House Price Crash Forum

Housing Market Collapse Can't Be Far Off.

HOLA441

Could be wrong, but I get a feeling someone is going to pop up with links that disprove what you just said.

I doubt they can, it is true sadly, South London tube zone 3. Properties selling for 2007 + at least 5% and right up to 20% more over past quarter. Flippers back in the area with gusto, buying up houses of the run down type where an old person has died and bringing them back on for high profits. Have a look on the Balham Hyde Farm thread in Greater London forum if you want links.

We are turning into a third world country, a rich town with prices getting out of reach of majority of population with deterioration all around it.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I doubt they can, it is true sadly, South London tube zone 3. Properties selling for 2007 + at least 5% and right up to 20% more over past quarter. Flippers back in the area with gusto, buying up houses of the run down type where an old person has died and bringing them back on for high profits. Have a look on the Balham Hyde Farm thread in Greater London forum if you want links.

We are turning into a third world country, a rich town with prices getting out of reach of majority of population with deterioration all around it.

Overall sales volumes not what they were in 2007 though? I read the thread, there as many posters saying that it can`t last as there are saying it is booming? Pockets of madness in London won`t stop a wider UK house price crash.

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA443

No, it's not what we are turning into that the explains the continuing inflation of the London bubble - it is what London already is; London is an asset bubble soaking up excess savings and other kinds of hot money from all over the world. Wait till the investment starts running the other way before we decide whether London is rich town, or just a place with (temporarily) over-priced houses.

When you needed 25x median earnings to buy a family home in Zone 5, I call shenanigans.

If these prices were holding up at normal transactions levels that would be one thing. In reality everyone is just holding their breath, (whilst waiting to drown).

HOLA444
HOLA445

No, it's not what we are turning into that the explains the continuing inflation of the London bubble - it is what London already is; London is an asset bubble soaking up excess savings and other kinds of hot money from all over the world. Wait till the investment starts running the other way before we decide whether London is rich town, or just a place with (temporarily) over-priced houses.

When you needed 25x median earnings to buy a family home in Zone 5, I call shenanigans.

If these prices were holding up at normal transactions levels that would be one thing. In reality everyone is just holding their breath, (whilst waiting to drown).

:D

11/10

HOLA446

I don`t really get what you are trying to say? The banks can`t lend, the city is shedding masses of jobs, and the politicians are desperately babbling over the top of it all trying to get your vote, meanwhile sales volumes have collapsed and most people have no chance of selling their house for anything near what they would like, that is the real world :lol:

No, that is the hpc world and not the reality.

HOLA447
HOLA448

You have gone and done it again :(

Yes, I know what you are saying, but the drop off in volumes is an indicator of how behaviour and credit availability is changing things, many people who bought in `06 or `07 never dreamed they couldn`t just pop their house on the market two or three years later and get what they wanted for it. Are you saying today`s volumes are normal? I think they will increase as prices fall.

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA449
HOLA4410

So you are saying that the banks are lending as they did, the city isn`t shedding jobs, and the politicians are in control?

the banks are lending, they are just choosing who to lend to whilst sitting on the money they were given and strengthening.

the city is shedding jobs - and increasing profit

the politicians are maintaining the status quo

HOLA4411

the banks are lending, they are just choosing who to lend to whilst sitting on the money they were given and strengthening.

The city is shedding jobs and shifting out. This country as been bled dry with debt, there's not much worth hanging around for. If the leaving execs can get top dollar for their box in london they will be more than happy to keep the pretence of this bubble going long enough for them bang out.

Thanks for all the fish.

HOLA4412

The city is shedding jobs and shifting out. This country as been bled dry with debt, there's not much worth hanging around for. If the leaving execs can get top dollar for their box in london they will be more than happy to keep the pretence of this bubble going long enough for them bang out.

Thanks for all the fish.

The country hasnt been bled dry yet - thats why all the new schemes and scams and trying to get the next generation involved any way possible instead of letting them stand back.

