House Price Crash Forum

Best Of Hugh Hendry

exiges

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Mods move to a better place if you like, but I found this amusing.. seems he was right on many things

Hugh Hendry has been wrong about gold for some time now, like realistbear. Liam Halligans views have proven to be more accurate.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Hugh Hendry has been wrong about gold for some time now, like realistbear. Liam Halligans views have proven to be more accurate.

and right on practically everything else. I should know I have loads of dosh in his funds.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Looking at their prospectuseseseses their funds don't appear to have performed that well

http://www.eclectica-am.com/fundlist.aspx?target=fundlist

The Eclectica Fund went up 40% in Oct 08 alone. Its all about capital preservation in the intermediate term. In wealth management one does not care aboput what others are doing. One cares about what one's own wealth is doing.

You chase the markets. Me, I'll do something different.

HOLA449

The Eclectica Fund went up 40% in Oct 08 alone. Its all about capital preservation in the intermediate term. In wealth management one does not care aboput what others are doing. One cares about what one's own wealth is doing.

there seems to be alot on this site that are only interested in making money and if they dont its someone elses fault, the govt/manipulation/mary poppins, take your pick, personally i think youre quite correct, if people can get out of this decade with what they went into it with they'll in hindsight i think be more than happy and amongst a very small minority, its not really the right time in history to go skyreaching if you dont need to

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

HOLA4410

i rate him and his approach, but his fees are very high (at least for mass availability funds), is there a way to get discounted fees on his funds?

HOLA4411

The Eclectica Fund went up 40% in Oct 08 alone. Its all about capital preservation in the intermediate term.

The unauthorised fund ? There are no stats available to the public for that, but being profitable in a single year isn't enough, any fool can get lucky, what about the 3yrs since 2008 for that fund ?

The three authorised funds are:

+1% over 3yrs

+11% over 5yrs

+5% over 1yr

You would have made significantly more than that buying a standard FTSE100 ETF

HOLA4412

The unauthorised fund ? There are no stats available to the public for that, but being profitable in a single year isn't enough, any fool can get lucky, what about the 3yrs since 2008 for that fund ?

+1% over 3yrs

+11% over 5yrs

+5% over 1yr

1_summary.png

That's the hedge fund performance. The blue line is his fund, the red line is his benchmark, in this case, the MCSI World Index. He is on record himself as saying that while he believes in the long-term future of things like agriculture, he thinks his hedge fund is the place to be right now.

hth

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

1_summary.png

Excluding that anomalous blip it doesn't appear any better than the other line. As I mentioned their other 3 funds are distinctly lack lustre, and certainly not convincing compared to other funds out there.

The best way to make money out of funds like this is to be the fund manager.

Edited by exiges

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

+1% over 3yrs

+11% over 5yrs

+5% over 1yr

Yes, and as I say wealth management is not about the short term of 3 years. Note, he didn't lose money in 2008.

HOLA4417

Yes, and as I say wealth management is not about the short term of 3 years.

I agree and I've yet to see any mid term or long term figures showing that his funds have performed better than buying high yield FTSE shares. Saying that he did well in a single year undermines your argument to value long term results

HOLA4418

I agree and I've yet to see any mid term or long term figures showing that his funds have performed better than buying high yield FTSE shares. Saying that he did well in a single year undermines your argument to value long term results

You are assuming the FTSE can only go up medium long term... I prefer to preserve capital for the forseeable future rather than chase the FTSE

HOLA4419

Excluding that anomalous blip it doesn't appear any better than the other line. As I mentioned their other 3 funds are distinctly lack lustre, and certainly not convincing compared to other funds out there.

The best way to make money out of funds like this is to be the fund manager.

Just had a look at the staff http://www.eclectica-am.com/template.aspx?target=people

The head of equity research has a degree in classics and the head of macro research used to be a premiership footballer.

HOLA4420

Just had a look at the staff http://www.eclectica...x?target=people

The head of equity research has a degree in classics and the head of macro research used to be a premiership footballer.

Eminently over qualified to stick a pin in the FT share page blindfold every day. Which I've no doubt is what they do and charge a fortune for it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

You are assuming the FTSE can only go up medium long term...

I make no such assumptions. I was just comparing a relatively straightforward investment that requires no thought (investing in high yield FTSE) with the so called experts and found the experts results distinctly lacking. Other than doing well in one year for one fund you've not proven me wrong,

HOLA4423