HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
20 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

Perfect survey, right @jiltedjen

For me it’s a big deal clearing the mortgage. 

life is short I will be early 30’s with no mortgage. That’s locked in due to Bitcoin. 

now my DCA is ‘free’ as the money going into my DCA would of been lost to paying interest on the mortgage. 

A lot of people would love to go back to their early 30’s and be mortgage free. 

I’m confident my small DCA combined with being mortgage free soo early will mean an early retirement.

Bitcoin has much further to go than here over time. But life is a balance between time and money. 

no point working full time most of your life and then becoming rich at 55 or 60, most of your life would of been wasted working already 

HOLA447
35 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

life is short I will be early 30’s with no mortgage. That’s locked in due to Bitcoin. 

now my DCA is ‘free’ as the money going into my DCA would of been lost to paying interest on the mortgage. 

I’m confident my small DCA combined with being mortgage free soo early will mean an early retirement.

Bitcoin has much further to go than here over time. But life is a balance between time and money. 

no point working full time most of your life and then becoming rich at 55 or 60, most of your life would of been wasted working already 

Don't let anyone tell you that you've done the wrong thing. If bitcoin was a sure thing, it would already be priced it. There is risk to it. What you've done is locked in the gains you've made for a good life. Maybe you could have had a better life or maybe bitcoin will crash and never recover. 

My own goal is to not have to work to live. I want to work for fun. So I have a target figure in mind at which point work becomes optional and then I can choose to do it for fun. I've set myself a goal that if selling my bitcoin would take me to that point and if that point would otherwise be over three years away, I'd sell. Working three more years of valuable life just to maybe have more stuff, not more time, isn't a good trade in my mind. But other people might prefer more stuff, up to them.

HOLA448
HOLA449
6 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Don't let anyone tell you that you've done the wrong thing. If bitcoin was a sure thing, it would already be priced it. There is risk to it. What you've done is locked in the gains you've made for a good life. Maybe you could have had a better life or maybe bitcoin will crash and never recover. 

My own goal is to not have to work to live. I want to work for fun. So I have a target figure in mind at which point work becomes optional and then I can choose to do it for fun. I've set myself a goal that if selling my bitcoin would take me to that point and if that point would otherwise be over three years away, I'd sell. Working three more years of valuable life just to maybe have more stuff, not more time, isn't a good trade in my mind. But other people might prefer more stuff, up to them.

Of course it is up to the individual and if @jiltedjen is happy then we should all be happy for him. Personally it just does not sit comfortably being 100% all in one or the other. Better to diversify your risks and opportunities IMHO.

HOLA4410
7 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Of course it is up to the individual and if @jiltedjen is happy then we should all be happy for him. Personally it just does not sit comfortably being 100% all in one or the other. Better to diversify your risks and opportunities IMHO.

I agree.  A very balanced position. 

We are not @jiltedjenand of course it's his decision but given this is a forum, alternative positions/views will be offered.  If one is secure in one's decision-making, the alternatives posed are worthless.  I wish @jiltedjenthe best from a human point of view rather than as a faceless poster.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

But as many have said, you could have paid off a proportion of your mortgage and managed the balance without significant stress with 2 incomes?  This strategy would have probably got you quicker to your early retirement dream.

Nevermind going back to my 30s and being mortgage free, I'd be happy just to be 30 again.  Youth really is wasted on the youth.  Never thought I'd say this.  😏

Our positions are different anyway.  My decisions are guided by our children's (teens) needs, not ours (husband and mine).  We have a very comfortable lifestyle, savings, money (Fiat 👎) in the bank, reasonably secure jobs, final salary/DB pensions and no family members to support financially, which is always a bonus.  We've had the holidays, the cars, the fun which I hope will continue eventually etc. No matter what, I have a duty to my children (don't tell them!) as I brought them into the world and their futures are not looking too clever right now.

HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

But as many have said, you could have paid off a proportion of your mortgage and managed the balance without significant stress with 2 incomes?  This strategy would have probably got you quicker to your early retirement dream.

Nevermind going back to my 30s and being mortgage free, I'd be happy just to be 30 again.  Youth really is wasted on the youth.  Never thought I'd say this.  😏

Our positions are different anyway.  My decisions are guided by our children's (teens) needs, not ours (husband and mine).  We have a very comfortable lifestyle, savings, money (Fiat 👎) in the bank, reasonably secure jobs, final salary/DB pensions and no family members to support financially, which is always a bonus.  We've had the holidays, the cars, the fun which I hope will continue eventually etc. No matter what, I have a duty to my children (don't tell them!) as I brought them into the world and their futures are not looking too clever right now.

What I do not understand from @jiltedjen desperation to be mortage free at 30 is that, unless he is planning on not having children, it's more than likely he will need a mortgage in the future to move up the ladder. I can't see £80k going far especially buying a house right now.

HOLA4414
1 minute ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

What I do not understand from @jiltedjen desperation to be mortage free at 30 is that, unless he is planning on not having children, it's more than likely he will need a mortgage in the future to move up the ladder. I can't see £80k going far especially buying a house right now.

Yeah, and I'd be worried about nursery fees too.  Cost us more than a mortgage at the time!  Fortunately, we had savings to lessen the impact.  

