House Price Crash Forum

Snp Takes Scotland And What Is The First Thing Salmond Wants To Do?

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

I believe at the start of his speech I heard "borrowing powers to aid the construction industry" ? At that point I mentally switched off. All politics in the UK at the moment is Farce with elements of Panto. Salmond would make a pretty good panto dame IMO, and that will be good on the CV after he presides over the biggest property and economic crash in Scottish living memory.

Edited by dances with sheeple

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I believe at the start of his speech I heard "borrowing powers to aid the construction industry" ? At that point I mentally switched off. All politics in the UK at the moment is Farce with elements of Panto. Salmond would make a pretty good panto dame IMO, and that will be good on the CV after he presides over the biggest property and economic crash in Scottish living memory.

I do wonder, if Scotland does happen to pass a referendum on independence (don't be so shocked that it might not be on the ballot in a year), what will happen to property prices there.

I think the people who post on this site, are "blissfully" unaware of how many progressive, intellectual fellow Brits are looking on to Scotland with envy. Don't be so sure that everyone relishes the idea of decades of English Tory control.

In fact it might result in a great migration north to Scotland, and a brain drain of England...

HOLA443

I do wonder, if Scotland does happen to pass a referendum on independence (don't be so shocked that it might not be on the ballot in a year), what will happen to property prices there.

I think the people who post on this site, are "blissfully" unaware of how many progressive, intellectual fellow Brits are looking on to Scotland with envy. Don't be so sure that everyone relishes the idea of decades of English Tory control.

In fact it might result in a great migration north to Scotland, and a brain drain of England...

Are you testing your routine for the next Edinburgh Fringe out on us?

HOLA444

You know I originally came to this site clearly just to discuss property trends in the UK.

As an American I really never knew there were just as many right wing nutty English people as we have in the US.

I guess I have just never lived in your midst. BTW, where do you all live? I certainly have never come across any of you lot living in Central London.

HOLA445

You know I originally came to this site clearly just to discuss property trends in the UK.

As an American I really never knew there were just as many right wing nutty English people as we have in the US.

I guess I have just never lived in your midst. BTW, where do you all live? I certainly have never come across any of you lot living in Central London.

You would not. London is an immigrant ghetto.

We all live in the shires. The lefty progressives you like all live in Tuscany.

HOLA446

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/may/06/scottish-elections-salmond-historic-victory-snp

He's a true politician the people have entrusted him to increase the national debt of Scotland.... No sooner than the votes have been counted he's talking about spending money he hasn't got.

How would you suggest they increase their money supply without getting into debt under the current monetary system?

HOLA447

Just wait until you meet the nutty left wing lot, they are twice as bad.

Also is it just me, or is the word "progressive" starting to irritate. Whenever I hear a politician say it I can almost feel more of my hard earned cash evaporating from my wallet to keep the long term unemployed fed and watered.

HOLA448

Case closed on geordie intelligence I'd say, that proves it, no way would Londoners for example act in such a thick as pig shit manner....

IKEA riot

Say it aint so ubermensch Southerners nearly crush each other to death over the opening of an IKEA store.

Newcastle has more in common with Edinburgh than London so I'd much rather we threw our lot in with Scotland if they break away. Your a prime example of why I'd like to see it happen. Just another arrogant, ignorant southern pr1ck who fails to see that other peoples and parts of the country are equally valid.

heh heh heh I see you didn't take the hint about not getting rid of me, then again you are a geordie so not the quickest on the uptake...

I'm from the country inbetween England and Scotland hinny... ich bin ein Borderer baby

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Oh dear, it looks like the union is well and truly f****d :-

http://www.dailymail...n.html?ITO=1490

ah ha hahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahaha hahaha ha ha ha :lol:

Even the the tardy Jocks have figured out that ZANU have done ferk all for Scotland over 50 years and they're falling further behind England.

Even the heartlands of Glasgow have gone over from Labour to the SNP. (I admit just a shade of bias in this post of course!).

Edited by ZeroSumGame

HOLA4411

heh heh heh I see you didn't take the hint about not getting rid of me, then again you are a geordie so not the quickest on the uptake...

I'm from the country inbetween England and Scotland hinny... ich bin ein Borderer baby

Sorry to break it to you but most outside the region would say you were a geordie. Hence I'm doubly confused by your blanket generalisations. Are you thick ? Your family etc.. because they were born in a certain area ? I get narked by this sort of thing because it's basically racism. If I exchanged the word Africans or Aborigines for your statement you might get the point.

For the record I'm from a small place somewhere between Morpeth and Alnwick with a suitably border reiver clan name. However If anyone outside of Northumberland asks me then I tell them I'm a geordie or else I'll be met with blank looks.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Well it didn't take long for Cameron to concede to the only leader in the country who has a majority parliament.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cameron-offers-major-concessions-to-salmond-2280807.html

mel, thanks for being a great supporter of Scotland in the face of extreme prejudice. However, I must admit I cringed when I heard that Salmond wanted to borrow more money. I hope he knows what he's doing!

