House Price Crash Forum

For Sale: One French Village Complete With Stables, Tennis Courts And A Swimming Pool... For Just £275,000

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Looks like a bit of a liabilty to me, more of a shanty town or the back garden of a greedy elderley boomer with the proverbial falling to bits sheds, the swimming pool they couldn't afford to heat and the overgrown tennis court.

Agree and you've got to evict the drunks/vagrants too before you can do any repair work. How many security guards would you need to protect a 19 property estate?

French property prices probably falling as they don't have a massive influx of peasants (sorry I meant "genuine asylum seekers") and about 4 times the land mass of the UK for the same 61 million population so no articifial pressure on propery prices.

:angry:

HOLA447
HOLA448

Have been having a look at Fench propeorty prices on the usual portals - i.e. not the main Century 21? adn alike.

Seen prices that I have not seen for a long time - empty shells from £7K up. The collpasing sterling and new tax/occupancy rules looks to have tipped the second home market over the edge. A lot of value for money in space terms evening with a miserable exchange rate.

HOLA449

Looks like a bit of a liabilty to me, more of a shanty town or the back garden of a greedy elderley boomer with the proverbial falling to bits sheds, the swimming pool they couldn't afford to heat and the overgrown tennis court.

If you Google Earth it, it's isolated and on top of a hill. I'll bet that water supply is a problem up there, probably the electrickery has to be generated on-site. They did try to convert it to a resort, it says...easy to see why that failed. It must have tremendous views, but not much else. Damn cold in the winter as well.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yea but who wants to live in Limoges? You freeze every winter yet it is not high and cold enough for skiing. If I wanted that I could move to the Scottish Highlands. Rain, wind, rocks and poor soil.

think of the nuts, the cakes, the Bergerac Wines, the duck, the pates.....wonderful region with an English Climate....

HOLA4412

Your right its a liability and its not a village its a hamlet!

Today its used for 'rave partys " and squatters now live there

Already been up for auction and not a single bid

Having said that this region has lots of empty hamlets

Deserted, you can just drive into one of these places and visit the houses

BTW You should never buy property in this region

Why buy when you can get it for free!

All you need is a business plan showing that you have a serious project and the regional development board will offer you a house!

As or the climate well its -10c this morning next to Geneva!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

This comment says it all. ;)

It looks idyllic, but don't be fooled. This is worth no more than £30K in France. The properties would cost a kings ransom to restore and most would be only good for demolition. That leaves you with very expensive land. Land is as cheap as chips in France but building, especially renovating is extremely expensive. Following on from experience, I wouldn't touch it at any price. The land tax 'fonciere' alone would be crippling and once restored the habitation tax would make your eyes water. Best left to the vandals or to rot.

- Christian Crusader, Mirambeau, France, 22/2/2012 13:01

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So he's saying land tax is keeping house prices down, and preventing people making speculative property purchases?

Surely it would push prices and rent's up, what with landlords needing to pay the tax? </irony>

France splits council tax into two parts. Tax fonciere is simply based on the size and facilities of the property (like bands A-G). Tax habitation depends on if it is a second home, if you have low income etc. The two parts together are probably still less than UK council tax.

Being a landlord in France is not so easy. Tenants have rights and landlords responsibilities. If the landlord is losing money on the deal, tant pis, it ain't the tenants problem.

HOLA4417

France splits council tax into two parts. Tax fonciere is simply based on the size and facilities of the property (like bands A-G). Tax habitation depends on if it is a second home, if you have low income etc. The two parts together are probably still less than UK council tax.

Very much depends where you live. My parents in law have a 100 m2 flat in Grenoble, they pay 3,500 euros / yr in Tax d'Hab and Taxe foncière which is not completely untypical for towns and cities.

The problem with Limoges is there is no work. Legrand is the biggest employer but apart from them there are very few entreprises with more than 100 staff. Even the pottery is largely made in China these days. The whole economy is probably based around civil service non-jobs and farming.

The village in the picture looks like a ruined barn and a few shanties. As one of the above posters said it is probably not worth 30K let alone 300K.

Property prices in France are currently stable or even rising (in Paris). Up 1% in the Rhone Alpes over the last year. Although accurate information is very hard to find. 300K would get you a flat where I live.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2012/02/20/marche-de-l-immobilier

HOLA4418

Very much depends where you live. My parents in law have a 100 m2 flat in Grenoble, they pay 3,500 euros / yr in Tax d'Hab and Taxe foncière which is not completely untypical for towns and cities.

The problem with Limoges is there is no work. Legrand is the biggest employer but apart from them there are very few entreprises with more than 100 staff. Even the pottery is largely made in China these days. The whole economy is probably based around civil service non-jobs and farming.

The village in the picture looks like a ruined barn and a few shanties. As one of the above posters said it is probably not worth 30K let alone 300K.

Property prices in France are currently stable or even rising (in Paris). Up 1% in the Rhone Alpes over the last year. Although accurate information is very hard to find. 300K would get you a flat where I live.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2012/02/20/marche-de-l-immobilier

Ouch. I pay 1000 a year for both combined. But then I live in Brittany and 100k will get you a modern detached house with acreage. Ain't much point in earning more if you have to dish it all out on the mortgage. Much better to earn less and be pay out less, more tax efficient.

Edited by thod

• 3 months later...
HOLA4419