House Price Crash Forum

Brazil Protests Spread In Sao Paulo, Brasilia And Rio

HOLA441

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100433591

A property bubble helped by an inflow of cheap dollars seeking a better return in an emerging market perhaps laying the foundation for a future crisis?

Didn't the Asian economies also have a boom in property etc... just before the Asian crisis fuelled by an inflow of cheap dollars seeking a higher return?

Cheap dollars that would be outcompeted by more valuable real, if the exchange rate were left alone.

Of course benanke's a twit, but you're letting all the other twats who are all busy devaluing, and speculating on property, and flooding the market with debt, off the hook. That includes mervyn king and George Osbrown.

Europe, for example, doesn't seem to have such a big inflation problem. Without massive money printing we get to see the problem for what it is - ordinary people getting poorer as oligarchs and speculators (and the Chinese) take all the real wealth - land, factories, oil, that sort of thing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Cheap dollars that would be outcompeted by more valuable real, if the exchange rate were left alone.

Of course benanke's a twit, but you're letting all the other twats who are all busy devaluing, and speculating on property, and flooding the market with debt, off the hook. That includes mervyn king and George Osbrown.

Europe, for example, doesn't seem to have such a big inflation problem. Without massive money printing we get to see the problem for what it is - ordinary people getting poorer as oligarchs and speculators (and the Chinese) take all the real wealth - land, factories, oil, that sort of thing.

Don't worry I'm not forgetting about those idiots.

When the solution to a bubble bursting is to create another bubble you know that they don't have a clue.

HOLA443

People will become more sullen, angry, drone like and on edge, they will never meet strangers and organise mass protest, they will beat their wives more and kill more strangers outside pubs etc Walking through Edinburgh yesterday I had a Blade runner moment, looking at masses of faces stuffed onto buses and clamped into their cars, white knuckled grip on the steering wheel, ready to hit the horn and start shouting abuse at the slightest mistake from another driver, I realised how suppressed we have all become, seeing others as the enemy rather than the state and corporations. A good Brazilian riot would be a great outlet, but will never happen in the UK over infrastructure spending, if it did most of the people in Edinburgh local government would be hanging off lamp posts by now.

We had widespread riots without a cause (Mark Duggan's killing did spark it off, but the vast number of rioters were just bored kids). Imagine what it'd be like if British rioters did have a cause.... :o

HOLA444

We had widespread riots without a cause (Mark Duggan's killing did spark it off, but the vast number of rioters were just bored kids). Imagine what it'd be like if British rioters did have a cause.... :o

every riot has a cause, id love for you to find a single riot in the last few thousand years anywhere on the planet (to give you a sporting chance) that didnt have the cause of dissaffection

HOLA445

every riot has a cause, id love for you to find a single riot in the last few thousand years anywhere on the planet (to give you a sporting chance) that didnt have the cause of dissaffection

Okay, boredom was why the kids looted and pillaged. It was a laugh for them. They even did it on their own doorstep. I'm sure that one of those interviewed replied "because we could" when asked why they had become involved. Hardly the acts of disaffected youth.

HOLA446

Okay, boredom was why the kids looted and pillaged. It was a laugh for them. They even did it on their own doorstep. I'm sure that one of those interviewed replied "because we could" when asked why they had become involved. Hardly the acts of disaffected youth.

Ahhh boredom in your nice safe, steady income, im alright Jack world, id wager theres not a person on the planet that doesnt have a breaking point where the cost of violence doesnt have a tipping point against the benefit of non violence ( the very opitome of disinfranchisement),

I have no excuse for riots because as it goes i do alright but to argue that they arent an inevitability of social disenfranchisement is well a bit silly, as i said give me one example of boat rocking rioters on this scale in the last few millennia that wasnt the result of perceived (weighing up the options)

HOLA447

Ahhh boredom in your nice safe, steady income, im alright Jack world, id wager theres not a person on the planet that doesnt have a breaking point where the cost of violence doesnt have a tipping point against the benefit of non violence ( the very opitome of disinfranchisement), but hey i suppose youre special and will always be content no matter how disenfranchised you could become, youll always tug your forelock, because well, youre entitled never to be disenfranchised and feel abused to the point of risk taking.

I have no excuse for riots because as it goes i do alright but to argue that they arent an inevitability of social disenfranchisement is well a bit silly, as i said give me one example of boat rocking rioters on this scale in the last few millennia that wasnt the result of perceived (weighing up the options) helplessness rather than oooo Eddies alright so fck em

I would agree with you generally but the riots in the UK were caused by kids who don't even watch the news let alone have any opinions on the world. They did it because they were feral bored kids who followed the other sheep kids. That was all.

HOLA448

I would agree with you generally but the riots in the UK were caused by kids who don't even watch the news let alone have any opinions on the world. They did it because they were feral bored kids who followed the other sheep kids. That was all.

