House Price Crash Forum

Anti-Virus For Server

CHF

HOLA441

As we all know, OT is the place on the internet for IT related questions. So with this in mind, I pose yet another question for the inhabitants of this board......

If it matter, its a Dell T310 which will have about 10 PCs/laptops connected to it.

Ive also been advised for and against the free AVG version to protect the individual PCs, Please feel free to wax lyrical on this subject also.

Cheers Geeks!

HOLA442
HOLA443

As we all know, OT is the place on the internet for IT related questions. So with this in mind, I pose yet another question for the inhabitants of this board......

If it matter, its a Dell T310 which will have about 10 PCs/laptops connected to it.

Ive also been advised for and against the free AVG version to protect the individual PCs, Please feel free to wax lyrical on this subject also.

Cheers Geeks!

You have a reasonable sized network. So don't go cheap....all the big boys do a server version of their product this can get increasingly sophisticated. Symantec outline their wares here:

http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/small-business/?inid=uk_ent_overlay_slot2_smb

The bigger picture is that your defences need to get more sophisticated increasingly clients even of your size:

1. Lock down their end point devices

2. Have a good mainstream product locally

3. invest in an an outer perimeter of protection at cloud level. Positini at the cheaper end or Mcafee or Panda in the middle and Mimecast or Messagelabs at the top end.

Mcafee and Panda also can do the local stuff

In addition ensure you have a good data security clause in your employment contracts locking off USB stick access is a good start

If you need some specific costs for reference PM me.

HOLA444

I think the only free AV you'd be able to install on business PC's are Immunet 3.0 and Comodo, all the rest I'm sure are free for home use.

http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html

Powered by Clam AV

Comodo AV

Not sure I'd go the Symantec way, most comments I've found on their software is it grinds the PC to a halt.

No AV is 100% effective.

HOLA445

If you are comfortable with Free AVG, then they have a great deal on their server based products at the mo....comes with remote control and auto updates via server, and if your workstations already have free on them, simply change the licence number and they will upgrade to the pro version automatically, as they are essentially the same but with network parts disabled for the free version.

Like all the rest, the server product monitors all the workstation as a group.

HOLA446

I find AVG free edition to be increasingly irritating nagware. Popups on startup about upgrading to the latest version, the full product etc - and numerous attempts to sneak a free edition upgrade to a trial edition.

And the idea of a URL checker annoys the feck out of me.

HOLA447

I find AVG free edition to be increasingly irritating nagware. Popups on startup about upgrading to the latest version, the full product etc - and numerous attempts to sneak a free edition upgrade to a trial edition.

I dont see any of these...no advertisg popups, no nagware....unless you loaded the "trial version".

saying that, I dont think a reminder to upgrade to the latest version is something you should ignore either. the latest is free as well...just ensure you tick the right product whilst you are upgrading....the selection used to default to the trial, and you needed to change it to the free version....I havent seen that particular trick recently though, but one is of course tempted to tick the one with the most features.

HOLA448

Avast is the same and Comodo firewall now keeps popping up ads for it's own products as well.

HOLA449

I dont see any of these...no advertisg popups, no nagware....unless you loaded the "trial version".

saying that, I dont think a reminder to upgrade to the latest version is something you should ignore either. the latest is free as well...just ensure you tick the right product whilst you are upgrading....the selection used to default to the trial, and you needed to change it to the free version....I havent seen that particular trick recently though, but one is of course tempted to tick the one with the most features.

I'm usually pretty careful to check exactly what i'm installing / downloading - in the end i switched to the microsoft one (bit defender)?

HOLA4410

I'm usually pretty careful to check exactly what i'm installing / downloading - in the end i switched to the microsoft one (bit defender)?

saw a man yesterday who reported his ITC lecturer has never had to install antivirus....never been caught out either.

My question was...how would he even know his machine wasnt transmitting virus daily....and he wasnt offline as we recieved an email from him to test a new install.

