House Price Crash Forum

Champions League Match In England Was Fixed

Thunderbird 900

HOLA441

OK, get your thinking caps on now...

Which Champions League game in England was fixed?

I would hazard a guess that it was the Chelsea v Barcelona game in 2009.

Your thoughts?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2273239/Champions-League-match-England-rigged-Asian-crime-gang-Europol-launches-biggest-match-fixing-investigation-380-games.html#axzz2JlkF78BE

HOLA442
HOLA443

Loads are fixed, all over the place.

You only have to follow the betting markets closely for a while to see this. Wild swings in the odds as vast sums of money come in on one side then the other way, and guess what, whenever this happens there is something odd about the game. Changes in selection, floodlight failures, strange officiating, you name it.

I made quite a lot out of these bent games by following it a few years ago, but it's very dangerous unless you're a real insider and know exactly what will happen because different books react differently to things like floodlight failures. I got lucky a couple of times.

Oh, and bookies don't like people who bet large sums on these games while the odds are moving, funny that.

Football is bent.

HOLA444

I remember that Liverpool champions league game (well I don't remember it, but it had some stunning last minute goals). Was it against Barca, Gerrard scored?

So who are known gamblers, with gambling problems? Riise, JT? Rooney? Not that I'm implying they are involved.

HOLA445

This doesn't mean it was an English club doing the nasty does it? Probably the away team I think.

The amount the Chelsea players are paid and the owner has you can rule them out. Would you really

want to go on Abromovich's naughty list?

My money would be on (no pun....) a small team playing their away game here.

HOLA446

I remember that Liverpool champions league game (well I don't remember it, but it had some stunning last minute goals). Was it against Barca, Gerrard scored?

So who are known gamblers, with gambling problems? Riise, JT? Rooney? Not that I'm implying they are involved.

Apparently the fixed game was in the last three years.

Liverpool have been playing the Europa League for the last three seasons (including the present one) so on that basis Liverpool look unlikely to have been involved.

While on the subject of match fixing, the last time the floodlights went out at a major soccer match, they went out at another shortly after, IIRC. There were suspicions at the time that this was the influence of illegal betting syndicates.

With the lights going out at the Fulham v Man Utd match on Saturday then the lights going out at the Superbowl last night the police should be investigating.

HOLA447
HOLA448

This doesn't mean it was an English club doing the nasty does it? Probably the away team I think.

The amount the Chelsea players are paid and the owner has you can rule them out. Would you really

want to go on Abromovich's naughty list?

Agreed, to fix the result you'd need probably 4 or 5 of the first team players on board - even then given the size of the squads there's no guarantee that they'd even be playing. It just isn't going to be practical.

My money would be on (no pun....) a small team playing their away game here.

I'm not so sure - are a small team going to be able to reliably fix the result even if they tried?

Most likley it would be the match officials who'd be easiest to bribe.

HOLA449

If it's the last three years, perhaps MUFC v Bayern in 2010? United scored like 3 times in 10 minutes or something and it looked like it'd be a walkover, than Rafael got himself sent off and everything changed. You'd think anything where a particular decision changed the game or where a team suddenly got a lot more shit would be the most likely. Or have there been any significant own goals recently? Also I wonder if it would be easier to fix a dead rubber game. There've been a few of those.

HOLA4410

I would say Chelsea Barcelona had a nasty stink about it. Maybe the players weren't even involved. The refereeing was particularly noticable. Suspicious at the very least.

EDIT: wiki

I was at that game. Chelsea v Barcelona. I said during and after the game that I believed the Referee was bent. It was a shocker !! Of course we were put down as bitter football fans.

I have been going football for 35 years and left that game bemused, confused and totally ******ed off. Never seen anything like it before.

Be good if it was proven to be a fix. Doubt that will be allowed to happen though.

Bosh

HOLA4411

It'd be pretty tempting as a ref, you take abuse from a bunch of utter w*nkers, on and off the pitch, week in week out for relatively normal remuneration, some of those abusing you are ignorant little toe-rags with no education who earn 50-100k a week. Someone offers you a 6 figure sum to fix a game, hell, no-one's going to die, are they?

Actually I think I'd p*ss off the likes of John Terry for free, you wouldn't even need to bribe me.

HOLA4412

Thing is, you can bet on almost anything these days, it sure doesn't have to involve the players and it sure doesn't have to be a bet on the result.

My guess is that we're perhaps talking about whether a penalty, or perhaps a red card will be awarded. Both betting markets are readily available.

You don't even need to win every time either, you just need the odds in your favour. For example, if a penalty is awarded on average once every three games, then those odds will be reflected in the betting market. If you've got a ref who's being bunged money to award a greater number of penalties than average, then the odds are on your side.

Of course snooker is the classic bent game. Frame scores are just sooooo easy to manipulate, and with a massive amount of Asian money and interest in the game, it's surely as corrupt as any sport.

Number of corners

Number of throw ins

Time of first stoppage etc.

HOLA4413

I would say Chelsea Barcelona had a nasty stink about it. Maybe the players weren't even involved. The refereeing was particularly noticable. Suspicious at the very least.

It would be a sensible target for a fix.

It was likely to be a close game between evenly matched sides; one or two refereeing decisions either way might be expected to change the result without being too noticable, being a high profile match there would be large amounts of money wagered upon it so any unusual betting patterns would be harder to pick up.

Maybe that was the plan but Chelsea were good enough on the night to cause the referee serious embarassment. Or maybe it's nothing. :unsure:

HOLA4414

It would be a sensible target for a fix.

Maybe that was the plan but Chelsea were good enough on the night to cause the referee serious embarassment. Or maybe it's nothing. :unsure:

I`m no conspiracy theorist but I will always believe that game was fixed until I draw my last breath. It was not just the 4 penalty shouts. The Ref was making all sorts of strange decisions all night in favour of Barca. The Press were never going to shout foul play as they would have needed proof so the attention was aimed at Didier Drogba for calling the ref a cheat.

HOLA4415

Agreed, to fix the result you'd need probably 4 or 5 of the first team players on board - even then given the size of the squads there's no guarantee that they'd even be playing. It just isn't going to be practical.

or the goalkeeper - easy for him to help his team lose I guess.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The trouble is once this sort of allegation is made you can start to doubt any result.

Tuesday 10 April 2007

Man Utd 7 - 1 Roma (Agg: 8 - 3)

I was in Italy for that one. Didn't look that suspicious, no poor officials or any one player screwing up. Just sublime play by Man Utd. Realistically only one or two players/officials would be involved so Chesea vs Barca or anything similar would be a very good shout.

The Roma team had to make a national apology afterward IIRC.

Archived