House Price Crash Forum

Conservatory

cathygrange

HOLA441

I would greatly appreciate some recommendations, advice or general observations about beginning one of these from scratch.

Types of glass? D.I.Y ones and get your own builder? Or companies that do it all and well?

Good/bad experiences, as I am about to embark on getting one for my house and not sure where to start.

Thank-you.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I've never lived in a house with a conservatory, nor have I built one... so no substantial experience to offer.

However, I don't like the idea of them very much, and would even find them a bit off-putting if I was considering buying a house, for example, that happened to have one.

I just get the impression that they're far too hot for half of the year and far too cold for the other half.

Can someone with conservatory experience straighten me out here, or am I more or less correct?

HOLA444
HOLA445

Too hot in summer, too cold in winter, too noisy when it rains, too transparent if you're overlooked by neighbours. Build a single story extension instead. By all means slap a Velux window in the roof if you must.

You can keep the temp more stable by using low emissivity glass in the side glazing and using solar reflectors in a polycarbonate roof or something like argon filled Pilkington Activ sealed units in the roof.

Do that and a little ventilation will keep even a south facing conservatory comfortable in summer. In the winter a low sun will warm the space otherwise a small heater will do the job when you need a little extra.

If you're getting one built go with a small independent outfit. You might avoid vat that way and you'll avoid big company prices, shit sub-contractors and evaporating guarantees. Get a recommendation and speak to past customers.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

We are just having a conservatory built just now. 3m x 5.5m

60% brick to match house, cavity walls, high tech glass that reflects summer heat and insulates in winter.

Radiator added to central heating..

Classed as extension so required permission & building regs.

If we had spent £10k on a wickes job it would indeed be unusable for 3-4 months a year.

Ours should be ok above -5 and below 30c.

final bill c. £25k. Issues are soluble but expensive.

We took the yoda approach "Do or do not, there is no try"

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

No replies yet - they are mainly Londoners on here, but I'm not and I'm new here like you.

We had the builders in to do some work round the back. You can use the plans if you like.

brick-privy-small.gif

I haven't seen an outside crapper since I were a young 'un!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I think it depends on how good it is.

Our last rental had one and it was exactly as described by some, too hot in the summer and too cold in winter. It had no central heating and we had an oiled filled radiator in there otherwise we couldn't use it from October-March.

This has put me off having another one but I do think they are probably better constructed now so like hotblack42, go big or go home if you're going to get one.

I'm not sure if an orangery is a better option or if they're much of a muchness.

HOLA4415

I bet you haven't travelled 'Yorkshire Airlines' either then ...

I probly should do! SunderlandAir charges extra for more than two whippets! :blink:

Archived