House Price Crash Forum

F1

HOLA441
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Don't normally watch this but did today.

Must say F1 does seem to have livened up a bit this season. I have watched two races so far and both were great.

I ahve some sympathy for Rosberg. Ultimately the Merc drivers can race each other to destruction or follow team orders so one (and the team) can win.

'Twas always thus.

F1 is about much more than the drivers, it's about the team, drivers are employees and are expected to do as they're told for the good of the team.

As for team orders, in the 50s, if the lead driver's car broke, the team would call in the number two and give the car to the number one to finish the race.

Having said that, I like Rosberg and hope he wins the drivers championship.

HOLA444

It looked like Rosberg's fault but I think Hamilton could have seen it coming and kept a wide line out of the corner without losing his position. What other team can he go to next season with a reasonable chance of winning?

Please Ricciardo won, good driver.

What Rosberg, or whiny wonder kid?

Agree with you re Ricciardo, a breath of fresh air. Like Alan Jones before him, a good honest racer who just gets on with the job.

HOLA445

'Twas always thus.

F1 is about much more than the drivers, it's about the team, drivers are employees and are expected to do as they're told for the good of the team.

As for team orders, in the 50s, if the lead driver's car broke, the team would call in the number two and give the car to the number one to finish the race.

Having said that, I like Rosberg and hope he wins the drivers championship.

I agree. I think this whole thing started when the team orders were refused in Hungary. Irrespective of whether you agree with those orders, you have to obey, as you are paid by the team for the benefit of the team. The time to argue is after the race.

To me whether intentional or not, Rosberg is laying it down to the bosses - this is what can happen if both your drivers are out for themselves. So do you want that, or do you want team discipline ?

I think Rosberg will win this battle.

HOLA446

I agree. I think this whole thing started when the team orders were refused in Hungary. Irrespective of whether you agree with those orders, you have to obey, as you are paid by the team for the benefit of the team. The time to argue is after the race.

To me whether intentional or not, Rosberg is laying it down to the bosses - this is what can happen if both your drivers are out for themselves. So do you want that, or do you want team discipline ?

I think Rosberg will win this battle.

Rosberg is no fool. He turned down an offer to study engineering, at Imperial College, to concentrate on his racing career. Had he decided on a career in engineering, he could have been working for the team in a different capacity.

HOLA447
HOLA448

From watching the replays Rosberg appears to need driving lessons. You can't possibly win a corner from behind when your opponent has the racing line. He should have backed off and tried again next lap (or with DRS a lap or two later)

He was lucky not to wreck his own race as well as Hamilton's

Truth is, Hamilton would win any straight fight, Rosburg knows he's only ahead because of car troubles on the other side of the garage - he's scared and hoping his lead will be enough.

Rosberg has more poles than Hamilton. He is faster.

Hamilton is better at overtaking than Rosberg IMO. So to me that's a score draw.

As regards car reliability, that can be a function of driver as well, not just the team mechanics and engineering / luck.

If I was the merc boss I would say to them whoever qualifies fastest wins the race position.

HOLA449

Rosberg has more poles than Hamilton. He is faster.

Hamilton is better at overtaking than Rosberg IMO. So to me that's a score draw.

Not sure I agree with the first point, you're talking about hundredths if not thousandths of seconds so I'm not sure you can draw any meaningful conclusion from that.

I think Rosberg had an exceptionally poor race yesterday, taking out your teammate like that is unforgivable and he also managed to flat-spot and destroy his second set of tyres.

HOLA4410

Not sure I agree with the first point, you're talking about hundredths if not thousandths of seconds so I'm not sure you can draw any meaningful conclusion from that.

I think Rosberg had an exceptionally poor race yesterday, taking out your teammate like that is unforgivable and he also managed to flat-spot and destroy his second set of tyres.

Well, F1 is decided on hundreths/ thousanths of a second.

I agree with your second point though. In the kerfuffle over the Hamilton incident, I'd forgotten about the tyre flat spot. If he hadn't done this then surely he would have won, if not show up by further inferior passing ... ?

HOLA4411

Rosberg is no fool. He turned down an offer to study engineering, at Imperial College, to concentrate on his racing career. Had he decided on a career in engineering, he could have been working for the team in a different capacity.

Why on earth would Rosberg want to study Engineering at Imperial after what his father did in 1982???

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Why on earth would Rosberg want to study Engineering at Imperial after what his father did in 1982???

Or maybe because kids don't always want to do what their parents do ?

Anyway, being a successful racing driver these days is also about understanding engineering, knowing how the car feels and being to describe that back to the team in order that they can improve it and make it match more closely to the racing style of the driver. It's no good just parking the car in the garage, saying it feels like crap to the team and stomping off.

HOLA4414

From watching the replays Rosberg appears to need driving lessons. You can't possibly win a corner from behind when your opponent has the racing line. He should have backed off and tried again next lap (or with DRS a lap or two later)

He was lucky not to wreck his own race as well as Hamilton's

Truth is, Hamilton would win any straight fight, Rosburg knows he's only ahead because of car troubles on the other side of the garage - he's scared and hoping his lead will be enough.

Well you can, but will be immediately retaken on the next corner, most probably. It was pure intimidation tactics.

