House Price Crash Forum

Bendy Phones

R K

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20526577

But rumours abound that next year will see the launch of the first bendy phone. Numerous companies are working on the technology - LG, Philips, Sharp, Sony and Nokia among them - although reports suggest that South Korean phone manufacturer Samsung will be the first to deliver.

_64440275_nokia-morph_600x600.jpg Morph is one of the bendable prototypes Nokia has been working on Samsung favours smartphones with so-called flexible OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) technology, and is confident that they will be "very popular among consumers worldwide".

Their screens will be "foldable, rollable, wearable and more, [and] will allow for a high degree of durability through their use of a plastic substrate that is thinner, lighter and more flexible than… conventional LCD technology," says a Samsung spokesperson.

Can anybody explain the point?

(delighted for Manc Uni and the graphene industry obviously)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

My current provider called me about an upgrade (currently on an S2) and I just couldn't get too excited about the S3 (faster?, so what?). I guess with the mobile phone industry you have to make things 'different' to keep sales moving. That means exclusive (Vertu), or 'exclusive' (Apple) or trendy (your phone doesn't bend?, how old-fashioned).

From a technical standpoint, I guess it might lead to less failures from broken screens?

Is this a big issue? I suppose it may be.

I guess a big leap forward in reducing energy inputs would be worthwhile, but I'm puzzled by 'bendy' as being much of a step forward.

I dare say people will buy them just 'cause they're bendy though. I guess I'm just a late adopter.

HOLA446

This story topped every other story on the BBC Website yesterday as the most read (you know ahead of conflict in the Middle East, crisis in Greece). I think this neatly somes quite a lot of things up.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Is this a big issue? I suppose it may be.

I guess a big leap forward in reducing energy inputs would be worthwhile, but I'm puzzled by 'bendy' as being much of a step forward.

I dare say people will buy them just 'cause they're bendy though. I guess I'm just a late adopter.

Huge issue as far as I'm concerned. Drop a smart phone and (from my experience) you have a 1 in 3 or 4 chance of the screen cracking, major crack necessitates a £75 new screen.

Normal non-smart phones are far more likely to survive unscathed.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Archived