If I were in a similar position to @jiltedjen I would be stuffing Bitcoin with money to plan for the future!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Just now, Buffer Bear said:

Yeah, and I'd be worried about nursery fees too.  Cost us more than a mortgage at the time!  Fortunately, we had savings to lessen the impact.  

If I were in a similar position to @jiltedjen I would be stuffing Bitcoin with money to plan for the future!

Oh yeah I forgot about nursery fees. They are a mortage on their own. 🥺

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Just now, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Oh yeah I forgot about nursery fees. They are a mortage on their own. 🥺

not when my partner doesn’t need to work, and I could cover bills even with kids on 3 days a week and actually see my kids grow up and spend some time with them! 

im not in the south-east, and I had already paid for most of the house, it’s a nice 3 bed with a sea view. 

I spent years saving hard for a house and put £85k deposit down in 2018 late 20’s, been overpaying it since, the £85k after tax will clear the mortgage when it’s time to remortgage (in a fixed term). and saving for a wedding at the same time. 

we will be mortgage free before having children as I ensured I had a younger partner than me to give me a little time. 

And yes I watched location location location last night and saw the first time buyers buy a £785k house, and I did think my ‘windfall’ felt like peanuts in comparison to that, which made me understand some posters comments on here on it being ‘nothing’

but I’m lucky I don’t live in the south-east, I live in a house similar in size to those in the south-east which sold for £750k 

Im happy the stress is lifted off me. I have been toying with the area of dropping days at work once the mortgage is done, as I earn decently and don’t need as much as I earn, but i will probably just build up a nest egg until I’m early 40’s in a decade or so then drop days then. 

how much would you pay to be early 30’s and mortgage free?, you can’t buy back time. 

HOLA4419
17 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

I have my monthly DCA, bitcoin is not going anywhere up upwards in the long term. 

when the mortgage is done (end of the fixed term) then I will be shovelling money to investments, dividend paying shares etc

but I’m toying with the idea of working less while I’m still young instead of dropping out of work completely at 50 or 55

I also honestly feel that we could end up with an 1929 blow off top style crash towards the end of this decade, not necessarily in bitcoins price but the general economy, the stock market, the housing market (perhaps bitcoin causes banks to fail?), either way I want to be doing into the new Great Depression from a standpoint of no debt. 

I don’t think bitcoiners should be looking at house prices to gauge their stash. House prices in some regards are not real, and could keep climbing forever, along with your stash. 

London house prices look more magical than even bitcoins price! 

HOLA4420
13 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

not when my partner doesn’t need to work, and I could cover bills even with kids on 3 days a week and actually see my kids grow up and spend some time with them! 

im not in the south-east, and I had already paid for most of the house, it’s a nice 3 bed with a sea view. 

I spent years saving hard for a house and put £85k deposit down in 2018 late 20’s, been overpaying it since, the £85k after tax will clear the mortgage when it’s time to remortgage (in a fixed term). and saving for a wedding at the same time. 

we will be mortgage free before having children as I ensured I had a younger partner than me to give me a little time. 

And yes I watched location location location last night and saw the first time buyers buy a £785k house, and I did think my ‘windfall’ felt like peanuts in comparison to that, which made me understand some posters comments on here on it being ‘nothing’

but I’m lucky I don’t live in the south-east, I live in a house similar in size to those in the south-east which sold for £750k 

Im happy the stress is lifted off me. I have been toying with the area of dropping days at work once the mortgage is done, as I earn decently and don’t need as much as I earn, but i will probably just build up a nest egg until I’m early 40’s in a decade or so then drop days then. 

how much would you pay to be early 30’s and mortgage free?, you can’t buy back time. 

It costs over £250,000 to raise a child to 18. Good luck raising 2 with one partner working 3 days a week. 🤣 

HOLA4421
22 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

dude late 20`s ?? you sure ? 

you speak like a fecking 70 year old wondering how the state pension money is going to last. 

younger partner to give you more time ? at late 20`s. ??

jon snow just had a kid at 73 😂

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

I have my monthly DCA, bitcoin is not going anywhere up upwards in the long term. 

when the mortgage is done (end of the fixed term) then I will be shovelling money to investments, dividend paying shares etc

but I’m toying with the idea of working less while I’m still young instead of dropping out of work completely at 50 or 55

I also honestly feel that we could end up with an 1929 blow off top style crash towards the end of this decade, not necessarily in bitcoins price but the general economy, the stock market, the housing market (perhaps bitcoin causes banks to fail?), either way I want to be doing into the new Great Depression from a standpoint of no debt. 

I don’t think bitcoiners should be looking at house prices to gauge their stash. House prices in some regards are not real, and could keep climbing forever, along with your stash. 

London house prices look more magical than even bitcoins price! 

Believe me, your future wife will need to work for her own sanity and yours, eventually.  No fun coming home to only baby/toddler speak.  Need a balance and a focus other than children.  I'm interested in what appears to be your reluctance to undertake paid work? 

Personally, whilst I will enjoy my retirement if I make it, and I have plenty of things I still hope to do, my career provides focus/motivation/structure, security for my family and in some ways more importantly, a work ethic/contribution.

Edited by Buffer Bear