House Price Crash Forum

Bike Thief

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441
HOLA442

WARNING - person shot dead on this video.

Call me stone cold but all I got from that video was, never having ridden a motorbike, how I might like to give it a go.

Where was it? Brazil?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Yes, Brazil.

Probably best not to go bikie riding there?

No, but it does show that my Portuguese lessons must finally be having an effect.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

He was alive at the scene but later died in hospital apparently.

Good. I just felt the world get a bit lighter. He stole someone's motorcycle without a care for them, threatening them with a pistol, and the police-officer did put himself at risk on the scene. The thief could have had quick reflexes and shot him. Or policeman could have missed with nerves and put himself at risk if robber got a shot off. Accomplice on the second motorbike could have been armed.

Just a shame those who took out jumbo-mortgages and stole other people's housing futures, full of entitlement and inflating prices beyond belief don't meet hard-consequences. Instead of the sympathy/victim ticket they get, combined with stimulus policy to keep them in their stolen massively over-valued homes.

HOLA4412

Good. I just felt the world get a bit lighter. He stole someone's motorcycle without a care for them, threatening them with a pistol, and the police-officer did put himself at risk on the scene. The thief could have had quick reflexes and shot him. Or policeman could have missed with nerves and put himself at risk if robber got a shot off. Accomplice on the second motorbike could have been armed.

Just a shame those who took out jumbo-mortgages and stole other people's housing futures, full of entitlement and inflating prices beyond belief don't meet hard-consequences. Instead of the sympathy/victim ticket they get, combined with stimulus policy to keep them in their stolen massively over-valued homes.

The man did have good reflexes. Watch the video closely.

He gets on the motorbike and, as he does so, a car drives between him and the car from which the Policeman just begins to step out. He obviously sees the gun in the Policeman's hand. He points his gun but the Policeman fires first.

Watch it closely - it happens in a fraction of a second.

The Policeman could have just ignored it and got on with his day. He was heroic.

HOLA4413

See what you mean. There's a frame where it looks like thief has his pistol out pointing at the policeman. Policeman no choice but to shoot then, his own life very much at risk.

HOLA4414

He gets on the motorbike and, as he does so, a car drives between him and the call from which the Policeman just begins to step out. He obviously sees the gun in the Policeman's hand. He his gun but the Policeman fires first.

Watch it closely - it happens in a fraction of a second.

The Policeman could have just ignored it and got on with his day. He was heroic.

Well spotted!

HOLA4415

Well spotted!

yes can see it for a fraction of a second, the thief was super agile but wrong place at the wrong time for him, chances of capturing all that on video and a cop being there right at the scene must be 1 in a million too. was the guy being chased by the other 2? i'm guessing so as he was taking a few chances with traffic/built up area.

HOLA4416

Not an ounce of sympathy here for the thief. It wasn't just theft. He threatened the victim with a gun, and also stopped him in a dangerous busy road. Videos like this on Youtube are always an enjoyable watch. Maybe that means I'm a cold ******* but I never shared the English sense of identifying with the perp more than the victim. I don't care what a hard life the thief had, or how his parents abandoned him. I care about an innocent guy on a bike who had a gun shoved in his face in broad daylight :ph34r:

Am I the only one to notice the thief had the audacity to be wearing flip flops during an attempted robbery? This guy was so blase he didn't even bother with suitable footwear :lol:

HOLA4417

Not an ounce of sympathy here for the thief. It wasn't just theft. He threatened the victim with a gun, and also stopped him in a dangerous busy road. Videos like this on Youtube are always an enjoyable watch. Maybe that means I'm a cold ******* but I never shared the English sense of identifying with the perp more than the victim. I don't care what a hard life the thief had, or how his parents abandoned him. I care about an innocent guy on a bike who had a gun shoved in his face in broad daylight :ph34r:

Am I the only one to notice the thief had the audacity to be wearing flip flops during an attempted robbery? This guy was so blase he didn't even bother with suitable footwear :lol:

Yep, I noticed the flip flops also - wondered about how safe they would be driving away on a motorbike but, well, that quickly stopped being a concern.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

World Service on the radio just said the man who had his motorcycle robbed (said it was worth $15,000) was 35, and the thief 18. After the thief had been shot, WS said the man went up to the thief and said "Go and rot in hell."

