Welfare Minister Iain Duncan Smith: I Could Get By On £53 A Week

HOLA441
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

This petition people are signing about this makes me feel sick.

There are far more worthy petitions for people to sign.

Personally I would think it a good thing if all politicians were forced to spend a year living on minimum wage level income as a requirement for parliamentary office. They might then have some empathy instead of being greedy self-serving s**ts.

Edited by alexw

HOLA444

Personally I would think it a good thing if all politicians were forced to spend a year living on minimum wage level income as a requirement for parliamentary office. They might then have some empathy instead of greedy self-serving s**ts.

Could say that about some HPC posters too... :)

HOLA445
HOLA446

So true....

There's a certain type of person especially..generalising I know..brought up in a moderately affluent area by middle class parents...Perhaps had a lot of their way paid for through university (perhaps got a little "job" during the summer)...graduated, now in middle management / got a kushy number...never lived on the breadline...never really had to count the pennies... Perhaps got a mortgage via BoMaD...

They then preach about all people on benefits being scroungers and wotnot whilst never actually spending a second in those person's shoes...

I have a couple of friends sort of like this...One of them is a bit pretentious and snobby (who i'm sure looks down on me)...neither of them really have to worry about money...

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA447

Personally I would think it a good thing if all politicians were forced to spend a year living on minimum wage level income as a requirement for parliamentary office. They might then have some empathy instead of being greedy self-serving s**ts.

Have them employed on zero hour contracts too. Only get paid when in Commons. Mind then it would be packed and running 24 hours a day!

HOLA448

It's a common misconception but basic benefits and minimum wage are not the same thing. Nor should they be.

HOLA449

Just had to spend a week on my own living on take aways. :)

My culinary experience was as follows:

Sunday: Chicken Noodle Soup and King Prawn Curry.

Monday: Skate and Chips with a Gherkin.

Tuesday: Lamb Shish kebab with salad pitta bread and chips.

Wednesday: 2 Pies and Mash with Liquer and a portion of Stewed Eels.

Thursday: King Prawn with mixed Vegetables and Special Fried Rice.

Friday: Chicken Noodle Soup Special Chow Mein and Egg Fried Rice.

Saturday: Sweet and Sour King Prawn Balls ( 12 )and Special Fried Rice.

No Burghers, no Indian, no McDonalds or no KFC.

Even afforded it from IDS,s Pension.

HOLA4410
There's a certain type of person especially..generalising I know..brought up in a moderately affluent area by middle class parents...Perhaps had a lot of their way paid for through university (perhaps got a little "job" during the summer)...graduated, now in middle management / got a kushy number...never lived on the breadline...never really had to count the pennies... Perhaps got a mortgage via BoMaD...

They then preach about all people on benefits being scroungers and wotnot whilst never actually spending a second in those person's shoes...

I have a couple of friends sort of like this...One of them is a bit pretentious and snobby (who i'm sure looks down on me)...neither of them really have to worry about money...

And it's another generalisation to note that it's not usually the poor who throw themselves in front of tube trains or off balconies due to poverty- it's most often the better off person who has fallen on hard times.

So while they preach the gospel of mental toughness and resilience to the lower orders it's not quite that easy when you find yourself in that situation.

HOLA4411

And it's another generalisation to note that it's not usually the poor who throw themselves in front of tube trains or off balconies due to poverty- it's most often the better off person who has fallen on hard times.

So while they preach the gospel of mental toughness and resilience to the lower orders it's not quite that easy when you find yourself in that situation.

Its not better to have loved and lost.

Esp if what you loved was money/status.

HOLA4412

..well according to IDS he was unemployed when he left the army in his twenties ..signed on the dole ..it has been reported the person interviewed by the BBC was not quite accurate in calculating his own income...and when did the BBC ever have to earn money by it's own efforts and resources...?... :rolleyes:

HOLA4413

You mean the ones who live in Islington and take the Guardian or BBC line about the horrors of living on less than the bleeding hearts tell them is a good life?

Meanwhile those of us stuck for ten, twenty, thirty, or more years of our life in a grotty bedsit while getting no benefits but instead paying a big chunk of our hard-earned income in tax might legitimately resent those taxes funding people far better-off than us. We're the ones who know very well what it's like to live on very little money, and (having accepted being less rich than the Guardianistas) know that £53/week on top of the cost of your house is ample to live on.

HOLA4414

This petition people are signing about this makes me feel sick.

There are far more worthy petitions for people to sign.

Yes bedroom tax ones, and hounding social tenants for sure. After all they created the crisis.

"Its all the fault of the jews..!" a certain Austrian upstart proclaimed once.

Oh dear, Godwin'd.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Going a bit OT, but yes.

Yes she has.

Both my examples left school at 16 with rubbish qualifications.

Don't accept anything, accepting the situation is the first problem.

No, there is a huge amount of initiative in the Third World but many live in what we would call poverty as you point out.

Very true, I'm amazed at the resourcefulness of people in developing countries.

HOLA4418

because they were bankers, not because they were in state housing

But yes you are correct, you can just read HPC, telegraph, guardian , anywhere and the same vitriol exists, they just call them banksters today instead of Jews

Were German pre-war homosexuals, gypsies and disabled too bankers? Had nothing to do with being "bankers."

If people cannot see what is going on today, they are blind. Classic distraction politics. Pin some element of blame on some sector of society that had nothing to do with the fundamental part of the crisis, and gain popular support by it. Yeh its all the unemployed scroungers, single mums and those with spare bedrooms that bust the banking system. Burn them! Mind this Philpott tragedy hasn't helped and dare say will be fully exploited to bring in the neccessary "reforms."

The FascistTories will get a lot of support for this, but in reality the turkeys will be voting for Christmas, when the "middle class" welfare goes on the bonfire too. Let them get on with it.

Edited by Secure Tenant

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

You mean the ones who live in Islington and take the Guardian or BBC line about the horrors of living on less than the bleeding hearts tell them is a good life?

Meanwhile those of us stuck for ten, twenty, thirty, or more years of our life in a grotty bedsit while getting no benefits but instead paying a big chunk of our hard-earned income in tax might legitimately resent those taxes funding people far better-off than us. We're the ones who know very well what it's like to live on very little money, and (having accepted being less rich than the Guardianistas) know that £53/week on top of the cost of your house is ample to live on.

Didn't mention left or right, but a certain type of people...you see those on the left, who are loaded, who stand up for the various causes of the poor, but are sort of "patronising" them, because they don't really understand their issues (as they walk back their million quid town houses in Islington - as you mentioned, and then go and tell all their friends about all the good they are doing....)

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What I don't understand is why the guy asked IDS to live on £53 a week when he lives on £150 a week?:blink:

Let's face it, the MPs struggle to do a fairly easy job on £1,200 a week. And that's will all their other expenses (like accomodation, travel to and from work, etc) met for them by taxpayer.

IDS couldn't live on £150 a week or £53 a week if he had to cover all his costs.