HOLA4413

Well no, the status quo used to be that it was easy to sell a house for a profit almost anywhere in the UK?

HOLA4414

Well no, the status quo used to be that it was easy to sell a house for a profit almost anywhere in the UK?

I would have thought the longer term status quo was ridiculously priced houses at high multiples of earnings.

Prices have remained high, they may have fallen in many areas but have wages increased? are they any more affordable than previously? has much really changed?

HOLA4415

The country hasnt been bled dry yet - thats why all the new schemes and scams and trying to get the next generation involved any way possible instead of letting them stand back.

They are standing back though, as are the banks, you would need both fully engaged in lending and buying for the past ten years to be repeated. It won`t happen again in our lifetime. The majority of homeowners with no mortgage, and no ties or liabilities to the banks, will be forced to cut their prices so that the banks can lend again to the next generation at low prices higher multiples.

HOLA4416

No good selling a house for a profit if the next house you buy wipes that profit out...........Rents are far more important than house prices........rents are closely linked to income and more and more today on benefits.....there are big changes to come, when a job will not pay the rent why work in that job......move to a better place where the work will pay the rent and still have a bit left over for savings.

RENTS are the tipping point. ;)

HOLA4417

No good selling a house for a profit if the next house you buy wipes that profit out...........Rents are far more important than house prices........rents are closely linked to income and more and more today on benefits.....there are big changes to come, when a job will not pay the rent why work in that job......move to a better place where the work will pay the rent and still have a bit left over for savings.

RENTS are the tipping point. ;)

My rent in central Edinburgh was 350 p.m in 1997, and is 450 p.m today, I can`t comment on rents really, they have gone nowhere in 15 years in my experience.

HOLA4418

They are standing back though, as are the banks, you would need both fully engaged in lending and buying for the past ten years to be repeated. It won`t happen again in our lifetime. The majority of homeowners with no mortgage, and no ties or liabilities to the banks, will be forced to cut their prices so that the banks can lend again to the next generation at low prices higher multiples.

It may not reach the feverish levels again in the next couple of decades but the banks and government havent given up and have no intention of.

Look at the part buy schemes, interest free deposit loans and many other new scams sucking in the next generation and putting them on the hook.

The banks just have to wait for the older and mortgage free to die off because the next time that house comes on the market it needs a new mortgage to be bought. The asking price may be lower but the multiples and percentage of profit wont be

HOLA4419

My rent in central Edinburgh was 350 p.m in 1997, and is 450 p.m today, I can`t comment on rents really, they have gone nowhere in 15 years in my experience.

Well if you have a good deal with your rent, are a good payer with added security that you won't be given notice to leave on the spur of the moment why buy you would be mad to imo. ;)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It may not reach the feverish levels again in the next couple of decades but the banks and government havent given up and have no intention of.

I've been renting for the last seven years and am substantially better off as a result and I have no intention of buying until value returns to the market, which it will. The decision not to buy when we moved area in 2005 was one of my better ones :D.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I've been renting for the last seven years and am substantially better off as a result and I have no intention of buying until value returns to the market, which it will. The decision not to buy when we moved area in 2005 was one of my better ones :D.

I will eat my hat when you buy.........but you rent in France and Spain where rents are good value and security of tenure is far better than your average bed sit Londoner. ;)

HOLA4424

I agree but my issue is with all of this imminent collapse bolox.

It aint gonna happen.

When the people in charge have the most to lose and are the ones that set the rules they aint gonna let things play out in a way that cuts their throats and makes life easy for the majority.

Interest rates to near zero, quantative easing - who saw those coming? what next?

HOLA4425

I agree but my issue is with all of this imminent collapse bolox.

It aint gonna happen.

When the people in charge have the most to lose and are the ones that set the rules they aint gonna let things play out in a way that cuts their throats and makes life easy for the majority.

Interest rates to near zero, quantative easing - who saw those coming? what next?

People will go where the money flows......where they can progress, improve and add value. ;)