House Price Crash Forum

China To Flatten 700 Mountains To Build A City

R K

HOLA441

Wonder how that made it past the local council planning dept and Tory NIMBYs

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/08/china-to-flatten-700-mountains-to-build-a-city/

The so-called “mountain-moving project,” was actually launched in October, and not only is the scale gargantuan, but the costs are astronomical. As much as $3.5 billion will be used to blow up 700 mountains, the Guardian reports, to make room for a full-fledged city in a poor, mountainous province in northwestern China. The country’s state council approved the plan in August after years of preparation, according to China Economic Weekly magazine.

The future city, called the Lanzhou New Area, will be built on the outskirts of Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu province with a population of 3.6 million. The company behind the proposal, China Pacific Construction Group, promises to build an urban paradise, 10 square miles in size and capable of generating as much as $43 billion in GDP by 2030, China Daily reports.

The promotional video shows the new metropolis, which will cost another $11 billion to build, will be filled with high-rises, lakes, beaches and gardens.

It sounds grand — except for the fact that Lanzhou has some of the worst pollution in China, according to World Health Organization. Factories producing textiles, fertilizer and chemicals have clogged the air with smoke and particulates, while their waste has discolored the Yellow River, which runs through the province.

HOLA442

About a third of one month's trade surplpus.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0d391b9e-2b32-11e2-910c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2EUBMpL63

China trade surplus biggest in nearly four years

By Simon Rabinovitch in Beijing

China notched up its biggest trade surplus in nearly four years in October, giving the country’s economic recovery an extra boost but potentially adding fuel to foreign criticism of Beijing’s support for its exporters.

Chinese exports increased 11.6 per cent last month, topping market expectations and pushing the trade surplus to $32bn, China’s largest since January 2009

HOLA443

About a third of one month's trade surplpus.

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz2EUBMpL63

China trade surplus biggest in nearly four years

By Simon Rabinovitch in Beijing

China notched up its biggest trade surplus in nearly four years in October, giving the country's economic recovery an extra boost but potentially adding fuel to foreign criticism of Beijing's support for its exporters.

Chinese exports increased 11.6 per cent last month, topping market expectations and pushing the trade surplus to $32bn, China's largest since January 2009

They've already 'spent' the trade surplus. That's why they have a surplus. It resides in dollar (assets)

It was more the point about flattening 700 mountains.

HOLA444

They've already 'spent' the trade surplus. That's why they have a surplus. It resides in dollar (assets)

It was more the point about flattening 700 mountains.

China has been scaling back US treasury holdings - the only game in town now is the FED.

Kind of my point - even flattening 700 mountains and building a city doesn't put a dent into their earnings.

HOLA445

Wonder how that made it past the local council planning dept and Tory NIMBYs

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/08/china-to-flatten-700-mountains-to-build-a-city/

What is the point in blowing up a mountain ?

Surely all the dirt and rock will fly in the air and land back down where it came from.

What they need is to level the mountains or blow them away.

Should have had a job in construction.

HOLA446

When I was a young kid it used to trouble me that the outline of the United Kingdom was so uneven, higgledy, piggledy. I used to daydream about when I would run the country I would start a project to straighten all those uneven lines out with lots of concrete.

Flattening mountains seems emminently sensible to me. Probably create a nice geometrically designed city too, What's not to like. :P

What are you going to do for water?

Re blasting mountains I watched Portillo's railway journey through Switzerland and I think he said 200 workers died blasting a tunnel through a mountain.

Anybody got a death spread for the Chinese project?

HOLA447
HOLA448

I wonder if this is linked to the South-North water transfer project ?

Soon there will be plenty of fresh water to support growth in these northern regions.. so the Chinese are pre-emptively building a brand new city for it. Makes sense. Kind of.

WOW, 2 month's trade surplus.

50% of puopulation apparently, should think it will ensure water for agriculture/sanitation as much as anything.

http://construction.about.com/od/Benchmark-Projects/a/Top-10-Largest-Construction-Projects.htm

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'd be more concerned of changing weather patterns, mountain ranges and mountains can create weather for hundreds of miles across so uh... Not a good idea destroying mountains, cos it probably will have knock on effects country wide.

Yep, fully agree... but, hey, what is that compared to relentless march of capitalism.

I wonder if they will find any yellow or silver stuff.

HOLA4416

If we did this for Wales and Scotland we would have plenty more land for loads more immigrants... Ben Nevis must be worth a city or two by itself.

We need some kind of giant roller project - something for BAE to start lobbying for.

No need.

Next time Kirsty (sic) is on holiday in the provinces, trip her up and give her a push.

Edited by SeeYouNextTuesday

HOLA4417

A good idea. We have lots of hills/mountains and not much space. We could blow up mountains and deposit the rubble in to the sea to make more islands, a two fold benefit.

Of course, the UK would be ugly and flat, like the netherlands, but we'd have more land.

We have plenty of space. It's a resource distribution problem.

HOLA4418

The Pennines are a pain in the ar5e. Can't we sort something out there?

If the Chinese were really smart they'd wait until they go to war with the US and pretend their govt. were hiding in caves in said mountains. Get them to do it for them.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I'd be more concerned of changing weather patterns, mountain ranges and mountains can create weather for hundreds of miles across so uh... Not a good idea destroying mountains, cos it probably will have knock on effects country wide.

+1

I'm sad so many people don't think of these sorts of knock on effects. Changing such a massive structure will inevitably damage the local eco-system that has been balancing itself for thousands of years. This is a very short sighted plan IMO.

Humans are truly stupid to think they know better than nature. Then there's the fact that dramatic natural landscapes, waterfalls, rock formations etc all have the power to inspire awe & have unquantifiable positive effects to those who respect them. They are part of a natural resource - one of beauty & inspiration.

Not to mention the more tangible resources of water, plant growth, energy storage (hydroelectric pumping system such as Dinorwig, which I like to think of as a giant natural battery), places for wild creatures, an outdoor gym for those so inclined, natural shelter, suitable for forests which produce our oxygen, enrich the soil, and the mountain rivers help carry nutrients and minerals to keep the land below fertile.

Along with forests, mountains are one of the most important providers of our most precious resources. Get rid of them and they are gone forever.

HOLA4425

+1

I'm sad so many people don't think of these sorts of knock on effects. Changing such a massive structure will inevitably damage the local eco-system that has been balancing itself for thousands of years. This is a very short sighted plan IMO.

Humans are truly stupid to think they know better than nature. Then there's the fact that dramatic natural landscapes, waterfalls, rock formations etc all have the power to inspire awe & have unquantifiable positive effects to those who respect them. They are part of a natural resource - one of beauty & inspiration.

Not to mention the more tangible resources of water, plant growth, energy storage (hydroelectric pumping system such as Dinorwig, which I like to think of as a giant natural battery), places for wild creatures, an outdoor gym for those so inclined, natural shelter, suitable for forests which produce our oxygen, enrich the soil, and the mountain rivers help carry nutrients and minerals to keep the land below fertile.

Along with forests, mountains are one of the most important providers of our most precious resources. Get rid of them and they are gone forever.

Planet earth is several billion years old. It is expected to last another 6 billion year. During that time it has had meteorite strikes, ice ages and super volcanoes. Anything man does it but a blip.

We won't kill mother nature, at worst we risk making the place less pleasant for ourselves.

All this "were killing the planet" sh## makes me want to punch people.