In the old days, when we had DOS and no internet, we were puzzled when our simple network accounts software went very slow... seems the new sound cards from Western Digital had a virus on the floppy disk drivers software....

one needed a scanner to detect it.

never run more than one AV protection on your PC.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Doesn't free anti-virus only "protect" your machine after the fact...ie. it tries to clean after you've been infected?

I spose it depends what you use your machine for...If you look at loads of muck, its a necessity...

no, it provides a scan of incoming material. however, sometimes a file might have a safe purpose, in which case you will get a request to remove it...or click through to continue...this is an area where many machines get caught...specially with spyware rather than a virus.

Program version updates bring new protections and methods as online programs and user habits change.

HOLA4413

I backed up a lot of old CDROMs and DVDROMs of music/ audio software music magazines on my HDD.

When I came to back it up to a new HDD, AVG flagged up loads of what seemed to be false positives, on software it had previously ignored as OK, meaning that I had to delete a number of potentially useful programs.

AVG free version has been dumbed down and seems less trustworthy. Same for ZoneAlram free firewall, which I no longer use.

HOLA4414

Doesn't free anti-virus only "protect" your machine after the fact...ie. it tries to clean after you've been infected?

I spose it depends what you use your machine for...If you look at loads of muck, its a necessity...

From memory I do recall some "free AV" in the past which had some strange pitfalls but Avast, AVG, Avira have always been fully functional.

Bit Defender Free used be on demand only, which fits your description of it would only find an infection after you've been infected, but having had a quick look it appears the free edition is now fully functional.

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

A AV that scans after you've been infected in the modern world would be useless as the really nasty virus's simply kill the AV.

HOLA4415

saw a man yesterday who reported his ITC lecturer has never had to install antivirus....never been caught out either.

Maybe he uses Linux?

I've never run AV on any windows PC. I have been infected once by a drive by malware of some sort caught from a Firefox exploit so it can happen. In fairness to Firefox they had fixed the exploit but my PC had not yet auto-updated. Other than that, never had an issue.

Otherwise doesn't Clamwin do pretty much what you need?

http://www.clamwin.com/

Beware downloading anything from CNET, Softpedia etc. They actually wrap the apps with viruses and malware which is maybe what some of the above posters have been hit by?

HOLA4416

Maybe he uses Linux?

I've never run AV on any windows PC. I have been infected once by a drive by malware of some sort caught from a Firefox exploit so it can happen. In fairness to Firefox they had fixed the exploit but my PC had not yet auto-updated. Other than that, never had an issue.

Otherwise doesn't Clamwin do pretty much what you need?

http://www.clamwin.com/

Beware downloading anything from CNET, Softpedia etc. They actually wrap the apps with viruses and malware which is maybe what some of the above posters have been hit by?

If you've never run AV software, how do you know you don't have viruses?

HOLA4417

You have a reasonable sized network. So don't go cheap....all the big boys do a server version of their product this can get increasingly sophisticated. Symantec outline their wares here:

http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/small-business/?inid=uk_ent_overlay_slot2_smb

snip

If you need some specific costs for reference PM me.

Thanks for all this Greg. Had a look at Symantec. Looks like i could use the 'Symantec Endpoint Small Business Protection'. I assume an endpoint is a PC or laptop, so I am able to buy them as and when i need them (were not up to 10 yet, only 5).

5 endpoint licenses for a year is only around £150. Is this all I would need ie i believe this protects the individual PCs as well as the server?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Looked at this and although the price is good, it looks like you have to manually scan each and every file. Dont fancy trusting load of staff to do that!

http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html

Immunet uses the same scan engine and has real time scanning and is free but if you are offline the scanner doesn't function compare.

HOLA4420

Thanks for all this Greg. Had a look at Symantec. Looks like i could use the 'Symantec Endpoint Small Business Protection'. I assume an endpoint is a PC or laptop, so I am able to buy them as and when i need them (were not up to 10 yet, only 5).

5 endpoint licenses for a year is only around £150. Is this all I would need ie i believe this protects the individual PCs as well as the server?

Whilst i liked the Symantec server products, you will find that the renewals will need a serious conversation as they change the names and functions of products regularly and my clients annually ended up with almost replacement products and cumbersome licence applications and fixes.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived