House Price Crash Forum

Will The World End In 2032? Ukrainian Astronomers Discover Massive Asteroid That Could Hit The Earth

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2465563/Will-world-end-2032-Ukrainian-astronomers-discover-massive-asteroid-hit-earth-power-2-500-nuclear-bombs.html

The world as we know it could end on August 26, 2032.

A 1,300-foot wide asteroid is headed toward Earth and could strike the planet with the force of 2,500 nuclear warheads in 19 years, Ukrainian astronomers have shockingly revealed.

Crimean Astrophysical Observatory found the massive asteroid, called 2013 TV135, last weekend and the international scientific community has already rated it as one of the two most dangerous asteroids ever recorded.

Still, the chances of the object striking Earth are very low, estimated at 1 in 63,000. That means there's a 99.9984 percent chance that life on the planet will continue as normal.

article-2465563-18CEC68100000578-918_634x378.jpg

Have to say love the picture picked by the ed for this, nothing like trying to scare the crap out of people.

So basically this asteroid is unlikely to come anywhere near then? However full credit for the headline.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Depressing though.

One of the greater threats to human civilization is an Asteroid impact like this one, and it's also quite avoidable; a network of dedicated space telescopes, together with the capability of landing something on one of these to shift the orbit would cost chump change in the scheme of things. Bear in mind that the earlier you can detect these things, the easier it is to make them safe.

HOLA444

Depressing though.

One of the greater threats to human civilization is an Asteroid impact like this one, and it's also quite avoidable; a network of dedicated space telescopes, together with the capability of landing something on one of these to shift the orbit would cost chump change in the scheme of things. Bear in mind that the earlier you can detect these things, the easier it is to make them safe.

I'm sure we could cobble together some kind of ad-hoc response based on gung ho oil exploration workers in a couple of weeks if needs be though?

HOLA445

I'm sure we could cobble together some kind of ad-hoc response based on gung ho oil exploration workers in a couple of weeks if needs be though?

Yes, but when you factor in Committees and Prince II it will take approximately 789 years to agree to do anything - and that will just be to have another meeting.

HOLA446
HOLA447

These things can be quite close-run. A friend who works with a space-based instrument told me about a time a piece of tracked low-orbit debris was looking like it would make a close pass of the instrument; in the event they missed by a few hundred metres but shared the same point in space a fraction of a second apart. Much relief all round.

I guess we'll know more about the precise trajectory of this asteroid as more positional data is gathered over the next weeks and months.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I guess we'll know more about the precise trajectory of this asteroid as more positional data is gathered over the next weeks and months.

Or maybe they will get bored and forget about it. Or someone will spill some coffee on the mouse and swivel away from it making it impossible to find it again.

Or maybe everyone in the control room will figure out that they won't be around in 2032 anyhow so why bother.

HOLA4410

These things can be quite close-run. A friend who works with a space-based instrument told me about a time a piece of tracked low-orbit debris was looking like it would make a close pass of the instrument; in the event they missed by a few hundred metres but shared the same point in space a fraction of a second apart. Much relief all round.

So the faster something's going, is there more or less chance it will collide with something else? It's like that tortoise paradox all over again.

I remember when I nearly scored a goal against Germany. You know the one in extra time in Euro '96 where Gazza slid in and just couldn't quite toe the ball over the line? Fortunately I was there at the back post for a simple tap in, and only six months after the match had been played.

I'd probably have been offside, mind.

HOLA4411

Depressing though.

You seem to have a common theme of thinking we can control way way more in this universe than we really can.

Just chill out - sit back and enjoy it. What will happen will happen.

:D

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

You seem to have a common theme of thinking we can control way way more in this universe than we really can.

I was just thinking maybe his other mass extinction scenario has gone a bit flat.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I was just thinking maybe his other mass extinction scenario has gone a bit flat.

Always something to be scared of !!

We are gonna disappear one day - this date sounds ok to me - i would be 55 so just starting to have to accept the decline in most of the things i enjoy. I am all for it. :D

HOLA4416

Depressing though.

If we detect it far enough in advance, and if it's solid and not a rubble pile.

The odds of being hit by one are remote enough that it's not something I worry about in the slightest.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Sorry, I missed off the :lol:

You and Kurt, you're so...... similar.

I did know you were joking, just didn't have time to write any more...

Although there probably ARE a lot of people out there who vaguely think that this could be arranged at short notice..

HOLA4419

As a taxpayer I'd much prefer my cash spent on this kind of stuff over, for instance, the couple of 'Floating Target Practice' class Aircraft Carriers currently being built..

And not only is this kind of thing controllable, the kind of space based kit you need to control it is very cool. Which trumps chilling out.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

As a taxpayer I'd much prefer my cash spent on this kind of stuff over, for instance, the couple of 'Floating Target Practice' class Aircraft Carriers currently being built..

Who's to say that it isn't?

Full Spectrum Dominance means never having to leave a spectrum unweaponised.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2465563/Will-world-end-2032-Ukrainian-astronomers-discover-massive-asteroid-hit-earth-power-2-500-nuclear-bombs.html

Have to say love the picture picked by the ed for this, nothing like trying to scare the crap out of people.

So basically this asteroid is unlikely to come anywhere near then? However full credit for the headline.

Eyeballing that photo I see the earth is about 10000 feet wide.

No wonder land is so expensive.

HOLA4424

And not only is this kind of thing controllable, the kind of space based kit you need to control it is very cool. Which trumps chilling out.

I agree there is plenty of stuff that should not have money spent on it.

However to say this sort of thing is 'controllable' ?

How exactly could you possibly know this . . .

HOLA4425

I've got a defined benefit pension that ought to start paying out around then.

But, seriously, those space rocks are scary. One day one of them will have our number on it and it's game over. This one might be it. Not a nice thought.

Archived