House Price Crash Forum

D.i.s.c.o

HOLA441

Ok, here we go.

I have a large (MP3) collection of disco music from the 70's & some HiNrg and pop from the 80's - anyone else here into their DISCO?

Seen a couple of bands over the last few years including Nile Rogers and Chic, Billy Ocean, Shalamar, Earth wind fire experience, Jimmy James and quite a few more.

I will be going to the rewind festival this year (80's festival) do hope to see some good acts there this year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Very much into dance music but I've never quite "got" what the definition of "disco" is, so I just had a look at the Wikipedia page hoping for clarity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco

From my contributions to the dance music thread - I do like quite a wide range of stuff, mostly euphoric Hi-NRG and especially Italian dance music - and then especially from the late 1980s and 1990s, but then that was my clubbing era; I don't really think about genre too much - good music is, well, good music. That said a lot of what I like is Euro-dance which I think used to be called Euro-disco indicating its origins or a progression.

I used to hear The Village People's YMCA played quite a lot when I was going clubbing to the extent that it drives me mad now. And if there's one song I really cannot stand it's Abba's Dancing Queen - always hated that with a passion and I'm not a big fan of their others either.

I have seen Boney M live several times and they were always brilliant, rather legendary perhaps - used to see a live act every week, and they're one of the memorable ones.

I think the essence of my taste is that I'm not especially into what I think of as the archetypal disco songs (The Bee Gees, Abba) but there would be plenty of songs I do like which are either "disco" or heavily influenced by it.

There used to be a club called Bad Bob's in the 1990s, just round the corner from Leicester Square, which played 1970s/disco music in the main room/dance area and it was always a great night.

HOLA448

Very much into dance music but I've never quite "got" what the definition of "disco" is, so I just had a look at the Wikipedia page hoping for clarity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco

From my contributions to the dance music thread - I do like quite a wide range of stuff, mostly euphoric Hi-NRG and especially Italian dance music - and then especially from the late 1980s and 1990s, but then that was my clubbing era; I don't really think about genre too much - good music is, well, good music. That said a lot of what I like is Euro-dance which I think used to be called Euro-disco indicating its origins or a progression.

I used to hear The Village People's YMCA played quite a lot when I was going clubbing to the extent that it drives me mad now. And if there's one song I really cannot stand it's Abba's Dancing Queen - always hated that with a passion and I'm not a big fan of their others either.

I have seen Boney M live several times and they were always brilliant, rather legendary perhaps - used to see a live act every week, and they're one of the memorable ones.

I think the essence of my taste is that I'm not especially into what I think of as the archetypal disco songs (The Bee Gees, Abba) but there would be plenty of songs I do like which are either "disco" or heavily influenced by it.

There used to be a club called Bad Bob's in the 1990s, just round the corner from Leicester Square, which played 1970s/disco music in the main room/dance area and it was always a great night.

Yeah, that's interesting.

I say back-beat + brass are the best thing about '70s dance music. Most club music is rigid by comparison.

BGs and Abba had clever musicians, so they tried a lot of stuff - not always great, but high success rate. And I can't believe your praise of Boney M - might as well listen to plinkety-plonk stuff on kids TV in the morning - unless they were doing something special in their live act.

HOLA449

That's a good video - I saw Rose Royce at Butlins a while back.

Did you know that Richard Prior presents the Soul Train for a while.

I like the adverts in this video, they are for Afro Sheen

Gwen Dickie lives in Scotland, so I'm told - LOL! I bet she got screwed out of royalties. Very tasty in the carwash vid.

I did not know that about Prior.

Sry, video too long to watch.

HOLA4410

Yeah, that's interesting.

I say back-beat + brass are the best thing about '70s dance music. Most club music is rigid by comparison.

BGs and Abba had clever musicians, so they tried a lot of stuff - not always great, but high success rate. And I can't believe your praise of Boney M - might as well listen to plinkety-plonk stuff on kids TV in the morning - unless they were doing something special in their live act.

Did you see the thread about In The Night Garden ;)

Yes, it was the live act. This was G-A-Y when it was at the Hippodrome in Leicester Square, back in the 1990s. Most acts would be chart acts or fairly current, they'd come on briefly, mime to a backing track and p*** off again.

Boney M were one of the few who would do a whole show, sing live, and really look like they were enjoying themselves. The whole thing was good fun.

That said, those weren't the busiest of nights and I don't possess any of their albums.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

:unsure: I always liked "War", and "Parliament! I' not sure they are strictly "disco"!

I'd say funk rather than disco. Speaking as a rock aficionado, most disco is tosh but the great stuff can be found on that borderline with funk. Chopping guitars, great bass line, back beat and brass. Chic are the prime example.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I'd say funk rather than disco. Speaking as a rock aficionado, most disco is tosh but the great stuff can be found on that borderline with funk. Chopping guitars, great bass line, back beat and brass. Chic are the prime example.

It always makes want to drive a gold coloured Lincoln, round Detroit, with that jumping hydraulic suspension, and monster speakers in the back! Obviously you knew that, but this is not traditional in Somerset! :blink:

HOLA4417

Steely dan....music to rap presents by.

still fresh music from the 70s

Hardly DISCO? :blink:

I probably have most of what they did, and foolishly, still attempt to learn the guitar bits! :(

HOLA4418

It always makes want to drive a gold coloured Lincoln, round Detroit, with that jumping hydraulic suspension, and monster speakers in the back! Obviously you knew that, but this is not traditional in Somerset! :blink:

Ah that takes me back. Cruising t' pit villages in me mustard coloured Triumph Herald with the wonky rear suspension and me Clarion tape deck. Cool as **** we was.

HOLA4419

Ah that takes me back. Cruising t' pit villages in me mustard coloured Triumph Herald with the wonky rear suspension and me Clarion tape deck. Cool as **** we was.

You flash one! A four wheeler, eh? :lol:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived