House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Oddbins Going Into Admin

Ahhh great! an administration - let the puns begin; /\ drat - beaten to it, let the puns continue!

Beer today, gone tomorrow ?

Edited by Reck B

Oh no!

The one and only off-license chain worth preserving ... :o:(:unsure:

+1

How have the others survived and Oddbins failed?

I guess the wine enthusiasts who previously shopped there shop on the internet now.

Anecdotal from Brussels. Someone called me today and gave me an update on the commercial real estate market.

Many shops are closing. That person managed to speak to a few people running those shops as they were preparing to close and the reason given was not that business was bad. The reason was that landlords kept raising rents to the point where it wasn't worthwhile carrying on.

Landlords keep trying to extract an ever higher rent from the economy. I think the impact on the supply / demand equilibrium will be felt for a very long time.

Edited by _w_

+1

How have the others survived and Oddbins failed?

I guess the wine enthusiasts who previously shopped there shop on the internet now.

yep

Oddbins was always a premium hippy brand, Laithwaites do same quality for half the price

Things were already tough until previous owner of Oddbins (Castel - french) cherry picked over 50 of the best locations and turned them into upmarket Nicholas.

Its a shame, because in their day they bought something new.

they never rose to the occasion, remained in the red, still, the bankers are not whiter than white.

yep

Oddbins was always a premium hippy brand, Laithwaites do same quality for half the price

Laithwaites are v good but Oddbins was a bit different in terms of what they did. That said, they have lost their difference over recent years - not enough natural wine, not individual enough to stand out. THey could've become champions of small independent producers who gave a stuff about tradition and the environment, but what happened is they started copying their rivals - Majestic, Laithwaites, etc.

That's what happens when you suffer poor leadership and the lack of any defining philosophy.

Very sad news for me, though welcome timing (as explained above.

Edited by gruffydd