NO! The reason they did it is because they have zero stake in society with little to no hope of ever gaining one. This is the first generation ,coming onto the second, who have had all their jobs off shored. They might not understand the reason they were rioting, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

HOLA449

NO! The reason they did it is because they have zero stake in society with little to no hope of ever gaining one. This is the first generation ,coming onto the second, who have had all their jobs off shored. They might not understand the reason they were rioting, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

+1 I think that Georgia's main point is that human beings are kept in check because rioting will cost them - they will either be socially ostracised and/or lose any opportunity of a career.

We have a generation of have no concept of society [1], and no chance of a job that will bring in significantly more than the dole. They have no incentive to toe the line.

[1] and no, I don't mean in the (much misunderstood) Thatcher sense.

HOLA4410

I do not agree with that. We had the arab spring, predominantly young rioters and as I recall this started over economic injustice.

We have Brazil with over 1 million on the streets now, take a look at the footage, mostly younger Brazillians, again complaining about economic mismanagement/injustice.

Turkey is another country with younger rioters forming the bulk of protesters, this time over over the direction the turkish government is moving in, another form of disenfranchisment.

Swedish youth riots, due to cuts in benefits and poor economic prospects.

The London riots follow the same pattern IMO, in times of heightened economic inequality, with an out of touch, corrupt govt all it takes is one incident to bring the rioters onto the streets.

The kids in london may not be able to articulate their reasons but the basics are there across the board for all of these countries. Young, poor job prospects, cost of living increasing/benefits decreasing, un-representative government, wealth inequality ,social divisions exacerbated, (generational/ethnic/religous/class)

And its summer time.

HOLA4411

Not just off shored the poorly educated aren't even qualified enough now for some basic jobs which now require a £30k degree to get. Jobs off shored and then qualification inflation in certain job areas.

HOLA4412

Exactly. They have no reason not to riot, because they have very little to lose.

We're unlikely to have traditional political riots in Britain because we have no real politics. Only one set of ideas and one set of values are ever really given any airtime, there's no real organised opposition, and so the young are mostly apolitical.

They are also outnumbered demographically speaking, unlike the sixties.

The only real exception to this is Islamic fundamentalism, which does provide an alternative world view, does give a voice to the disenfranchised and so is understandably popular.

HOLA4413

Brazil's population structure is such that the people in their 20's are the baby boom. There is many fewer after them, and many fewer before them. Yet they are coming of age into a world which largely does not need their labour. It isn't like 20 years ago even, when huge numbers of young Brazilian men were needed in the forests and fields and mines and oil fields across the vastness of Brazil.

Brazil was one of the developing countries where there was hardly any emigration amongst the young adults. As there was such a demand for their labour right in Brazil in the rural resource development. But today the machinery is ever less labour intensive, and in addition there are at least twice as many in their 20's now as before.

Each human male at the late 20's must fight to secure the resources neccessary to raise a family. It is now or never for them, so they must take to the streets and must either overthrow the government, be enfranchised by the government, die trying, or be defeated and accept they will not be able to secure the resources they need.

One of the problems with all of these movements though, is that people do not understand the reasons for their lack of opportunity. They put it down to corruption or rich versus poor, and have idiotic proposals for solutions like getting off oil and shutting down development.

HOLA4414

THIS

If your an 18 year old apprentice looking forward to valuable and engaging training, career advancement, and later on becoming a full participating member of society your not going to go out and attempt to wreck your corner of that society. The things you wreck will be the things you are or will be using.

However if you have no stake in that society, then what does it matter if you wreck some of it? You were not going to gain anything from it anyway.

HOLA4415

THIS

If your an 18 year old apprentice looking forward to valuable and engaging training, career advancement, and later on becoming a full participating member of society your not going to go out and attempt to wreck your corner of that society. The things you wreck will be the things you are or will be using.

However if you have no stake in that society, then what does it matter if you wreck some of it? You were not going to gain anything from it anyway.

I can't imagine the frustration of a young man today with say 95 iq (in the average range), and no family connections. I know a lot in Britain turn to alcohol and drugs and video games and other escapism. Sad thing is to remove that frustration they don't need to be made rich, just a good job, afford a modest house, some pride in their position.

It really is a lack of imagination that all of them are not fully employed doing something.

HOLA4416

I think a reason young people do not riot is the constant drip of propaganda from the media that opportunities exist in the UK. The consumerization and marketization of society takes attention away from the daily realities of their lives such as unsecure work contracts, wages which do not allow them to even rent a room in a house and the sky high cost of living. Notice worker rights are rarely mentioned in the news in a positive light.

Older relatives paint a picture of achievable goals based on their unrealistic experiences of the good times. They start asking themselves what's wrong with me? They might get angry but they are on their own. I met loads of guys in their 20s who seem to have retreated into video game land, totally given up, drug addicted gamer losers. When I was younger video games were for kids, now it is socially acceptable in the UK to be 'a gamer.' They give up because they start blaming themselves for things which in reality are not their fault. I don't for one minute believe this is what they wanted their lives to turn out like. As others have said there is no solidarity in society anymore, if there was we would have an uprising. Its an ingrained dog eat dog society the media carefully polices the message and they ensure it stays this way. There is little scope for riots with the media social control in the UK.

