicator" In Spain

ChumpusRex

HOLA441
Is it possible that using secure email services can be construed as an indicator of being a terrorist? Although it’s a ridiculous notion that using secure email implies criminal activities, a judge cited that reason to partially justify arrests in Spain.

In December, as part of “an anti-terrorist initiative” Operation Pandora, over 400 copsraided 14 houses and social centers in Spain. They seized computers, books, and leaflets and arrested 11 people. Four were released under surveillance, but seven were “accused of undefined terrorism” and held in a Madrid prison. This led to “tens of thousands” participating in protests. As terrorism is alleged “without specifying concrete criminal acts,” the attorney for those seven “anarchists” denounced the lack of transparency.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2867329/microsoft-subnet/judge-cites-use-of-secure-email-riseup-as-a-potential-terrorist-indicator.html

If the use of secure e-mail now counts against you in police investigations, then things are really going down hill fast.

How much longer before we start to see this in the UK?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2867329/microsoft-subnet/judge-cites-use-of-secure-email-riseup-as-a-potential-terrorist-indicator.html

If the use of secure e-mail now counts against you in police investigations, then things are really going down hill fast.

How much longer before we start to see this in the UK?

I think it is already an offence in the UK to fail to reveal your private encryption keys when ordered to by a Court.

HOLA443

Errrr.....hang on a minute.......I thought we were being told by TPTB that all these new surveillance laws etc for routinely monitoring our regular electronic communications will NOT include the content, only to whom and from whom they are being sent.

IF the content is not being scanned then how can 'they' know that a message is encrypted UNLESS your email is being specifically targeted for surveillance and monitoring by court order/warrant because you are already under suspicion of something?

HOLA444

I think it is already an offence in the UK to fail to reveal your private encryption keys when ordered to by a Court.

What if you've genuinely bona fide forgotten them? or lost them? What then? You go to prison cos you cant remember what you did with something you thought was completely innocent and perfectly legal to use?!

HOLA445
HOLA446

What if you've genuinely bona fide forgotten them? or lost them? What then? You go to prison cos you cant remember what you did with something you thought was completely innocent and perfectly legal to use?!

Yep, that law is almost 15 years old and has been used already to jail people who refused to give up their encryption keys but nobody seems to care...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_of_Investigatory_Powers_Act_2000

In Orwellian Britain you get a jail term if you refuse to provide evidence against yourself... :ph34r:

In August 2009 it was announced that two people had been prosecuted and convicted for refusing to provide British authorities with their encryption keys, under Part III of the Act. The first of these was sentenced to a term of 9 months' imprisonment. In a 2010 case, Oliver Drage, a 19 year old takeaway worker being investigated as part of a police investigation into a child exploitation network, was sentenced, at Preston Crown Court, to four months imprisonment. Mr Drage was arrested in May 2009, after investigating officers searched his home near Blackpool. He had been required, under this act, to provide his 50-character encryption key but had not complied.

HOLA447

All this stuff isn't for real time surveillance of everybody in the uk. Just for when some nutter goes on the rampage. They can LOOK BACK and see who they had contact with and what was sent, they can then use surveillance on these 'other' people, etc etc.

The trouble is they are creating a system of oppression, maybe not for them, but who can say what will happen in the next 20 years, and Camoron will have built it.

Ever wonder why you have to turn on your phone before you get on a plane, it isn't to show that it works, it's so if the plane blows up, they can LOOK BACK at the phone records and see who was on it.

HOLA448
HOLA449

meanwhile, terrists log onto the master terrist servers via vpn, and swap info over VPN chat software, sketch transfers and word docs.

Grandma arrested for banking on line over encrypted connection...

In other news, terrists posting videos on facebook consistently ignored.

UPDATE:

Meanwhile, security "forces" arrest terrist plotting:

The affidavit filed by an FBI investigative agent alleges Cornell had “posted comments and information supportive of [iSIS] through Twitter accounts.” The FBI learned about Cornell from an unnamed informant who, as the FBI put it, “began cooperating with the FBI in order to obtain favorable treatment with respect to his criminal exposure on an unrelated case.” Acting under the FBI’s direction, the informant arranged two in-person meetings with Cornell where they allegedly discussed an attack on the Capitol, and the FBI says it arrested Cornell to prevent him from carrying out the attack.

in other words, they cant even detect terrists via open, unencrypted channels and even then get the weak minded individual, with no means to carry out his fantasies, to confess over at least two meetings...

HOLA4410

Ever wonder why you have to turn on your phone before you get on a plane, it isn't to show that it works, it's so if the plane blows up, they can LOOK BACK at the phone records and see who was on it.

