House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Everywhere?

jones87

HOLA441

I was wondering today why Tesco are popping up everywhere, and Sainsbury's, ASDA & Morrison's are not ?

Is it because they don't have the money to throw into new stores?

or because they don't think new sites will be profitable?

I'm not sure about other towns and cities, but where I live (Liverpool) Tesco recently opened a new store in an area that really needed a supermarket, and are about to open another on the other side of the city.

Also, Tesco Express are everywhere now! The city centre has so many of these tiny stores, quite a few within only 5-10 minute walks of each other, 4 years ago they were not there. Sick of the sight of them to be honest :blink: They seem so quiet too, relative to rents, rates, staff etc I do wonder if they turn a profit.

HOLA442

I assume its all the landbanking they did.

Tesco seem to be everywhere. I think you can see the one on the MIR spacestation if you use a telescope.

:)

Their skill is to kill all competition and then they'll be able to price themselves up.

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest UK Debt Slave

I assume its all the landbanking they did.

Tesco seem to be everywhere. I think you can see the one on the MIR spacestation if you use a telescope.

:)

Their skill is to kill all competition and then they'll be able to price themselves up.

Yeah.

They outbid their competitors in the purchase of land to develop new sites

I read that 20% of all retail expenditure in the UK is spent in Tesco.

That is a truly terrifying statistic.

The supermarket system is basically a monopoly cartel of the food distribution and supply system.

The same situation exists with the supply of utilities, water, gas and leccy.

So if the Fabian social engineering system begins to break down and the people get frisky, the corporate state can shut down the distribution of food and water. Isn't that the ultimate sanction against civil disorder? Starve the people into submission?

Terrifying when you think about what they have done.

Clever aren't they, the fekkn bastards

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest UK Debt Slave

All this talk about supermarkets creating thousands of jobs but they never mention the jobs lost from the shops they force out of business.

They want to shut down any independent distribution of food.

Codex Alimentarius is the new global food regulation system that is coming into force. Basically, it will price small independent food producers and retailers out of the market altogether because they wont be able to afford all the red tape and bureaucracy to stay in business.

Welcome to the New World Order. All the infrastructure is in place, the corporatisation of the food distribution system, the statutory and regulatory systems to enfore it, the electronic recording of all movements, (Oyster Cards as good example of that), CCTV, black boxes in motor vehicles are coming, you name it. You wont be able to fart without it being observed in some control room somewhere.

It's incredible that all this has been achieved and nobody has batted an eyelid.

HOLA448

All this talk about supermarkets creating thousands of jobs but they never mention the jobs lost from the shops they force out of business.

I couldn't agree more, but having said that we for the first time in a decade purchased our Xmas turkey from Tesco rather than our local butchery.

Saved over £70-00 and TBH couldn't taste any difference.

HOLA449
Guest UK Debt Slave

My OH pointed out today that tesco sell bikes too - but as tesco's sales weren't up, I can only assume it was the snow that did for people buying bikes at Christmas.

Speaking of bikes, there are already ideas being bandied about to force all cyclists into a compulsory registration scheme.

As motoring becomes unaffordable for the masses due to punitive taxation of oil, they are expecting huge numbers of people to become cyclists. In order to replace the lost revenue from motoring, there are proposals being talked about to control cycling with statutory regulation and compulsory registration.

Imagine!

A bicycle tax!, MOT certificates for bicycles, fines for not wearing government approved head protection and reflective clothing, fines for cycling on (empty) pavements, toll fees for using cycle paths, etc etc etc

Just imagine the revenue raising possibilities

And in 50 years time when everyone has been priced out of cycling, they force you into a registration scheme for being a pedestrian

And then when nobody can afford to be a pedestrian anymore and you are just a brain in jar, they'll force you into a registration scheme for your oxygen.............................and they'll switch off the oxygen supply if you don't behave

This is the logiacl conclusion. They will tax you for the air you breathe and the carbon dioxide you exhale.