HOLA4417

I think a reason young people do not riot is the constant drip of propaganda from the media that opportunities exist in the UK. The consumerization and marketization of society takes attention away from the daily realities of their lives such as unsecure work contracts, wages which do not allow them to even rent a room in a house and the sky high cost of living. Notice worker rights are rarely mentioned in the news in a positive light.

Older relatives paint a picture of achievable goals based on their unrealistic experiences of the good times. They start asking themselves what's wrong with me? They might get angry but they are on their own. I met loads of guys in their 20s who seem to have retreated into video game land, totally given up, drug addicted gamer losers. When I was younger video games were for kids, now it is socially acceptable in the UK to be 'a gamer.' They give up because they start blaming themselves for things which in reality are not their fault. I don't for one minute believe this is what they wanted their lives to turn out like. As others have said there is no solidarity in society anymore, if there was we would have an uprising. Its an ingrained dog eat dog society the media carefully polices the message and they ensure it stays this way. There is little scope for riots with the media social control in the UK.

Your analysis is largely correct. The UK young have well and truly been conned by the media propaganda that seeks to maintain the status quo by blaming anyone else but the people who are to blame for what has abd what is going on. In other places people would have worked out long ago who is shafting them and not fall for the propaganda that seeks to divert attention away by blaming immigration/EU/terrorist threat/human ri9ghts laws/boomers etc etc for the cr@p state the UK is in.

If the anger I see here about manipulation of house prices was turned onto the people who are doing it in anything like the way anger is manifesting itself in other countries then the UK young might have a chance of getting something done for them but as things stand they would rather fall into the traps that have been set for them and continue with the blame the wrong people game.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22946736

Could we see large demonstrations at a global sporting event? Or will the populace be bought off in the short term to avoid any political problems during the world cup?

Staging the World Cup and Olympics is an expensive project and when you don't have many public services people may question what the benefit is. As we all know historically the Olympics are an expensive white elephant which leaves a legacy of debt draining public resources for decades.

Bus fares? What a crock of sh1t.

Nothing to do with the millions of folk living in barrios around the city in absolute poverty and ambitious developers with their cronies in politics.

HOLA4420

THIS

Only if the rioters are that selective and calculating.

HOLA4421

The only real exception to this is Islamic fundamentalism, which does provide an alternative world view, does give a voice to the disenfranchised and so is understandably popular.

But is being fought against by Turkish youth who do not wish to be dragged back to the Middle Ages.

I've been loving TV coverage of Istanbul, women drinking beer in pavement cafes. It must drive the fundamentalists er... Mental!

HOLA4422

You are right the propaganda is very strong that the young adults are so lucky to be born in Britain and the opportunities are boundless. With constant examples displayed on television of ridiculously successful people. Of course a few thousand very successful people in a nation of 60 million means f-all.

I have seen many of these essentially unemployed 20 and 30 something gamers, and they have low self-confidence and do believe it is their fault. Another factor is in our society people always try to keep a positive outlook, like if I go negative on the systemic issues, people say it is best to stay positive. That is true most of the time in life, but sometimes there is actually serious systemic problems. It is like sometimes your health is in trouble, but it is best to stay positive and you will likely get over it. But other times there is actually a serious problem that needs addressing and won't just go away by keeping a positive attitude.

HOLA4423

You are right the propaganda is very strong that the young adults are so lucky to be born in Britain and the opportunities are boundless. With constant examples displayed on television of ridiculously successful people. Of course a few thousand very successful people in a nation of 60 million means f-all.

I have seen many of these essentially unemployed 20 and 30 something gamers, and they have low self-confidence and do believe it is their fault. Another factor is in our society people always try to keep a positive outlook, like if I go negative on the systemic issues, people say it is best to stay positive. That is true most of the time in life, but sometimes there is actually serious systemic problems. It is like sometimes your health is in trouble, but it is best to stay positive and you will likely get over it. But other times there is actually a serious problem that needs addressing and won't just go away by keeping a positive attitude.

Being occasionally sad or negative is a normal human emotion. If you were happy all the time there would be something wrong with you or you would be a window licker. They seem to think now you can medicate away sadness. I guess the reason for this is that there is money in it. The real reason people are sad is because their basic needs are not being met. Sometimes you need to question society rather than yourself. You are just a product of your surroundings. Before diagnosing depression always check to see that you are not surrounded by a*s*h*l*s!!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

But is being fought against by Turkish youth who do not wish to be dragged back to the Middle Ages.

I've been loving TV coverage of Istanbul, women drinking beer in pavement cafes. It must drive the fundamentalists er... Mental!

They were telling us the same thing about Egypt a year or so back...

Sure, ive seen a few women in the protests in Turkey...it seems mostly bearded males though. I doubt letting little Aisha drink lager down the bar is the top of their demands.

Erdogan is very popular. You may call them fundamentalists, but the majority agree with him.

Archived