House Price Crash Forum

Do Condensation Traps Work In Cars?

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

Got in my car last night and it was like the Amazon rainforest on the inside of the screen - moisture and alligators everywhere. OK, no alligators.

Anyhow, what is the best way to reduce condensation inside a car during the winter months? I was thinking of one of those condensation trap things with the crystals and the plastic container to suck in the moisture? Do they work?

Or is there a better way other than moving to a dryer climate?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Tends to affect older cars as leaks and old seals begin to take a toll unless you are bringing a lot fo damp clothes into the car. Definitely give a gel moisture trap a go, they work well generally.

Also trips on sunny / warmer days wind the windows down and give the car a good airing.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Saw a couple of small gadgets filled with drying agent yesterday as I could do with something for a fitted wardrobe on an outside wall.

One changes colour when it's full then you plug it into to dry it, the other were eggs which you then microwave to dry out. These were bioth abourt £15 and I think I cna do cheaper, will be checking out Wilkos, and Lidl/Aldi who might do them at one stage.

HOLA4410

Got in my car last night and it was like the Amazon rainforest on the inside of the screen - moisture and alligators everywhere. OK, no alligators.

Anyhow, what is the best way to reduce condensation inside a car during the winter months? I was thinking of one of those condensation trap things with the crystals and the plastic container to suck in the moisture? Do they work?

I take it your car doesn't have air conditioning/climate control?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They do work in houses. I had a problem in two corners of two rooms. A 1950s detached bungalow double brick skin with cavity.. not really as good as modern thermal blocks, radiator heat was condensing on cold walls.

Got a couple of Aero 360s at Wilko for a tenner each positioned in said corners and no problem since.

Just didn't fancy a bulky dehumidifier, cheaper to run though because Aero 360 needs replacement filters.

HOLA4416

Sounds like your head gasket's gone.

HOLA4417

Sounds like your head gasket's gone.

If that was the problem surely the CH temperature would rise plus other tell tale signs such as the engine blowing up??

They do work in houses. I had a problem in two corners of two rooms. A 1950s detached bungalow double brick skin with cavity.. not really as good as modern thermal blocks, radiator heat was condensing on cold walls.

Got a couple of Aero 360s at Wilko for a tenner each positioned in said corners and no problem since.

Just didn't fancy a bulky dehumidifier, cheaper to run though because Aero 360 needs replacement filters.

They work in houses (I have a delonghi des12 running continuously now (since last week until the warmer weather returns).

I doubt they'll work as effectively in a car environment though(tin can) as it'll lose heat much quicker than in an insulated house and drop the water out of the air faster than the capacity for the desiccant to mop up the moist air. Surely?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This might sound daft, but hear me out.

You say you park on a steep slope.

Try parking facing the opposite direction.

There might just be a leak/mositure trap that feeds into the interior, that is less vulnerable if you point the car the other way.

Nice bit of lateral thinking there, a very good point.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived