House Price Crash Forum

Shelter: Millions Worried About Housing Costs

HOLA441

From Sky News

More than three million people are worried they won't be able to make rent or mortgage payments this month, according to new research.

Research from the charity Shelter and polling company YouGov found more than half of people (59%) are already struggling to keep up with housing costs.

Shelter says it has seen a surge in the number of people visiting its website for advice on mortgage and rent arrears.

The charity has urged anyone who is having difficulties to not ignore the problem and get help as soon as possible to avoid their homes being put at risk.

But the research found that more than a quarter of people (26%) would feel too ashamed to ask for help if they were struggling.

Shelter's helpline adviser Nadeem Khan said: "Every day at Shelter we hear from people who are feeling overwhelmed by mounting rent or mortgage bills, as the increasing pressure of sky high housing costs continues to take its toll.

"Many have spent a long time thinking they have nowhere to turn and are often close to breaking point by the time they come to us.

"If you're in this situation, its so important to remember youre not alone and that help is available."

One of those who is worried about paying her rent each month is Katherine, a mother-of-two from Yorkshire, who spoke to the charity.

She said: "I work every hour I can to support my family but each month I wonder if I'm going to able to make my rent, and I'm expecting things to be especially bad after Christmas, even though we cut back on spending as much as we could.

"I've borrowed money from family and even had to stop paying bills to keep the roof over my children's heads.

"It's horrible to start another year not knowing if I can afford to keep my home."

HOLA442
HOLA443

i used to like shelter but feel like by not addressing the root causes of the housing crisis. I feel they let a lot of people down due to it.

Yeah...werent a couple of years ago they harping on about people being denied mortgages, being 'frozen out of housing'

Well, looks like they got their mortgages and shelter got their wish. The results being shown in this thread.

HOLA444

Yeah...werent a couple of years ago they harping on about people being denied mortgages, being 'frozen out of housing'

Well, looks like they got their mortgages and shelter got their wish. The results being shown in this thread.

+1

HOLA445

I went off them when they started advocating shared ownership. Just the fact that shared ownership is needed to buy a house means the house is too expensive. Don't know the breakdown of their funding in England but in NI our shelter is called housing rights and it is funded by the housing executive. They are just another part of the establishment.

Any decent charity or grass roots organisation would be addressing the root causes and fighting them. This latest statement will be read by government as 'give the banks more money and landlords more tax breaks.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I haven't supported them for ages. Never a mention of the basic problem, just a lot of Evil Tories, evil Tory bedroom tax, evil Tory cuts in housing benefit. I have often wondered whether most of their senior staff are in fact LLs with strings of HB properties up north, where yields can be very high if HUTH is anything to go by.

HOLA4410

I haven't supported them for ages. Never a mention of the basic problem, just a lot of Evil Tories, evil Tory bedroom tax, evil Tory cuts in housing benefit. I have often wondered whether most of their senior staff are in fact LLs with strings of HB properties up north, where yields can be very high if HUTH is anything to go by.

Sarah Piggott, a former lawyer for housing charity Shelter is one of the West Brom crew.

"I'm not a sophisticated buy-to-let investor – just someone who has moved house more than once and chosen to rent the house I'm leaving rather than sell it, and I don't think their discriminatory rule should apply to me,” she said. “I'm more of a multiple landlord by accident, and it's certainly not my business in any sense of the word."

This makes me laugh out loud. Every time. Then it depresses me because people actually seem to accept that it is possible for a person to accidentally rent out a property, And Sarah, well she’s a super duper unlucky accidental landlord coz she has done it 3 times.

Ex shelter lawyer, nuff said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/buy-to-let/11226776/Ombudsman-rules-that-lender-West-Brom-can-raise-tracker-mortgage-rate-without-Bank-Rate-rise.html

HOLA4411

So 58% of home occupiers are worried about their rent/mortgage.

And only 2 in 5 homes are bought with a mortgage.

So if you strike out the percentage (?) of people that own a home outright, I suspect the real number is what, 3 out of 4 people who eiTher rent or pay a mortgage?

in other words, pretty much everybody is ******ed.

HOLA4412

So 58% of home occupiers are worried about their rent/mortgage.

And only 2 in 5 homes are bought with a mortgage.

So if you strike out the percentage (?) of people that own a home outright, I suspect the real number is what, 3 out of 4 people who eiTher rent or pay a mortgage?

in other words, pretty much everybody is ******ed.

And if you believe the report (I actually don`t know anyone who is struggling with their mortgage or rent) then this is happening with record low interest rates! What happens if rates move up any time in the next century?

HOLA4413
Guest Jemmy Button

And if you believe the report (I actually don`t know anyone who is struggling with their mortgage or rent) then this is happening with record low interest rates! What happens if rates move up any time in the next century?

They are probably just not telling you...