House Price Crash Forum

F1

HOLA441

We seem to have a situation where Bernie Ecclestone is trying to micro manage things to make things more exciting as he perceives it. I read today that he would like drivers to get a time penalty in qualifying based on how well they performed in the last race - ie the winner of the last race gets a big penalty to push him down the grid.

This kind of managed excitement is never going to work IMO. You can't penalise someone for their success, or they will just stop playing. The drivers are there to win world championships, not take part in a stage-managed WWF style pantomime.

That said, I am in favour of restricting the info that can be given to the driver over the radio, so that they have to manage their own performance based on their own skill and feedback from the car. And personally I'd like to see some restrictions on the complexity of the front wing, so that the cars can actually follow another one and get a chance of overtaking, rather than being totally unsettled by the turbulence of the car in front.

As things stand at the moment, F1 is in danger of becoming a bore, even to people like me, who have followed it for 20+ years.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest eight

That said, I am in favour of restricting the info that can be given to the driver over the radio, so that they have to manage their own performance based on their own skill and feedback from the car. And personally I'd like to see some restrictions on the complexity of the front wing, so that the cars can actually follow another one and get a chance of overtaking, rather than being totally unsettled by the turbulence of the car in front.

I don'y get the resistance over this. Everybody knows it's the answer, there's no marketing benefit from having them (can't even get a decent logo on one), there's no great relevance to road cars, and it just turns into a financial arms race over who can extract the most air pressure out of a few square cm's of carbon fibre. It's utterly pointless and ripe for change, yet its never, ever addressed. Why not?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Well I quite enjoyed it. Hard to draw any real conclusions what with it being the first day back at school and all that, but delighted to see Haas and Grosjean get such a result, although I think it might be some time before the stars align like that for them again. Also pleased to see Ferrari taking it to Mercedes - if they hadn't messed up over the red flag I think they'd have been right there. And Palmer was a lot of fun to watch, especially with Verstappen and Sainz slugging it out at the same time.

Alonso crash was horrible. When the Sky commentator said he was sitting in the gravel trap and I saw the wreckage next to him, my first thought was that there was a 3rd car involved and that some poor sod was still stuck in that mangled pile of bits. Maybe it looked worse than it was, but it looked shocking to me.

HOLA448

I don'y get the resistance over this. Everybody knows it's the answer, there's no marketing benefit from having them (can't even get a decent logo on one), there's no great relevance to road cars, and it just turns into a financial arms race over who can extract the most air pressure out of a few square cm's of carbon fibre. It's utterly pointless and ripe for change, yet its never, ever addressed. Why not?

It's funny isn't it - the teams spend a lot of time bitching about various rules and regs and what have you, but after all that, they are still designing cars that are designed to perform best in clear air, so in reality they only have themselves to blame.

There is one simple change that would revolutionise F1 - Don't bugger about restricting wings etc. simply decree that a clutch and fully manual gearbox is required.

I see what you mean, and I'm sure you're right but I can't see manual gearboxes ever coming back. The F1 world would feel that was like stepping back into 1990 or so, which isn't ideal in a sport which feeds so much technology into modern road cars.

HOLA449

Well I quite enjoyed it. Hard to draw any real conclusions what with it being the first day back at school and all that, but delighted to see Haas and Grosjean get such a result, although I think it might be some time before the stars align like that for them again. Also pleased to see Ferrari taking it to Mercedes - if they hadn't messed up over the red flag I think they'd have been right there. And Palmer was a lot of fun to watch, especially with Verstappen and Sainz slugging it out at the same time.

Alonso crash was horrible. When the Sky commentator said he was sitting in the gravel trap and I saw the wreckage next to him, my first thought was that there was a 3rd car involved and that some poor sod was still stuck in that mangled pile of bits. Maybe it looked worse than it was, but it looked shocking to me.

Yes, the Alonso crash was shocking. The gravel trap didn't seem to work - too much energy going into that gravel and the car just continued onwards. Some commentators suggested that the gravel trap actually flung the car but that sounds like luvvie understanding of physics. Alonso was very lucky to walk away from that.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Do they still have lights on the steering wheel telling them when to change up or down the gears?

The radio thing of the mechanics telling the driver what to do should have gone years ago. Hilarious when we get a certain driver radioing in to ask what typpe of tyres he is on.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Yes, the Alonso crash was shocking. The gravel trap didn't seem to work - too much energy going into that gravel and the car just continued onwards. Some commentators suggested that the gravel trap actually flung the car but that sounds like luvvie understanding of physics. Alonso was very lucky to walk away from that.

I think it was just a suspension rod that dug in and flipped him - both front wheels were gone in the initial impact so all those parts would have been exposed as soon as he reached the gravel trap. But the protection the cars provide these days is staggering.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Mebbie. Can you buy the F1 channel for that? I'm genuinely ignorant on this as I haven't had Sky for a number of years now.

Then you will be wise, not ignorant. ^_^

HOLA4416

Sky to have exclusive TV rights in the UK from 2019, surely the death knell for the sports popularity here: http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/24/sky-exclusive-formula-1-tv-rights/

I've been watching F1 for about 24-25 years but I'm not sure I want to buy a Sky package to keep watching.

I begrudgingly shelled out for it on the basis that at the time it worked out at something like £7 per race weekend. In all fairness, the extent and quality of their coverage and comment is absolutely brilliant. You really do get a lot for the money - the biggest problem for me is finding the time to watch enough of it. However, I looked at what I was paying per month recently and was a little shocked to find it had gone up a fair bit since I signed up - might be time to put in the "I'm going to leave unless you do something" call, which generally yields quite positive results.

But I do completely agree with the people saying that this is a negative move for the future of the sport - if you exclude the people who can't or won't pay for it, things are only going to go downhill.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

What is the fascination with F1? Possibly the most boring sport to watch live. It's ONLY decent to watch on TV.

I went on a stag do to Barcelona and we watched some F1 - and jeeeeez how boring it was! Unless you knew who the drivers were, and cared, it became utterly confusing knowing who was in the lead in the end. You sit there on one corner or straigth piece of road and....see people wizz past. And you have no idea what ranking they are.

Boring boring boring.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4419

So Verstappen gets promoted to Red Bull and Kvyat gets demoted to Toro Rosso.

I can't say I'm surprised, and I know it's a hard and unfair sport for a driver, but it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth when someone is treated like that. After spending all last season making complete knobs of themselves in their spat with Renault, Red Bull don't really seem to have learned much about public image - it's as if they think they're completely untouchable, and I think they are quite badly mistaken there.

I wish Verstappen all the best, but I would absolutely wet myself if he were to run into the back of Vettel at the fist corner in Barcelona. And yes, I will be hoping for exactly that.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest eight

So Verstappen gets promoted to Red Bull and Kvyat gets demoted to Toro Rosso.

I can't say I'm surprised, and I know it's a hard and unfair sport for a driver, but it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth when someone is treated like that. After spending all last season making complete knobs of themselves in their spat with Renault, Red Bull don't really seem to have learned much about public image - it's as if they think they're completely untouchable, and I think they are quite badly mistaken there.

I wish Verstappen all the best, but I would absolutely wet myself if he were to run into the back of Vettel at the fist corner in Barcelona. And yes, I will be hoping for exactly that.

I've actually got Max Verstappen in the death sweepstake, so here's hoping that either the extra pace is too much for him, or that Kvyat seeks him out with an axe.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived