House Price Crash Forum

Increase In Football Violence Linked To Economic Climate?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

There does seem to be more of it about, but I remember a couple of times 5 to 10 years ago when there was trouble in Manchester city centre that never made it on to the news yet appeared significant enough at the time. I have a vague memory of someone saying it was the same where they lived too (can't remember where). Perhaps it's just the tidal swoosh of the press from one fad to another and now they're looking at football hooliganism again, as they sometimes do.

HOLA444
HOLA445

The good times were rolling in 2005 yet this was the time I lived in Newcastle and found myself inadvertently in the middle of a Newcastle - Sunderland riot. I was just on my way to catch a train and found I couldn't actually get to the station because the whole of the Bigg market area was one massive fight between fans and with the police. Really bizarre experience. Don't think it made the news though.

HOLA446

Have ticket prices come down recently?

Probably just me being snobbish, but ticket prices were probably a lot lower in the 70s/80s allowing all the dregs in. Only the middle classes could afford footy matches by the 00s!

Allow the dregs in? It's always been a tribal working class game with a history of violence going back to the last century. Pitch invasions and public disorderliness were commonplace even in the 1880s! The advent of million pound salaries and Tory nonces in the posh seats hasn't changed anything - witness the abuse that gets thrown at the owners the minute a team starts losing, and sometimes even when they're winning. CCTV is what's civilised footie. Turn them cameras off and they'd be murdering each other again before you could say knife.

HOLA447

I saw the Newcastle violence first hand. What a bunch of fecking retarded monkeys they were.

Isn't it funny that people can lose their jobs, their savings, their chances of buying a home etc and we do nothing. Your team loses a football game though and that is the justification for rioting?

We really are screwed I think. I'm actually past the point of caring about the majority anymore, they'll get what they deserve for their stupidity, selfishness and childishness regarding life.

HOLA448

Have ticket prices come down recently?

Probably just me being snobbish, but ticket prices were probably a lot lower in the 70s/80s allowing all the dregs in. Only the middle classes could afford footy matches by the 00s!

Did the morons who rioted in Newcastle and London actually attend the matches that inspired their behaviour? I note that the violence took place in the centre of Newcastle and places around inner London, not actually in the football grounds themselves. I'd speculate that some if not most of the rioters had been watching the matches on pub TVs in the areas where the trouble kicked off, and that the source of the trouble probably wasn't the fans who actually attended the matches.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Did the morons who rioted in Newcastle and London actually attend the matches that inspired their behaviour? I note that the violence took place in the centre of Newcastle and places around inner London, not actually in the football grounds themselves. I'd speculate that some if not most of the rioters had been watching the matches on pub TVs in the areas where the trouble kicked off, and that the source of the trouble probably wasn't the fans who actually attended the matches.

With regards to newcastle, the football ground is pretty much in the city centre (well a couple of stone throws away to the Monument which is pretty much smack bang in the middle). Everyone pours through the city to get to the metro stations/train station. So it's always hell on derby day.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The good times were rolling in 2005 yet this was the time I lived in Newcastle and found myself inadvertently in the middle of a Newcastle - Sunderland riot. I was just on my way to catch a train and found I couldn't actually get to the station because the whole of the Bigg market area was one massive fight between fans and with the police. Really bizarre experience. Don't think it made the news though.

That's the Bigg Market, as I remember it in the 80s! :huh:

Archived