Without repeating too much what's been said before, Rosberg can't have known for sure the collision would damage Hamilton while leaving him relatively unscathed - so he was prepared for both to go off and thus he thought Hamilton realising this would yield but Hamilton realised he was on the line, ahead and so moved across. All decisions and actions made within half a second. (And neither could have done otherwise, haha!)

HOLA4415

I don't remember any serious animosity between Rosberg and Schumacher during their three years as Mercedes teammates, but Hamilton's year at Mclaren, with Alonso, degenerated into an all out media whinge war. History is repeating.

The good news is that the FIA have, apparently, declined to get involved... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2734131/Nico-Rosberg-escapes-sanction-Formula-One-governing-body-crash-team-mate-Lewis-Hamilton-Spa.html

HOLA4416

I don't remember any serious animosity between Rosberg and Schumacher during their three years as Mercedes teammates, but Hamilton's year at Mclaren, with Alonso, degenerated into an all out media whinge war. History is repeating.

I guess that's what happens when you have two closely matched drivers in a highly competetive car.

IIRC the problmes from 2007 mostly stemmed from Alonso's belief that he should be a clear number 1, Hamilton wasn't having any of that and I can't say I blame him.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Hamilton (and his team) did very well to take full advantage of Rosberg's misfortune.

I do hope we're not heading to a non-interesting finish to the season whereby a frustrated Rosberg DNFs repeatedly due to tech issues and 'pushing too hard' - it must be maddening to know that your team-mate has that 1/10s on you.

With a little help from their team?

http://www.espn.co.uk/italy/motorsport/story/174641.html

http://www.espn.co.uk/italy/motorsport/story/174579.html

HOLA4419

No, I meant that Hamilton is generally quicker by a margin (especially when qualifying without problems).

There's no way Rosberg would have 'let' Hamilton win by pretending to make a mistake, he was being reeled in at 0.5s per lap and made an error. Jackie Stewart says there was no tyre lock up but when I watched it on TV the front right was lit up - if Rosberg had flatted it he would have had problems for several laps.

If you're into conspiracy theories then the more recent GP with Rosberg's non-functioning steering wheel is probably an easier pick - Hamilton probably swapped some wires about with his penknife when no-one was looking? One of Hamilton's race team sprinkled some iron filings into it?

I know what you meant, but I don't agree that Hamilton is the quicker driver. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall they're pretty equal.

The conspiracy theory, that Jackie Stewart subscribes to, is that Rosberg's punishment for the collision at Spa was that he must let Hamilton win the next race. If that was the case, he would have had no option if he wanted to keep his job.

Rosberg's car being tampered with by Hamilton or his race team, particularly in the way you describe it, is highly unlikely.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I know what you meant, but I don't agree that Hamilton is the quicker driver. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall they're pretty equal.

The conspiracy theory, that Jackie Stewart subscribes to, is that Rosberg's punishment for the collision at Spa was that he must let Hamilton win the next race. If that was the case, he would have had no option if he wanted to keep his job.

Rosberg's car being tampered with by Hamilton or his race team, particularly in the way you describe it, is highly unlikely.

I don't think Mercedes would do that. Rosberg is German, no way they'd sack him over that incident.

Hamilton has been unlucky all season, bad run of technical problems etc. Now he's had 2 clean race weekends and 2 wins. I think he's clearly faster and mentally fitter than Rosberg.

One thing I have been surprised at is how little we've heard about upsets in the Red Bull garage with Vettel being on the end of an absolute humiliation at the hands of Ricciardo. Maybe they're both nice guys.

HOLA4423

I don't think Mercedes would do that. Rosberg is German, no way they'd sack him over that incident.

Hamilton has been unlucky all season, bad run of technical problems etc. Now he's had 2 clean race weekends and 2 wins. I think he's clearly faster and mentally fitter than Rosberg.

One thing I have been surprised at is how little we've heard about upsets in the Red Bull garage with Vettel being on the end of an absolute humiliation at the hands of Ricciardo. Maybe they're both nice guys.

I think Hamilton is better at overtaking than Rosberg. I think Rosberg has a slight edge on the timings and getting the most out of the car consistently, although recently it looks like Hamilton might be closing that gap.

The red bull thing might be because both know that they aren't going to win the championship, or maybe Vettel is just satisfied with where he is after so many wins.

Edit : Can't wait for Project Cars and the Lotus 49 !

HOLA4424

I think Hamilton is better at overtaking than Rosberg. I think Rosberg has a slight edge on the timings and getting the most out of the car consistently, although recently it looks like Hamilton might be closing that gap.

The red bull thing might be because both know that they aren't going to win the championship, or maybe Vettel is just satisfied with where he is after so many wins.

Edit : Can't wait for Project Cars and the Lotus 49 !

Supposedly Rosberg is better at following advice but Hamilton is a better driver by instinct.

Someone was saying that following the team radio rule changes Hamilton will have an advantage in that he just does it while Rosberg often needs prompting.

HOLA4425

Supposedly Rosberg is better at following advice but Hamilton is a better driver by instinct.

Someone was saying that following the team radio rule changes Hamilton will have an advantage in that he just does it while Rosberg often needs prompting.

I would suspect the opposite as Rosberg's technical knowledge is superior.

Archived