Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

You're all very hysterical on here.

I've visited this site since 2004 when I was still at uni and gave up long ago waiting for prices to go down.

It's just not going to happen.

Is it because they fell by up to 20% through 2008 and 2009 and you don't think it will happen again so soon?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/feb/19/house-price-fall-20-per-cent

The cost of the average home fell by up to one-fifth between mid-2008 and the end of 2009 as the credit crunch gripped the mortgage market, but then regained about half of that ground last year, aided by record low interest rates.

Or some other reason you think it can't happen?

No doubt most people who had were holding FTSE stocks when it was around 6000 a month ago didn't think it would be worth around 5000 today .... the smart ones will have seen the possibility of an asset losing value and acting accordingly.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

My favourite site to get reaction on what's happening in the economy.

Fair point.

As for a hpc I partially agree with you in that I don't see prices falling dramatically in Sterling terms without some sort of IR shake-up or currency blow-up. The reason I only partially agree is due to the simple fact that relevant to wages house prices are still way too high. If inflation lets rip wages will need to accelerate faster than house prices to rebalance things via a hpc bypass, otherwise the problem of wages vs. house prices will still exist in the future and we'll still need a bona-fide hpc without all the props and meddling screwing it up.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Don’t let anyone tell you this ugliness in the stock market was unforeseeable.

On June 8, in a financial world otherwise frothing with happy talk, money manager Michael Gayed posted a piece on financial analysis blog, Seeking Alpha, headlined, “The Summer Crash of 2011, Or the Great Re-Adjustment.” Read the whole thing here.

Gayed wondered: If a bull market was truly on, why were defensive sectors — consumer staples, health care and utilities — -outperforming the broader market? Typically, these stocks are where investors run to hide in a recession. Oh, and why were bonds beginning to outperform stocks — -even as the Federal Reserve ended its QE2 bond buying program?

“The bond market is clearly afraid of something,” Gayed wrote. “The stock market has not yet noticed what the bond market is screaming.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/money-managers-called-the-summer-market-plunge-2011-08-10

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

From the BBC:

FEAR RETURNS TO DRIVE DOWN SHARES.

What a stupid headline.

What they mean is they are afraid of loosing money and want it to shoot back up.

That;s not scary, thats funny.

Half an hour a go, that story was the 6th most read on their site. 15 mins ago it was 4th, now it's 3rd...

Wonder it if will replace the riots as the most read?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Although I'm generally not that against public sector pensions, I'd just like to point out that since I have a fairly standard stakeholder pension I'm watching all this with my eyes closed. My pension is now offically worth less than the amount I have paid in over the last 5 years. :(

3% extra of your salary doesn't seem that big a hit now, does it?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425