House Price Crash Forum

The Big Fed Thread

HOLA441

Will Trump fire Yellen?

She has made it clear that she intends serving out her term till next January. Could we now see a war between the White House and the US Fed? Will the Fed get more and more hawkish just to derail Trump?

Will they raise interest rates faster in order to collapse the US economy and put the blame on Trump?

We will get an inkling of what is going on later this week.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
45 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Will Trump fire Yellen?

She has made it clear that she intends serving out her term till next January. Could we now see a war between the White House and the US Fed? Will the Fed get more and more hawkish just to derail Trump?

Will they raise interest rates faster in order to collapse the US economy and put the blame on Trump?

To what end though? Sure, she's been miles behind the curve on interest rates. But does Trump really want a handful of rate hikes this year? Unless he shifts tack completely and starts blaming the Fed for the crisis rather than Obama, I say she keeps her job.

HOLA443
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Will Trump fire Yellen?

Important caveat: I have not idea what I'm talking about.

That said, I don't think Trump is frightened of higher interest rates, so the FED can't "threaten" him with them. More than that, I wonder whether he actually wants higher rates: firstly because everyone has been moaning about the deflationary environment for the last 15 years, so that Trump could pull another blinder by having the gumption to do something about it, and secondly because if he crashes the real estate market, he can buy on the cheap.

If that's so, then I think the dynamic is in the opposite direction: Yellen has a little bit of credibility, because she has been making (ever so tiny) steps to catch up in terms of tightening policy. That might be enough for her to keep her job; but if she doesn't raise this meeting or the next, then I think Trump will fire her.

HOLA444
HOLA445

For the past 9 years the Fed has been complicit with the US Presidents over keeping IRs low. Now, with the hated Trump in power, the Fed could just talk very hawkish tomorrow, bring about a stock crash and Trump will get the blame. He won't be to blame but the politicians and media who hate him will blame him.

HOLA446
11 hours ago, Toast said:

Did Trump say anything about interest rates during his campaign? In this strange topsy-turvy world of 2017, we might be able to deduce what he will actually do, from what he said he would do.

Doesnt google work in some parts of the World ?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trumps-comments-on-the-fed-interest-rate-policy-and-janet-yellen-1478724767

Contradicts himself.  

I suspect he has no idea what to do and/or he is a politician just wanting more votes

if the bankers want trid of him they will raise rates, collapse the market and have the population eat him to survice ( metaphorically speaking )

HOLA447

I think people are being very complacent about today's Fed Yellen stuff. I don't think that she will raise rates - verylittle chance - but I suspect she might be very hawkish. It was a tad convenient yesterday that the White House basically talked the USD down. They obviously know what the Fed is going to say today and Trump needs a weaker USD.

HOLA448

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/monetary/20170201a.htm

In view of realized and expected labor market conditions and inflation, the Committee decided to maintain the target range for the federal funds rate at 1/2 to 3/4 percent. The stance of monetary policy remains accommodative, thereby supporting some further strengthening in labor market conditions and a return to 2 percent inflation.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The markets did not have a clue what to make of that - PMs had been bid up yesterday and again this morning in London. When the Fed made theiir announcement PMs did not know whether to soar or crash. In the end they went blah.

Ditto the conventionals. Apple and FB came out with good results so they will probably drive the NASQUACK higher tomorrow but we have an island in the air... or is that a castle in the sky... and the markets may have just topped.

Going to need some Trump announcement soon methinks.

HOLA4413
52 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The markets did not have a clue what to make of that - PMs had been bid up yesterday and again this morning in London. When the Fed made theiir announcement PMs did not know whether to soar or crash. In the end they went blah.

Ditto the conventionals. Apple and FB came out with good results so they will probably drive the NASQUACK higher tomorrow but we have an island in the air... or is that a castle in the sky... and the markets may have just topped.

Going to need some Trump announcement soon methinks.

How about a declaration of war with Iran?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/01/iran-trump-michael-flynn-on-notice

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

'Significant uncertainty' about fiscal policy under Trump - Fed's Fischer

COVENTRY, England U.S. Federal Reserve Vice Chair Stanley Fischer said there was significant uncertainty about U.S. fiscal policy under the Trump administration, but the Fed would be strict in meeting targets of creating full employment and getting inflation to 2 percent.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Exclusive - Big U.S. banks to push for easing of money laundering rules

WASHINGTON/NEW YORK America's largest banks are to propose a complete overhaul of how financial institutions investigate and report potential criminal activity, arguing that rules imposed in the years after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks and strengthened during the Obama administration are onerous and ineffective, sources said.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425