Edited by guitarman001

HOLA4417

mel, thanks for being a great supporter of Scotland in the face of extreme prejudice. However, I must admit I cringed when I heard that Salmond wanted to borrow more money. I hope he knows what he's doing!

He does, he knows exactly what he is doing. He is gaining support for independence on the south side of the border.

....and it isnt prejudice, just resentment and being milked to fund someone else having things that we wont be given.

Edited by Number79

HOLA4418

I don't see the same level of aggression when we talk about the money given to India etc..

I can understand the resentment, but it seems some take it a bit too personally. If there is a vote that YOU can take part in, then by all accounts vote according to your inclinations, but please chuck the hatred in the bin after the vote.

EDIT - I don't think some of the things we get for free will be made available down south post-independence. It just means we wont get them! Uni education... as said before, there are far fewer unis up here so PERHAPS we might get away with being able to afford it. The unis ARE very good with plenty of foreigners in attendance. Certainly I would hope so, in any case.

Edited by guitarman001

HOLA4419

ah ha hahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahaha hahaha ha ha ha :lol:

Even the the tardy Jocks have figured out that ZANU have done ferk all for Scotland over 50 years and they're falling further behind England.

Even the heartlands of Glasgow have gone over from Labour to the SNP. (I admit just a shade of bias in this post of course!).

If there is substance to this newspaper report, it demonstrates just how out of touch Miliband is in both a Scottish and UK context, and he still does not get it!

He did not assist the Scottish Labour Party one iota when he visited Scotland during the election campaign, in fact his comments were so party centric, they were detrimental.

This guy is just not listening and he hopes in time to re-write history and con the UK electorate into another 5 years of Labour.

HOLA4420

I don't see the same level of aggression when we talk about the money given to India etc..

I can understand the resentment, but it seems some take it a bit too personally. If there is a vote that YOU can take part in, then by all accounts vote according to your inclinations, but please chuck the hatred in the bin after the vote.

EDIT - I don't think some of the things we get for free will be made available down south post-independence. It just means we wont get them! Uni education... as said before, there are far fewer unis up here so PERHAPS we might get away with being able to afford it. The unis ARE very good with plenty of foreigners in attendance. Certainly I would hope so, in any case.

I think you're taking this thread too personally. Scottish independence will come by two forces : a pull from Scotland and a push from England. The UK is in dire economic straits yet some people fail to look a wee bit closer to home when giving advice. From memory the only thing that held Scotland back was the Scottish Labour party - they became useless by ~40 years ago. Needless to say Thatcher wasting the oil revenues was of little use to either England or Scotland.

But the next crisis will be an energy one. North of Scotland Hydro electric anyone?

HOLA4421

I note it is a 'loan from the Treasury' - so they're not even going to borrow additional sums from the international markets (by the way that is the way Argentina blew up - regional authorities were borrowing on their own account).

Not sure what Salmond has to pay the money back with - they don't have any tax raising powers (yet). So basically it would just be netted off their annual settlement? Would there be any intention to pay it back or would they just let it grow every year?

I made the mistake of mentioning Argentina yesterday but got called a "random internet bigot".

Maybe he intends to pay the loan back out of the revenue collected from a duty on exports to England :)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I note it is a 'loan from the Treasury' - so they're not even going to borrow additional sums from the international markets (by the way that is the way Argentina blew up - regional authorities were borrowing on their own account).

Not sure what Salmond has to pay the money back with - they don't have any tax raising powers (yet). So basically it would just be netted off their annual settlement? Would there be any intention to pay it back or would they just let it grow every year?

They did have tax varying powers to increase or decrease income tax by 3p. The Scottish Govt could not be bothered to pay for the collecting agency to keep the computers updated. So I suppose now they will require a massive brand spanking new IT system for this borrowing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11792876

Edited by ralphmalph

HOLA4424

It seems to me if Scotland had more direct control over North Sea oil revenue, it would put them in a much better place financially.

Didn't Osborne just raise tax revenue on North Sea oil from 20% to 34%? I can't imagine the knock on effect this is going to have on the economy of Aberdeen and the North East of Scotland. Just another reason, for Scotland to go it alone.

Yes guitarman, I do support an independent Scotland. I am just glad that I will be on that side of the border when it does happen (which I do believe it will).

But putting this into context of house prices, do you think it will cause them to move up or down? I suspect it may depend on how many other Brits would prefer to migrate North...

HOLA4425

It seems to me if Scotland had more direct control over North Sea oil revenue, it would put them in a much better place financially.

Didn't Osborne just raise tax revenue on North Sea oil from 20% to 34%? I can't imagine the knock on effect this is going to have on the economy of Aberdeen and the North East of Scotland. Just another reason, for Scotland to go it alone.

Yes guitarman, I do support an independent Scotland. I am just glad that I will be on that side of the border when it does happen (which I do believe it will).

But putting this into context of house prices, do you think it will cause them to move up or down? I suspect it may depend on how many other Brits would prefer to migrate North...

i reckon house prices will shoot up as there will be apopulation reversal with 50m Canny Englanders moving north of the border in the black gold rush leaving about 10m in the rest of the UK. Of course this will naturally decimate prices in England*

*Except for Maidstone

Edited by georgia o'keeffe