House Price Crash Forum

Council Madness?

HOLA441
http://www.jobsgopublic.com/jobs/estate-officer-01059/from/ysb5zvlipqch0/71/of/1029/opening_at/desc

Employer: Oxford City Council

Reference: 01059

Closing date:Tue 14/06/2011 16:30 PM

Full Time, Permanent, Hours:37

Salary:£18,453 with possible progression up to £20,858

Main Duties and Responsibilities:

Provide caretaking and cleaning services to the communal areas of flats and maisonettes for the residents of these blocks

Provide emergency cleaning/caretaking services

Ensure that communal areas are clean and safe

Essential/Desirable Criteria:

Work with limited supervision

Ability to work out of hours on a rota basis

Clean valid UK Driving Licence

Key Desirable Criteria

Possession of a recognised cleaning qualification

Previous experience in a similar post

I'm sorry a recognised cleaning qualification? :blink:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

More than Manchester pay. (Mind you they're getting rid of most of theirs)

NVQ in dusting?

NVQ in using a floor polishing machine?

NVQ in mopping.

Cleaning qualifications

CLEANING

Subject-specific publications

Assessor's Guidelines for the SVQs in Cleaning and Support Services at levels 1 and 2

Booklet containing suggested ways to assess the SVQ with practical examples.

£20.00, DB1265, February 2002

CARs/portfolios

Cleaning and Support Services 1

G5WY 21

Portfolio.

£20.00 with ringbinder, £12.00 without, Z0086

Cleaning and Support Services 2 (Building Interiors)

G5X0 22

Portfolio.

Free of charge with Mandatory Units

Cleaning and Support Services 2 (Caretaking)

G5X6 22

Portfolio.

Cleaning and Support Services 2 (Carpets)

G4X7 22

Portfolio.

Cleaning and Support Services 2 (Food Premises)

G5X8 22

Portfolio.

Cleaning and Support Services 2 (General)

Various

Portfolio.

£20.00 with ringbinder, £12.00 without, Z00130

Cleaning and Support Services 2 (Highways and Land)

G5X5 22

Portfolio.

Cleaning and Support Services 2 (Mandatory Units)

Various.

Portfolio.

£20.00 with ringbinder, £12.00 without, Z0087

Cleaning and Support Services 2 (Passenger Transport Vehicles)

G5XA 22

Portfolio.

Cleaning and Support Services 2 (Windows)

G5X9 22

Portfolio.

HOLA447

At least there is a coherent job description. And it would be easy to check quality of work and get rid of the cleaner if the work is not done.

Meanwhile, we in Herefordshire are soon to enjoy the services of someone who can not only understand the jargon, but carry out the following:

The Shared Services Partnership Ltd

Managing Director

£six figure package

Building on our commitment to partnership working and strong track record for innovation and creativity, Herefordshire is again at the forefront of new service delivery. Herefordshire’s public services have established a new joint venture company to run and share key corporate functions across Herefordshire Council, NHS Herefordshire and Wye Valley NHS Trust. This is a public services partnership between the three organisations, charged with helping the partners to deliver ambitious savings targets.

As Managing Director you will spearhead the development and transformation of the new Company; leading the creation of a dynamic and developing organisation which will deliver high quality and customer focussed strategic, advisory and transactional services. Traditional ‘back-office’ delivered in a thoroughly modern manner as a strategic partner. Efficient and cost effective services which will enable the partners to be better able to meet the needs of the communities they serve. As the new Company develops so will your chance to grow its trading activities which will demand entrepreneurial zeal and real commercial nous.

You will bring a sound understanding of public services and experience of successful shared services delivery. This will be underpinned by a commercial mindset and track record of developing new services and markets. You will have a positive attitude to managing risk and display real tenacity and enthusiasm to ensure we deliver our vision.

Closing date: 3rd June 2011.

And no, this isn't a training course warm up exercise where you highlight the meaningless buzz words.

Meanwhile; Childrens Centres lose their managers, schools face cuts etc etc.

Grumble, grumble,

Y.

HOLA448

At least there is a coherent job description. And it would be easy to check quality of work and get rid of the cleaner if the work is not done.

Meanwhile, we in Herefordshire are soon to enjoy the services of someone who can not only understand the jargon, but carry out the following:

And no, this isn't a training course warm up exercise where you highlight the meaningless buzz words.

Grumble, grumble,

Y.

oh dear, the Research councils in Swindon set a 'Shared Services Centre' in the same vein as the one in the advert above. Classic Public sector madness, trumpeted as a money-saving triumph, but is pisspoor, staff indignant, costs more than before (natch..). Expect similar 'results' down your way.

HOLA449

Actually, I can see more validity in this than many Equality & Diversity posts. I wouldn't necessarily know how to deal safely with discarded syringes, or what consituted an acceptable level of cleaning-up after vomit, dog-shit etc especially if there are youg children or frail elderly about. Also, some of the cleaning products on the market are pretty lethal - caustic soda, or Spirits of Salts (32% Hydrochloric acid) for example; and some of them should definitely not be used in combination or after each other.

Edited by cartimandua51

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

will have a positive attitude to managing risk...

I think that means puting all the Council Tax monies in a dodgy Icesave account.

HOLA4412

Not only is such a qualification desirable, I would have thought it was essential. Apart from helping to ensure that the post holder can properly perform the duties required "with limited supervision", there are many health and safety risks to consider. This job's performed in a public area. Cleaning involves stretching power cables across the top of stairs, wetting floors, and using a variety of dangerous chemicals. Many people have little or no idea about the correct use of cleaning solvents...

'Fuel for blowing up house':

http://www.thesun.co...rticle57886.ece

DAFT Ron Cox blew up his semi as he scrubbed his kitchen floor with a cleaning fluid called Cillit BANG mixed with PETROL.