Police authorities said the uniformed policeman shot the thief after he'd pointed his pistol at him. Didn't say the thief had died though.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Call me stone cold but all I got from that video was, never having ridden a motorbike, how I might like to give it a go.

Do it then. I will never forget my first time on a motorbike, I must have been 10 or 11, a Yamaha PW50, 15 French Francs to ride it round a little 20m circuit at a fair. It just felt so right :) .

All I would say is, don't ride like that tit, being chased by gangstas or not...no protective kit or gloves, up past parked buses and cars at 40+mph...

I have a (small and pretty slow) scooter now and I've had close calls riding much more defensively than that in London. I will buy a superbike at some point but I'm very seriously considering never taking it on the road, and just doing track days...I don't trust myself, and I certainly don't trust most car drivers!

was the guy being chased by the other 2? i'm guessing so as he was taking a few chances with traffic/built up area.

Dunno really- he's on what looks like a Honda Hornet 600, the bandits are two-up on a 125, so having just condemned his riding, I personally would have been doing more like 80mph to lose them if I'd just had a gun waved at me!

Anyway a sad situation- I like to think that if I'd been young, poor and desperate I'd still have had the morals not to resort to gun crime...but I've never been poor and desperate, so I don't stand in judgement of a dead kid.

HOLA4422

Anyway a sad situation- I like to think that if I'd been young, poor and desperate I'd still have had the morals not to resort to gun crime...but I've never been poor and desperate, so I don't stand in judgement of a dead kid.

I'm certainly no bleeding heart liberal but the full length video on liveleaks and the translation of the taunting, from the would be victim, to the fatally wounded robber is fairly unpalatable. There also seems to be suggestion from Brazilians, in the comments, that the police allowing people they've shot to bleed out rather than calling an ambulance to attend is pretty much standard there.

At the end of the day, Brazilians visiting this country have been shot, for much less, by our own police though.

Edit to add: It's a bit of an issue that it's impossible to discuss people from Brazil, these days, without a constant mental image of bald lady parts.

HOLA4423

Having been attacked and badly beaten by 3 guys for my bike in London I have limited sympathy for the thief. I didn't go out after dark for about a year afterwards and was constantly jumping out of my skin when I saw a group of lads on the street. Plus it took about six weeks to physically recover and I get the odd twinge as a result.

I'm sure the thief had a tough upbringing, and I'm sorry a young lad is dead but there's no excuse really. Plenty have poor starts in life and don't choose to wave guns around.

HOLA4424

I'm certainly no bleeding heart liberal but the full length video on liveleaks and the translation of the taunting, from the would be victim, to the fatally wounded robber is fairly unpalatable. There also seems to be suggestion from Brazilians, in the comments, that the police allowing people they've shot to bleed out rather than calling an ambulance to attend is pretty much standard there.

At the end of the day, Brazilians visiting this country have been shot, for much less, by our own police though.

Edit to add: It's a bit of an issue that it's impossible to discuss people from Brazil, these days, without a constant mental image of bald lady parts.

Indeed. In Brazil, if you don't get fatally shot, you at least expect a close shave.

HOLA4425

I'm certainly no bleeding heart liberal but the full length video on liveleaks and the translation of the taunting, from the would be victim, to the fatally wounded robber is fairly unpalatable.

I haven't seen that, but if somebody had just pulled a gun on me and stolen my property, and then karma had intervened to that extent, I might well have been calling his twitching corpse all the melonfarmers under the sun too. Doesn't mean I would feel very clever about it in the cold light of the next morning though.

Archived