What? I've been told to turn it off before, but not on.

HOLA4411

I just write all my dodgy messages on the back of a postcard, and post it!

Maybe, just when we thought that traditional paper letters in envelopes physically transported from A to B was a dying concept, Royal Mail will see an upsurge in business - as ordinary people, never mind evil dooers, seek to keep their private missives private.

HOLA4412

What? I've been told to turn it off before, but not on.

Yes I think XswampyX has been spending too much time reading conspiraloon material. The only place they might ask you to turn your phone on is when then scan your hand baggage so they can check it's a real phone and this obviously has zero value in identifying who was on a particular flight.

HOLA4413

Yes I think XswampyX has been spending too much time reading conspiraloon material. The only place they might ask you to turn your phone on is when then scan your hand baggage so they can check it's a real phone and this obviously has zero value in identifying who was on a particular flight.

It only happens to MrPin, because he uses a bright green comedy plastic phone and they want to make sure it isn't real.

HOLA4414

Come on! - I'm a loon? :lol:

What are the new security measures?

Airline passengers entering and leaving the UK on potentially any routes – not just those to and from the US – will be expected to be able to show that electronic devices in their hand luggage can be powered up. These include mobile phones and laptops but also tablet devices, MP3 players, hairdryers or straighteners, cameras and camera equipment, travel irons and electric shavers.s

source :- http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/09/airport-security-checks-electronic-devices-charged

A "burgeoning, multibillion-dollar surveillance industry" is making technology available to governments around the world that lets them "track the movements of almost anybody who carries a cell phone, whether they are blocks away or on another continent," a Washington Post investigation shows.

On Sunday, the Post reported that these surveillance systems, which vendors are marketing to government agencies overseas, exploit "an essential fact of all cellular networks: They must keep detailed, up-to-the-minute records on the locations of their customers to deliver calls and other services to them."

As long as it is turned on, your mobile phone registers its position with cell towers every few minutes, whether the phone is being used or not. Since mobile carriers are retaining location data on their customers, government officials can learn a tremendous amount of detailed personal information about you by accessing your location history from your cell phone company, ranging from which friends you're seeing to where you go to the doctor to how often you go to church.

source :- https://www.aclu.org/how-government-tracking-your-movements

So don't tell me... :rolleyes:

HOLA4415

that will tell them a device was within range of a cell.

It wont tell them who, and it wont track the phone through the air, onto a plane or anything else.

It is rumoured phones may respond even while off.

And crew tell you to turn off phones as it may interfere with mystery really rubbish equipment on the plane itself.

Of course, none of this is to do with Governments...its all about sending you a bill and other networks charging your network for using their cells.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

It only happens to MrPin, because he uses a bright green comedy plastic phone and they want to make sure it isn't real.!

I have no phone!

HOLA4418

Well, I don't want to be rude, but you are all fools!

Turning on a phone doesn't prove it's not a bomb, but it does prove that phone was there and at that time. Doh!

I think its laptops they are concerned about, as some sniffer dogs confuse the battery with explosive.

In any case, how long do they check it light up...mine takes about a minute to even start...are you saying they hold up the queue for every phone that comes through?

HOLA4419

that will tell them a device was within range of a cell.

It wont tell them who, and it wont track the phone through the air, onto a plane or anything else.

Exactly. They have been able to triangulate approximate positions for decades now. No need to 'check in' at the nearest mast by turning the phone on. :rolleyes:

Planes travel faster than GSM can swap cells anyway, even if there was signal at 36,000 ft.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I think its laptops they are concerned about, as some sniffer dogs confuse the battery with explosive.

In any case, how long do they check it light up...mine takes about a minute to even start...are you saying they hold up the queue for every phone that comes through?

I don't know, because I haven't flown since this came in... I would imagine that they would tell the people in the queue that they need to have their phone on to pass through, if your phone isn't on when you get to the security check they will pull you to one side and make you turn it on, and generally hassle you. etc etc.

HOLA4422

I don't know, because I haven't flown since this came in... I would imagine that they would tell the people in the queue that they need to have their phone on to pass through, if your phone isn't on when you get to the security check they will pull you to one side and make you turn it on, and generally hassle you. etc etc.

They don't. You can go through security with phones switched off in your bag with no problems.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Planes travel faster than GSM can swap cells anyway, even if there was signal at 36,000 ft.

I've heard it claimed that that's the real reason they want them switched off, the network gets confused rather than for anything to do with the plane.

Still entirely happy not actually having one.

Archived