House Price Crash Forum

Bbc: Q & A On Housing Market

HOLA441
HOLA442

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere - it's been a busy day for articles!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14715173

Have to say that the debate today on housing convinces me I will leave the UK. Everyone I've seen speak on this topic today in the media, whether the government or the bbc or whoever, are looking to get back to the point where people can +just+ afford a house if they work their **** off their entire live. Forget that!

HOLA443
HOLA444

back to the point where people can +just+ afford a house if they work their **** off their entire live. Forget that!

A nice crash would make people only buy if it made practical sense rather than profit motive. Any time there is any notable rise in house prices that can be traced to credit or some other pumping they should be smashed down hard. Cheap, safe, warm, reliable, shelter is a basic amenity that from the basic laws of nature should be very affordable for all. If it isn't there's something wrong.

Edited by cica

HOLA445

Have to say that the debate today on housing convinces me I will leave the UK. Everyone I've seen speak on this topic today in the media, whether the government or the bbc or whoever, are looking to get back to the point where people can +just+ afford a house if they work their **** off their entire live. Forget that!

Yep. I have just applied for a role in La Défense, for pretty much this reason. Paris isn`t my dream destination, but we can afford a nice big detached house, with around 800m2 garden, with 30 minutes commute. By comparison, for a similar price, and distance from work in London I would probably get a 2 bed terrace in a shit hole, or a 1-2 bed flat somewhere I would actually want to live (though I wouldn`t actually want to live there, if you see what I mean :)).

I would dearly love to stay in the UK, but it is a huge quality of life compromise versus the rest of europe IMO.

Edit: I thought about it, and I am not sure I would actually.

Edited by the.ciscokid

HOLA446
Meanwhile, the UK population grew by 2.1 million to 61.8 million between 2001 and 2009, driven up by a more births than deaths and more immigration.

Crucially for housing demand, between 2001 and 2010 there was a rise of 1.5 million in the number of households, to 26 million.

So demand for homes, whether owned or rented, has been growing. And that has helped keep prices and rents higher than they would have been otherwise.

Well it would be...if each of the 1.5 million new homes only had one person living in them. FFS - the lack of supply myth is fu cking ingrained in people!!

HOLA447

Well it would be...if each of the 1.5 million new homes only had one person living in them. FFS - the lack of supply myth is fu cking ingrained in people!!

I agree Neo. A stunningly ill-informed deduction by the author of the BBC article. He should hang his head in shame.

Here's some historical data and projections from the official Housing And Planning Statistics 2010 (for England only). With around 2.3 persons per household the obvious conclusion to draw is that we have been building more houses than we need over the past decade.

HouseholdProjections2010.gif

HOLA448

Lets see: 1.5 million divided by ten is 150,000 new households a year. According to the report, the very worst year for building was 134,000 new homes in 2010 - some 90% of what was required that year. Presumably the target of 150,000 was met or exceeded in the other years then?

Shall I tell the NIMBYs or do you want to?

HOLA449

If there really was a housing shortage people would be forced to share bedrooms. They are not.

There is a common sense shortage - not a housing shortage.

* Some areas could of course do with some more housing being built

HOLA4410

If there really was a housing shortage people would be forced to share bedrooms. They are not.

There is a common sense shortage - not a housing shortage.

There certainly is, and it will be 21% worse by 2015!

;)

HOLA4411

I think there is some confusion on this thread about the meaning of "household". It's not a building, it's a family unit. One person living on their own is a household, a twentysomething couple is a household, a nuclear family is a household. It gets a bit confusing though, as if there were ten million properties and twenty million households we would presumably see households being forced to share properties (e.g. two families to a detached house).

Edit: It's been argued that there are a lot of hidden households in the form of 20-30somethings staying with their parents who are counted as part of the family but would rather not be there. I certainly know plenty of these.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4412

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14718843

BBC Property ladder stories.

Do these people have brains? They are stuggling to save any money due to the high cost of living.

Yet it seems they are prepared to take on a huge debt (mortgage). Have they stopped and thought for one minute that the cost of living will continue to rise, What if IR rise? What if one of them looses their job? What about an emergeny fund to cover any repairs to their house? What about having a years mortgage repayment saved incase the sh*t hits the fan?

If they are struggling to have any spare cash now then why the rush to take on a mortgage? And they think, on the back of this, the bank should lend them whatever they ask for!

HOLA4413

There is simply no point in any FTB, engaging with the BBC at all, in a debate about housing.

They are not impartial. They are biased, and have proven this, time and time again..........

I happened to glance at an article the other day by Iam Pillock.

The opening paragraph read..................

House Sales have Fallen so why are House Prices still so high?

It is one of life's great mysteries.....

:lol: Choice Words....

Edit.....Ok having read that, I will begrudgingly admit there is some good stuff in it. Shame it's ten years too late.

Now lets await the next 70 headlines from the BBC, about how all FTB'ers should take up shared ownership.......

Without discussing the fraudulent reasons behind the need for these programme's of severe social inequality.

Why should FTB'ers accept debt which is not ours?

Or the suppression of programs about mortgage fraud. Or not disclosing how many of the thousands of overpaid BBC executives, earning six figures per year. [i use the term earning very loosely indeed]

Bought BTL over the last decade?

F"ck the Beeb.

They always have an angle, and push it hard, whilst denying any agenda exists.

Edited by Milton

HOLA4414

There certainly is, and it will be 21% worse by 2015!

;)

Nah, the predicted winter pandemic will trim the herd somewhat.

Seriously though, for the last X years a disaster scenario has been predicted. As has a housing shortage.

We haven't seen either. So my thoughts are we won't, or if we do the pandemic and the housing shortage will more than cancel each other out.

It's all cr@p doom mongering from bored 'experts'.

On a tangent, the banks calling up stressed mortgage holders is a big hitting topic. Record low interest rates and tens of thousands already contacted about being in distress. That's the true 'hippo in the room', not the waffle about shortages or increasing prices being guessed at.

HOLA4415

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14718843

BBC Property ladder stories.

Do these people have brains? They are stuggling to save any money due to the high cost of living.

Yet it seems they are prepared to take on a huge debt (mortgage). Have they stopped and thought for one minute that the cost of living will continue to rise, What if IR rise? What if one of them looses their job? What about an emergeny fund to cover any repairs to their house? What about having a years mortgage repayment saved incase the sh*t hits the fan?

If they are struggling to have any spare cash now then why the rush to take on a mortgage? And they think, on the back of this, the bank should lend them whatever they ask for!

Pure propaganda from the Beeb. I think they call it 'setting the agenda' in meedja circles.

It's like that episode of Fawlty Towers- 'Whatever you do, don't mention the prices'