House Price Crash Forum

Woman Accused Of Stealing £6.99 Bag Of King Prawns

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I wonder if she waited till the prawns were BOGOF?

I thought supermarket prawns were always 'bog of'...

'Poison peril of mucky prawns':

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3353263/Sewage-and-pesticide-danger-from-prawns-sold-in-UK-says-TV-docu.html

PRAWNS sold in Britain are pumped with a banned pesticide while being farmed in waters containing sewage, a shock TV investigation will claim tonight.

HOLA445
HOLA446

It is a point of principle thing.

Whilst on paper it costs a lot more for law and order to deal with it, if they dont, then it is a big green flag to others who might take a bit more than they pay for. If that happens, then the true cost of not doing this now and again on that principle, becomes apparent. It isnt just the price of the prawns.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Whilst on paper it costs a lot more for law and order to deal with it, if they dont, then it is a big green flag to others who might take a bit more than they pay for. If that happens, then the true cost of not doing this now and again on that principle, becomes apparent. It isnt just the price of the prawns.

This theory only works if the prosecution serves as a deterrent. Judging from the scale of the 'shrinkage' that retailers constantly suffer it is doubtful if it does

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The police should hacve been allowed to give her a good hiding then let her go, if she did it again, another hiding this time do her husband too. This country is being run for bankers, lawyers and politicians. Time this was changed before the 60million get really really annoyed.

HOLA4412

This theory only works if the prosecution serves as a deterrent. Judging from the scale of the 'shrinkage' that retailers constantly suffer it is doubtful if it does

Yes,

they dont seem to follow through properly on this sort of stuff.

I often wonder why more stores dont do something like Argos, where all the stock is behind the counter.

A better way would be some sort of retina ID system like on Minority report, which allows you to identify and stop known pilferers. Shame we dont have that technology yet, it would save us a fortune.

HOLA4413

Spot fine would've been more cost effective!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The details are rather scant in this case.

It appears there was no evidence ( Habeus Prawnus) so curious why it was pushed.

I was accused of stealing once in Asda . . . I was told by another shopper, but they never produced the informant. After voicing my indignation to store security, calling the manager and making a 'scene' at check-out, they gave me £50 voucher.

It's possible store security is outsourced, so the firm will want to make a number of 'arrests' to justify their fees.

HOLA4416

Tip - only buy Greenland, Icelandic prawns, then Norwegian in winter.

Let me know when a cheap portable DNA testing kit becomes available so I can check their provenance.

...DNA tests revealed almost a fifth of Tesco's "responsibly sourced" cod from the "Pacific" were caught in the Atlantic, where stocks are endangered. Tesco blamed "incorrect information by our supplier".

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
...DNA tests revealed almost a fifth of Tesco's "responsibly sourced" cod from the "Pacific" were caught in the Atlantic, where stocks are endangered. Tesco blamed "incorrect information by our supplier".

Let me know when a cheap portable DNA testing kit becomes available so I can check their provenance.

Since Fukushima, I think any reference to the Pacific will soon disappear from packaging.

'Atlantic Prawns' will become the thing to nick.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

If you nick a bag of prawns that costs £6.99 when they are on a BOGOF offer does that mean you should only be charged with stealing something worth £3.49 and a half pence?

No, because you only nicked one bag. But if you nick two you still only get charged with nicking £6.99. Stands to reason?

HOLA4422

If you nick a bag of prawns that costs £6.99 when they are on a BOGOF offer does that mean you should only be charged with stealing something worth £3.49 and a half pence?

You could claim you were collecting the prawns for someone who forgot to take their free bag. The supermarket would be certain to have at least one transaction where someone bought a single bag and didn't notice the offer.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

So the correct policy is to nick one and pay for one and immediately get a refund on the paid for bag? ;)

No, the correct policy when shoplifting is to buy one legit and keep the receipt then nick loads more one at a time and just show the receipt if challenged. When you got enough return one of them for a refund.

Sadly our criminal classes are so dumbed down these days they can't figure this out.