House Price Crash Forum

Can You Patch Repair A Carpet?

HOLA441

LOL I had the same carpet in my rented flat for 11 years, and I think it was probably about ten years old when I moved in!

They don;t make them liek they used to!

Seriously modern cheap carpet is so shocking there would be nothing left in hard tread areas after 20 years. Certainly wouldsteer well clear of wool though, carpet moths are a nightmare!

HOLA442
  • 7 months later...
HOLA443
HOLA444

I did nothing, landlord said nothing and returned in full the (unprotected) deposit.

when rented again, it had new carpet.

Thanks for the report back, I will now be able to sleep at night :)

But seriously though, always when good when people report back. Sounds like it went pretty much as I expected. Suppose it really depends on the landlord, carpet isn't cheap but some must know it will be easier to rent a place that looks fresh and clean when on the market.

HOLA445

Thanks for the report back, I will now be able to sleep at night :)

But seriously though, always when good when people report back. Sounds like it went pretty much as I expected. Suppose it really depends on the landlord, carpet isn't cheap but some must know it will be easier to rent a place that looks fresh and clean when on the market.

Seemed reasonable to report back seeing that there is another topical carpet issue.

HOLA446

Carpets wear out. You are hardly likely to get a $4000 Chinese silk rug in a rental.

They become amortized over time, and the LL will probably replace it with another £1.99 sq/m one when the place is relet.

I made a burn hole in carpet once, and I had to pay a nominal amount out of my deposit because actually I did it welding. :blink:

Or you could simply put a Dalek on it so it doesn't notice.

HOLA447

Could you use one of those carpet samples (which are about 50cm squared) and just cut a section out of it to replace the damaged section.

They often give those away at the Carpet Warehouses or sometimes only charge a nominal fee (50p).

If you looked through a fair number of them I would have thought you might find something that matched well enough.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

There's a section of our living room carpet which is missing - when we brought in a stray (that kept attacking ours, so we had no choice but to act) and kept him in the living room away from ours until we could get him adopted, he initially scratched out a small piece near the door.

I did have plans to source a small section of something similar and basically Pritt-Stick it to the floor with a bit of duck tape underneath joining it to the rest of the carpet.

That was, until our three new cats ruined the rest of it necessitating complete replacement.

Archived