House Price Crash Forum

Dodgy London Slumlords

HOLA441

Just coming up now on BBC1

Saw it earlier. People paying £350 a month for a loft space, with a loft hatch for a front door!

Still its always good to see the free market in action.

They find the home of one Asian landlord, who is not at home but there are a pile of breeze blocks in the garden which suggest another shed house in the making!

Edited by Socially Housed

HOLA442

The live-in shed has been a phenomenon for a while (see Slough). Import 3m immigrants, without the resource and capacity justify/accommodate it, and an exploitative culture and and this sort of thing is bound to happen.

The sooner the edifice collapses the better and a reset can begin.

HOLA443

Just coming up now on BBC1

Saw it earlier. People paying £350 a month for a loft space, with a loft hatch for a front door!

Still its always good to see the free market in action.

They find the home of one Asian landlord, who is not at home but there are a pile of breeze blocks in the garden which suggest another shed house in the making!

My bro's neighbour is/was a London slumlord- people were living in a gazebo in the garden.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

some of the sheds in that picture look luxurious compared with the hellholes visited by the reporters.

Didn't say what happened when they find these slums with occupants..

LB Newham: "Mr Slumlord you are running a slum"

Slumlord: "Fair cop guv, I'll kick everyone out onto the streets."

LB Newham: "Um errr, lets not be too hasty now!"

Amazed at the guy paying £650 for slum and sounded and looked indigenous to the City. Sure you could get a fairly decent flat/house share in East London for that. Makes you wonder what he does for living, because that would pay a decent mortgage, just not his of course. dry.gif

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
People paying £350 a month for a loft space, with a loft hatch for a front door!

Ha. That brought back memories of when I was looking for my first job. Bunked on a friends' floor - His "flat" was an attic space with a hatch that his landlord burst through on Saturday morning with a demand for rent. Delightful.

HOLA4412

Ha. That brought back memories of when I was looking for my first job. Bunked on a friends' floor - His "flat" was an attic space with a hatch that his landlord burst through on Saturday morning with a demand for rent. Delightful.

That's proper renting, that is. None of this laa-di-daa tenants rights.

Hope that landlord got something similar to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm2r5gTJGDA

HOLA4413

They can't keep hiding more and more townships with populations times the size of Milton Keynes in lofts and back gardens.

With the huge projected increases in UK population over the next few years plus the existing substandard hidden township accommodation throughout London and the south east it's just inevitable that eventually they're just going to have to do what they term as concreting it over.

Building on the experience of influxes such as the Huguenots who mainly settled and built lives in and around London early London planners had great wisdom and foresight and forsaw that future mass population increases were likely to want to settle in London and the south east and anticipating this designed London with plenty of spare space with all the London forests, parks, commons and greens etc available to help accommodate the population explosion.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4414

Didn't say what happened when they find these slums with occupants..

LB Newham: "Mr Slumlord you are running a slum"

Slumlord: "Fair cop guv, I'll kick everyone out onto the streets."

LB Newham: "Um errr, lets not be too hasty now!"

Amazed at the guy paying £650 for slum and sounded and looked indigenous to the City. Sure you could get a fairly decent flat/house share in East London for that. Makes you wonder what he does for living, because that would pay a decent mortgage, just not his of course. dry.gif

I thought it had benefits written all over it.

HOLA4415

You just can't beat the private sector for letting innovation! :lol:

HOLA4416

Rubbish, LAs always take action against the indigenous slum landlords. ;)

Especially the LB of Newham.

they do...they take them to court time after time...the £200 fine is just the cost of doing business.

treating people like dogs is fineable.

steal a mars bar and its jail.

HOLA4417

they do...they take them to court time after time...the £200 fine is just the cost of doing business.

treating people like dogs is fineable.

steal a mars bar and its jail.

Be interesting to compare the fines for human ill treatment and animal ill treatment!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'm waiting for the first pair to don a pantomime horse outfit and build themselves some stables to live out of in the country.

Unauthorized structures in the country would be bulldozed immediately. Bailiffs, mass police presence. High Court warrants. 100% guaranteed!

What was funny about last nights news item was that one landlord was completely open about it, even have a small office.

"Can I rent a shed please?"

"Yes here are the keys!"

I bet Newham BC are hiring helicopters, and heat seaking detectors, to find the sheds!:lol:

HOLA4420

Unauthorized structures in the country would be bulldozed immediately. Bailiffs, mass police presence. High Court warrants. 100% guaranteed!

What was funny about last nights news item was that one landlord was completely open about it, even have a small office.

"Can I rent a shed please?"

"Yes here are the keys!"

I bet Newham BC are hiring helicopters, and heat seaking detectors, to find the sheds!:lol:

well, they should be, there is serious council tax evasion going on.

maybe google earth could help.

HOLA4421

Plenty of offences that the LA can prosecute for including housing and planning, then appropriate use of POCA on these scumlords will soon have them quaking.

The problem is principally one of poor enforcement, obviously discounting the failure of immigration policy and the political implications of the huge homelessness increase proper enforcement would no doubt trigger.

Edit to add

A large proportion of my duties now include confiscation under POCA against these type of landlords, but there has to be the political want to tackle it.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

HOLA4422

The live-in shed has been a phenomenon for a while (see Slough). Import 3m immigrants, without the resource and capacity justify/accommodate it, and an exploitative culture and and this sort of thing is bound to happen.

The sooner the edifice collapses the better and a reset can begin.

It is not just immigration. Giving houses in the South East to people who don't work whilst there are plenty of empty houses for them in other parts of the UK hasn't helped.

There are people I know off in their 50's who live in London and have never worked - give them a flat in Gorbal and give the parasite's flat to a worker would help.

HOLA4423

It is not just immigration. Giving houses in the South East to people who don't work whilst there are plenty of empty houses for them in other parts of the UK hasn't helped.

There are people I know off in their 50's who live in London and have never worked - give them a flat in Gorbal and give the parasite's flat to a worker would help.

Interestingly this from someone who posted on now a ruined thread:

http://www.rightmove...y-34934740.html

OK ex Council on the huge Becontree Council Estate near the quaint village of Dagenham. Private rent ain't that much higher than if it was still carncil.