Fumes from the pensioner's deadly mix were ignited by the boiler in his living room.

The blast blew out the BAY WINDOW and wrecked CEILINGS and WALLS.

Partially deaf Ron, 75, didn't even realise the damage he'd caused until he wandered into the lounge and found it destroyed.

He had been using Cillit Bang to get glue off his kitchen floor tiles.

But he found it such hard work he foolishly thought petrol would help.

Ron was still scrubbing as the fumes wafted through and exploded as they came into contact with the pilot light on the gas boiler.

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I've cleaned with petrol and use parafin to clean my chain.

Petrol is an incredibly powerful solvent for stripping spray paint off smooth surfaces. When kiddies hammerite their bikes to make them look cool sometimes the bits end up in my hands. Just soak it in a bath of petrol in a cool place next day all the non petrol resistant paint has bled off.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Part of Labour's big control freak mentality was the creation of NVQs, and resulting very well paid NVQ assessor jobs, which I hope that the Tories will now scrap.

NVQs were brought in by the Conservatives in the 1980s. The last Labour government initiated their replacement with QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework) awards, certificates and diplomas.

'NVQs - national vocational qualifications':

http://www.businessballs.com/nvqs_national_vocational_qualifications.htm

NVQs in the UK are now progressively being replaced with QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework) awards, certificates and diplomas. As at 2010 this transition is in progress.

[...snip...]

NVQs - National Vocational Qualifications - are a very significant part of the UK training and development landscape. Introduced first in 1986 by the specially formed National Council for Vocational Qualifications, NVQs have enabled millions of people of all ages in almost all imaginable trades and professions to achieve formal qualifications.

HOLA4419
Guest eight

Y.

Interesting you should pick that, of all things. Close to the coal face are you, so to speak?

eight

HOLA4420

Not only is such a qualification desirable, I would have thought it was essential. Apart from helping to ensure that the post holder can properly perform the duties required "with limited supervision", there are many health and safety risks to consider. This job's performed in a public area. Cleaning involves stretching power cables across the top of stairs, wetting floors, and using a variety of dangerous chemicals. Many people have little or no idea about the correct use of cleaning solvents...

that's not really the point is it.

the point is this is a low paid, 'menial' job of the type that someone with low level skills and no qualifications should be applying for but because of a bar in terms of a qualification, it serves only to increase the length of the dole queue with the largest number long term unemployed ever recorded in this country.

every time a job gets advertised with this type of bar, you can add more to the taxpayers bill as its one more person who will stay on benefits as a result.

Edited by Milkshock

HOLA4421

Part of Labour's big control freak mentality was the creation of NVQs, and resulting very well paid NVQ assessor jobs, which I hope that the Tories will now scrap.

Former colleague of mine had a Customer Care NVQ. It was a joke. Of all the front-line people I've worked with in that job she was probably the least customer-friendly of the lot. Often unhelpful, jobsworth-y, obsessed with petty rules that most of us would use our discretion over.

Sometimes the way she'd treat people would make me cringe, and if there was anyone even slightly awkard you could almost guarantee she'd inflame the situation rather than calm it down.

There's only one 'rule' for 'Customer Care' - do as you would be done by.

HOLA4422

I would say that common sense, plus either experience or the ability to read safety instructions on a bottle were essential, not a qualification.

The idea that the only way you can get this knowledge is by getting a formal qualification in it is a bit of an insult to all the people who've been cleaning perfectly safely for years without one.

And you can pass the exam but still be lacking in common sense in which case you'd be less safe than the person with their head screwed on who hasn't taken it at all.

HOLA4423

I would say that common sense, plus either experience or the ability to read safety instructions on a bottle were essential, not a qualification.

The idea that the only way you can get this knowledge is by getting a formal qualification in it is a bit of an insult to all the people who've been cleaning perfectly safely for years without one.

And you can pass the exam but still be lacking in common sense in which case you'd be less safe than the person with their head screwed on who hasn't taken it at all.

exactly. the type of people who contribute to this forum and who can see the value in such a qualification would also be the same kind of people who never in a million years apply for this type of job.

why keep those out of work, continually out of work, by barring them for the lowest grade job possible?

Edited by Milkshock

HOLA4424

Interesting you should pick that, of all things. Close to the coal face are you, so to speak?

eight

Not that particular coal face - but I know some who are- and my own job (in the public sector) isn't threatened. But it angers me that the impression is given that front line services will be protected - and back office will be cut. It is the senior back office people that decide.

We do have a particular problem with troughers out here in the sticks away from the prying eyes of investigative journalists. Our council chief exec allegedly gets paid more (per resident) than any other . Here is an interesting story that our local press forgot to highlight just before the general election - essentially:

A guy in Leominster got nominated for the town council (parish) election. As an independent angry at Bill Wiggin's (N Herefordshire, Con) expenses scandal. He put the Telegraph details in his leaflets. Wiggin contacted the council chief exec who is the returning officer. The (conservative) leader and deputy leader of the county council also approached the chief exec. He disqualified the independent candidate on a technicality leaving just a conservative candidate to win unopposed.

The independent candidate took it to the high court and won. The chief executive has sailed on serenely drawing his large salary despite having acted illegally, cost the council a lot of money and interefered with democracy. His name is Bull.

Still grumbling

Y

HOLA4425

There's only one 'rule' for 'Customer Care' - do as you would be done by.

Oh yeah, I've had that person twice this month.

"Yes sir, sorry for your problem, we can put that right. Unfortunately there is some problem or other and I can't do it right now, but I'll give you a call back when it's done" (hands over phone number, end of call).

Did I get a call-back - like ****. Was the problem fixed? I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader

tim