HOLA4410

Tesco are one of the few retailers selling reasonable products at reasonable prices. They sell 5kg bags of rice for £4, tinned tomatoes for 31p, tinned kidney beans for 19p, tinned chick peas for 33p, onions for 87p/kg, 1.5kg of white flour for 52p, minced beef for £3ish a kg, lamb's liver for £2.28/kg, frozen spinach for £1/kg etc etc. An adult can eat a healthy and varied diet for 2 or 3 hours' NMW per week. Very few businesses can offer that kind of value. HMO landlords charge 20 hours' NMW to stay in one room in an old house, the railway charges 4 hours' NMW for a 30 mile round trip, and so on.

Maybe Tesco will become evil in the future and jack up their prices. I don't know. But they are not evil now, at least in terms of what they charge their customers.

HOLA4411

Tesco are one of the few retailers selling reasonable products at reasonable prices. They sell 5kg bags of rice for £4, tinned tomatoes for 31p, tinned kidney beans for 19p, tinned chick peas for 33p, onions for 87p/kg, 1.5kg of white flour for 52p, minced beef for £3ish a kg, lamb's liver for £2.28/kg, frozen spinach for £1/kg etc etc. An adult can eat a healthy and varied diet for 2 or 3 hours' NMW per week. Very few businesses can offer that kind of value. HMO landlords charge 20 hours' NMW to stay in one room in an old house, the railway charges 4 hours' NMW for a 30 mile round trip, and so on.

Maybe Tesco will become evil in the future and jack up their prices. I don't know. But they are not evil now, at least in terms of what they charge their customers.

Morrisons also do very similar prices.

HOLA4412

Personally, I find Tesco meat to be of such poor quality that I frequently leave the store without purchasing it.

I could drive to the nearest decent supermarket (sains, waitrose or m&s) but they are a long way.

Tesco is a triumph of local presence over product quality IMHO.

HOLA4413

There's the argument that we don't pay enough for our food and that current food prices are unsustainable due to the underpricing of oil, government subsidies and so on. Of course if we paid much less for land/housing, food at a sustainable price wouldn't be a problem.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Personally, I find Tesco meat to be of such poor quality that I frequently leave the store without purchasing it.

I couldn't agree with you more there, fresh skinless chicken breast for example in Tesco looks absolutely discusting, on occasion when I have to buy it, I always end up having to cut tendon's/ligaments or whatever it is off them, don't find that with ASDA chicken though :huh:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I couldn't agree with you more there, fresh skinless chicken breast for example in Tesco looks absolutely discusting, on occasion when I have to buy it, I always end up having to cut tendon's/ligaments or whatever it is off them, don't find that with ASDA chicken though :huh:

Meat seems to be a particular problem for Tesco. FWIW, I don't have any issue with many of their other goods ... veg, bakery, milk etc.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Local farm shop for meat and veg now. Far better quality and save by not getting distracted buying crap.

Tesco's are trying to get support for a new store in my town, half a mile from Sainsbury. 300 jobs are being created allegedly, though they admit most will be part time. We get a new sports centre out of it, to replace the old one.

HOLA4420

I'm not sure if I read this or talked to someone but Tescos executives are the kind who get up at 6am and talk to each other about ways they could improve their customer relationship.

Truely mental staff who just live for the company.

*I work for Tesco so interest declared* (I joined 6 months ago)

but yes, the executives are quite scarily committed to making things better for customers.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Morrisons - for very very poor people

Somerfield - for very poor people

ASDA - for poor people

Tesco - for average people

Sainsbury - for above average people

Waitrose - for those who think they are above average people

M&S - for those who know they are above average people

I'm an ASDA fan. Same food as Sainsbury - half the price

Waitrose excellent food, cannot afford the car park

HOLA4424

Sounds like Mr Whitmore is/has/will be getting a back hander from Tesco.

I used to know a girl who work in Cambridge City Planning dept and you wouldnt believe the corruption aka bankhanders that go on with big business and the managers in these places.

I wonder if some sort of investigation could be carried out to prevent further backhanders going on.

backhander, very British. I belive its known in Italian circles as favours.

HOLA4425

There's the argument that we don't pay enough for our food and that current food prices are unsustainable due to the underpricing of oil, government subsidies and so on. Of course if we paid much less for land/housing, food at a sustainable price wouldn't be a problem.

That's fine by me. If my rent halved and my food bill tripled I would still be miles ahead on the deal. At least farmers do something for their money, my landlady (who inherited our flat) mostly just complains that we haven't washed the curtains this year.