House Price Crash Forum

Third Year University Students Heading For Carousel

HOLA441

Anybody else come across this or indeed exprerienced it. Just saw this in my niece this week.

They have spent their whole life thinking life is about education and now the experience is about to end and they see an uncertain future, the red light is about to go out and they are suffering from Carousel Syndrome.

That sinking feeling that the holiday is nearing its end, but worse still it has all been on the credit card.

I think there has been co-ersion....the parents have wanted their kids to have the rite of passage, the graduation ceremony is akin to a wedding ceremony for the bride's mother.

But I sense that as it comes to an end some students become depressed, uncertain about their choice and the future.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA442

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11109825/Universities-still-recruiting-students-a-month-after-A-levels.html

'Universities still recruiting students a month after A-levels

The vast majority of universities – including many leading institutions – are still recruiting students more than a month after the publication of A-level results, the Telegraph has learnt.

It underlines the scale of the competition between institutions to recruit students following the introduction of government reforms giving them powers to expand this year.

But the sheer scale of late recruitment will prompt concerns that some students may be admitted despite being unfit for the academic demands of their course.

It also emerged that some universities are operating a two-tier clearing system by closing courses to British students while keeping them open for those from outside the EU who can be charged far higher fees.'

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I never attended my graduation ceremony at Plymouth (the place with the chairs). I was one of two to get a first in electronic engineering, but was busy working.

I was also one of two who took it upon themselves to find a placement year during second and third year.

I basically went door knocking at trade shows handing out my CV in person and looking for managers at the stands, it worked out well for me.

Most students had an easy life and spent most of their lives in education, for them the third year marks the end of education and not the beginning of an exciting career.

HOLA446

Third year undergrads avoiding the moment they have to get a proper job..

"Well, like I'm in this band at Uni, on Youtube and that, and we think we're about to break through. So I'm going to like give it a year.gigging..

"I wanna go travelling for a bit.."

"I'm gonna do an MA to put myself ahead of the pack..."

HOLA447

To be honest now to distinguish yourself now you need an MA/MSc. However the funding of said course itself poses a problem for most. Finding £2.5k+ a year if doing it part time will cause most people problems.

However most fail to realise they aren't at Uni to live the dream they are there paying £30k to stay off the unemployment stats.

Not surprised the Uni's will take anyone in, after a couple of weeks your liable for the debt and if you leave they are up £2-3k.

HOLA448

I never attended my graduation ceremony at Plymouth (the place with the chairs). I was one of two to get a first in electronic engineering, but was busy working.

I was also one of two who took it upon themselves to find a placement year during second and third year.

I basically went door knocking at trade shows handing out my CV in person and looking for managers at the stands, it worked out well for me.

Most students had an easy life and spent most of their lives in education, for them the third year marks the end of education and not the beginning of an exciting career.

;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Third year undergrads avoiding the moment they have to get a proper job..

"Well, like I'm in this band at Uni, on Youtube and that, and we think we're about to break through. So I'm going to like give it a year.gigging..

"I wanna go travelling for a bit.."

A lot of collusion from the higher educational establishment and indeed Government too. It seems that students are almost encouraged to spend years in education and discovery....take the A levels, retake the A levels, go to University, do the gap year, do an MA......and you are into your late twenties. It seems a lot of circus and messing for something that could be crammed into half the time or less. Maybe it is contrived because the jobs just don't exist.

We are told about the life earnings premium, but is that because University entrants are brighter anyway and will earn more whether they go to University or not.

I was born a bear and I will die and bear and getting into debt over future uncertainties would be a real downer for me. Would I be dreading Carousel in year three, you bet.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

LOL, so did I, they were called A levels.

during my course, (3 hours a week for 8 weeks) the school official came in the last day and gave us the pitch for the next course.

This was a NOC level 2 course...the blurb said this was equivalent to O level.

I asked her, what was the difference between a full year O level and this NOC 2 course, as they were both O levels.

She said the difference was that one was NOC2 and the other an O level. I pressed and asked why NOC2 took 8 weeks of 3 hours and an O level took a year, yet they were the same.

She just grinned and said they were different, yet qualified you the same academically speaking.

So now I have 13 O levels. or not.

HOLA4415

Finishing university is another life milestone. For many they might never of had a real 9-5 (or longer) job before, and it might also be a while before they get one. It is unlikely to be their dream job either - although it might take a while to realise it. Plus you are likely back at home stuck with your parents (who no-more wanted you there than you wanted to be there) - and cut off from any university friends.

Basically, you are now an adult proper - and have to look after yourself.

HOLA4416

We are told about the life earnings premium, but is that because University entrants are brighter anyway and will earn more whether they go to University or not.

There is an inherent selection bias as that data is based on graduates earnings 1960 to 2014.During the bulk of that period University attendance was restricted to less than 10% of the population.The current flood of graduates will dampen that data by 2025 maybe???

HOLA4417