House Price Crash Forum

FUKUSHIMA earthquake and tsunami thread and aftermath

geezer466

HOLA441

The explosion was quite deliberate as a means of releasing pressure, so the Japanese newsreader says.

You believe everything you hear on telly?

This is the same Japanese media that had someone making kiddy kaboom sound effects over the top of the pictures.

Quite frankly, we are unlikely to know what happened for some time. Most of what we are getting now is filler, PR and BS.

Edited by Tiger Woods?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The thick as pig shit people cited in the article that is posted above may be extremists, even if true. IMO, it looks like rabid anti-American propaganda.

AFAIK you lived only on the coast RB. I spent 20 years in the flyover states and those people aren't in anyway extremists. Half the people in the US believe there is a god who is actually on america's side and that satan and hell really exist.

Much is made of americans donations, but a lot of the money raised is under the pretext of converting heathens in places like Africa, stopping the use of condoms and preaching abstinence instead, and setting up creationist educational institutions.

HOLA443

Yeah--the US should not have prevented Japan from invading Korea, Burma, China--and that was before they took out Pearl Harbour. The policy of the "Rising Sun" was for Japan to take over most of SE Asia to control world trade and the US got in their way.

Just think, if the US had not invaded the French in 1944 the Germans would still be free. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

it is a little 9/11 but there are theories which do not look so daft when you read into them that suggest that the US were aware of the coming invasion of PH. It is suggested that they were warned by Churchill having been spotted and observed. It was after all PH that finally caused the states to enter the war, maybe tptb let the attack happen to turn public opinion to back US involvement.

I did read something else, that we knew the invasion fleet was on the way but didnt warn the US because the attck would bring america into the war with public support but that was pretty flimsy iirc.

edit - just having a quick look for something before you start shouting BS, I didnt realise that there have been at least 10 inquiries into PH so it isnt such a fringe theory after all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Harbor_advance-knowledge_conspiracy_theory

Edited by richyc

HOLA444

Possibly still contained. I hope so.

Again, Reuters:

Japan's nuclear safety agency says Caesium radiation suggests fuel has melted in Fukushima Daiichi reactor No. 1by Aviva West at 3/12/2011 9:44:25 PM9:44 PM

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) said Saturday afternoon the explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant could only have been caused by a meltdown of the reactor core. link

Don't worry I recomend strong vigilance

HOLA445

The explosion was quite deliberate as a means of releasing pressure, so the Japanese newsreader says.

Taking into account the excellent summary from ImA20SomethingGetMeOutOfHere I can see how the newsreader could say this. The top of the building is designed to be deliberately weak with blow out panels to alleviate the effect of an explosion. Hence the powerful upward effect of the explosion. It is a small step for the utterly clueless and technically illiterate media to say the explosion was deliberate when what they've actually been told is that the way the explosion damage was mitigated was deliberate .

Edited by AnotherSTR

HOLA446

Action speaks louder and I suspect the US will spend more helping Japan recover than we do.

...but will that be out of the goodness of their hearts or because they know that Japan, as the third largest holder of US debt will have to sell billions of $ to fund a rebuild?

I wonder what china will do with their vast amounts of $ if the japanese start selling off billions.

HOLA447

ImA20SomethingGetMeOutOfHere, excellent writeup.

I still can't get over the fact that ancilliary power was so easily knocked out - if htere is one thing you need it is keeping the water pumping round, for that you need power and if the reactor is hit by a plane/earthquake/exposion - whatever happens and utterly reliable power source has got to be top of the list in any disaster situation.

The latest generation of PWRs, like the Westinghouse AP1000, employ passive safety systems which achieve post-trip cooling by natural convection, without the use of pumps or driven plant.

HOLA448

The thick as pig shit people cited in the article that is posted above may be extremists, even if true. IMO, it looks like rabid anti-American propaganda.

I am not so sure the Chinese are that kind--they like to kill their own with Mao being the greatest mass murder of all time. THe Iranians are wonderful people but the fanatics that exploit them are not. Armourdinnerjacket and his ilk rule because they deflect attention form their own exploitation of the masses to the US who are portrayed as buying all their oil from them.

Had the US not Nuked the Japs at the end of WW2 the war would have lasted another couple of years with 10 to 20 times the body count. Even the Japs acknowledge that much.

I heard that the surrender had been signed, but was deliberately delayed in transit so they could test the nuke? is that just conspiracy nonsense? The book "Dreamland Chronicles" implies aliens are involved in all the US military research, a big joint is recommeded while reading :unsure:

HOLA449

Taking into account the excellent summary from ImA20SomethingGetMeOutOfHere I can see how the newsreader could say this. The top of the building is designed to be deliberately weak with blow out panels to alleviate the effect of an explosion. Hence the powerful upward effect of the explosion. It is a small step for the utterly clueless and technically illiterate media to say the explosion was deliberate when what they've actually been told is that the effect of the explosion was mitigated in a planned way.

Sure. It may very well be true.

My point is that there is no point using anything said by the talking heads as a basis for one's arguments. In a few months time, we will know what happened (perhaps).

Not so many years ago, BBC reporters seemed to think a skyscraper had fallen down, when in actual fact it was standing right behind them for another 20 minutes. :lol:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I heard that the surrender had been signed, but was deliberately delayed in transit so they could test the nuke? is that just conspiracy nonsense?

we will never know about that.

What we do know is that those bombs did not need to be dropped and worse than that we know that it was known at the time.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

So they are fushing number 1 reactor over with sea water, now is the sea water been recycled or is it been flushed into the sea?

I think at the moment it's just sitting in the bottom of the reactor compartment. It may be pumped out into the sea at some point but as long as there is no damage to the core this should not entail a significant release of radioactive material.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

we will never know about that.

What we do know is that those bombs did not need to be dropped and worse than that we know that it was known at the time.

I don't see how you can say that with any certainly at all.

Any peace feelers the Japanese were sending out at the time were mixed, half measures and were not from a unified Japanese authority.

Only those with access to ULTRA knew the full picture, which even Nimitz and MacArthur didn't have full access to. The diplomatic feelers in many cases were clearly attempts to buy time, such as trying to use the Soviet Union as an intermediate.

I'm afraid to say it wasn't until both the intervention of the Soviet Union and the dropping of the bombs that finally forced the intervention of of the Emperor himself to force the final decision to unconditional surrender.

Those are the facts, anything else is mere conjecture.

Edited by sundance_kid

HOLA4417

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/japan-quake-nuclear-cooling-idUSLHE7EB02D20110312

The emergency cooling system is no longer functioning at the No.3 reactor at Tokyo Electric Power Co's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power facility

Could well be that they've run out of cooling water. They can pump in seawater to keep it going though.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I don't see how you can say that with any certainly at all.

Any peace feelers the Japanese were sending out at the time were mixed, half measures and were not from a unified Japanese authority.

Only those with access to ULTRA knew the full picture, which even Nimitz and MacArthur didn't have full access to. The diplomatic feelers in many cases were clearly attempts to buy time, such as trying to use the Soviet Union as an intermediate.

I'm afraid to say it wasn't until both the intervention of the Soviet Union and the dropping of the bombs that finally forced the intervention of of the Emperor himself to force the final decision to unconditional surrender.

Those are the facts, anything else is mere conjecture.

They could have dropped the bombs in the ocean and it'd have had the same effect as far as surrender is concerned.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

They could have dropped the bombs in the ocean and it'd have had the same effect as far as surrender is concerned.

Considering that the March 1945 firebombing of Tokyo was much more destructive than either A-bomb, my guess is that the Soviet invasion of Manchuria forced the emperor's hand.