• Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

No voters are just the same as the boomer generation. I'm all right jack. Not wanting to rock the boat. Consigning younger generations to Tory rule from Westminster. I am shocked that anyone that reads HPC could even contemplate voting for more of the same. It is completely hypocritical.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

The Lewes Bonfire Processions are the most famous in the country and people travel in their 10,000s to see and be a part of it.

They always burn effigies representing things that have annoyed during the past year - a few years ago there was an uproar when they burnt an effigy of a gypsy caravan. I would have thought one of Alex Salmond would have been perfect, and I'm glad they went ahead and blew one up anyway.

HOLA4411

Speaking as someone who is Scottish and would have voted for Scottish independence had I been allowed to, I regard the tradition of burning effigies of politicians as an important part of our culture of freedom of expression and I find the Salmond one (and the others) quite funny.

I don't think that anyone participating would seriously want Salmond himself burned. It is satire, theatre and part of a rich tradition of open contempt for authority figures.

I am sure, and would hope, that Salmond is big enough to take it in his stride. Anyone in politics who regards themselves as being above criticism, even if ritualised effigy burning, is too delicate and precious for the rough-and-tumble of politics.

HOLA4412
I am sure, and would hope, that Salmond is big enough to take it in his stride. Anyone in politics who regards themselves as being above criticism, even if ritualised effigy burning, is too delicate and precious for the rough-and-tumble of politics.

Hard to see who was being appeased. Can't imagine Salmond himself letting it bother him. Nor, to be fair, today's other senior politicians.

But on reading your words, a muttering goes wickedly through my head. Something along the lines of " ... bigoted womanpeople ...".

HOLA4413

Speaking as someone who is Scottish and would have voted for Scottish independence had I been allowed to, I regard the tradition of burning effigies of politicians as an important part of our culture of freedom of expression and I find the Salmond one (and the others) quite funny.

I don't think that anyone participating would seriously want Salmond himself burned. It is satire, theatre and part of a rich tradition of open contempt for authority figures.

Good post.

A bit like Spitting Image, politicians are sometimes glad of the attention. Salmond popular enough for 'ridicule' in England.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Well the whole event revolves around the burning of a Catholic. As a practising Catholic perhaps I should campaign to have the event banned. Especially as most people reckon Guy Fawkes was the last honest man to enter Parliament.

Yes and no. The effigy of a historical Pope is burned at Lewes fireworks, because several Protestants were burned alive in Lewes in the 16th century.

As long as everyone sticks to effigies I am sure we will be OK.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Thirdway can't you see the whole thing is meant to be a piss take and a joke. ^

That's the entire point.

Indeed it is! I never was asked to prove I wasn't ever a Catholic! :blink:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

But at Felching Barton Bonfire Night you put bangers up badger's bottoms, don't you? :wacko:

And by bangers, I mean cars that have failed the MOT. :blink:

Perhaps you would like the Felching Barton Mummers, to aid the small town of Gurt Clodney, to retrieve the Church Bell, on St; Winnifred's day? The clapper on it is a musical electronic dildo, and is very hygienic!

HOLA4424

Well the whole event revolves around the burning of a Catholic. As a practising Catholic perhaps I should campaign to have the event banned. Especially as most people reckon Guy Fawkes was the last honest man to enter Parliament.

Absolutely. But remember only Scottish nats are allowed to be offended, everybody else has to take it in good spirit.

HOLA4425

He was a Yorkshireman first though, but it has always been a good excuse to burn all the rubbish that gathers up during the year, so I don't mind.

Archived