House Price Crash Forum

Itv In "spot The Bloody Obvious"

OnionTerror

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11682164

ITV programmes are aimed towards the "lowest common denominator", channel bosses have said.

ITV chairman Archie Norman said the broadcaster, home to shows such as Coronation Street and The X Factor, is stuck in a "ratings rat race".

ITV chief executive Adam Crozier also told the Lords communications committee that ITV's schedule had a "remarkable lack of diversity".

He added that he would like to start investing in arts and factual shows.

The former Royal Mail chief executive, who took up the top job at ITV in April, criticised the Contract Rights Renewal.

He wants the Contract Rights Renewal (CRR), which is the framework that governs air time sales deals, to be axed.

CRR was introduced following the merger of Carlton TV and Granada into ITV in 2003 and linked the amount that advertisers spend on the channel to ITV's audience share - which means advertisers pay less for lower audiences.

"Ad revenue has fallen by about 22% since CRR was introduced. That has led us to invest less and less in programmes," Mr Crozier said.

He added that if the CRR was ditched, then ITV would not have to "chase volumes of impact that would allow us to have a much more diverse schedule".

He said the ITV schedule was limited because "we have to invest in programmes that drive the biggest audiences, rather than the most unique audiences".

ITV axed its flagship arts programme The South Bank Show earlier this year while Simon Cowell has just signed a new three-year deal with the channel to broadcast The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent.

In January, the Competition Commission rejected an ITV proposal that the broadcaster should have more flexibility in how much it charges advertisers.

But Mr Crozier has called on culture secretary Jeremy Hunt to look at CRR and its benefits.

ITV has claimed it has lost about £262m in revenue since the CRR was introduced in 2003.

Will things change? I doubt it....can they afford to?

HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-11682164

Will things change? I doubt it....can they afford to?

I really doubt it, too. They've slid so far into the gutter, they're going to need some ladders to get out. I haven't watched ITV in ages, partly because of the trash they screen, partly because even if they have something worth watching, the adverts are moronic, intrusive and off putting.

HOLA443

I really doubt it, too. They've slid so far into the gutter, they're going to need some ladders to get out. I haven't watched ITV in ages, partly because of the trash they screen, partly because even if they have something worth watching, the adverts are moronic, intrusive and off putting.

For all it's faults, the BBC's output can be world class - possibly only matched by someone like HBO. Could ITV make programmes such as Walking with Dinosaurs (unless they sung Karaoke I suppose)... ITV play to the lowest common denominator, and I can't see this change because they rely on the big shows' advertising revenue..

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

... and when they did F1, they put adverts in DURING the Grands Prix! Crass.:ph34r:

Edit: spelling!

Inever understood why they didn't do what they do in Europe. Run the adverts 3/4 screen with the live coverage continuing in the corner, sort of picture in picture. They definitely do this during motogp coverage in Spain.

I expect it's the clout of the advertisers here that they insist on full screen interruptions or nothing but I think it's a mistake. If you run the adverts PIP then people won't walk out, nip to the toilet, put on the kettle etc, they'll keep watching and you'll get a subliminal effect. Msybe that's why it's not allowed in the UK?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

how much does it cost ITV to run:

ITV1

ITV2

ITV3

ITV4

ITVHD

ITVplayer?

and all the respected +1's they have? if they cut down on the other channels, scrapping ITV4 and +1, ITV3 and ITV2+1 they could ave a fortune, as they only show re runs of shite made 10 years + ago.

then have ITV2 for re runs of the "premium" ITV1 shows, and some of the good stuff on ITV 4 and 3, ITVHD - not sure whats worth them showing on that, X Factro in HD?!?

then you have ITVplayer for anyone who missed other shite.

HOLA4410

how much does it cost ITV to run:

ITV1

ITV2

ITV3

ITV4

ITVHD

ITVplayer?

and all the respected +1's they have? if they cut down on the other channels, scrapping ITV4 and +1, ITV3 and ITV2+1 they could ave a fortune, as they only show re runs of shite made 10 years + ago.

then have ITV2 for re runs of the "premium" ITV1 shows, and some of the good stuff on ITV 4 and 3, ITVHD - not sure whats worth them showing on that, X Factro in HD?!?

then you have ITVplayer for anyone who missed other shite.

I remember reading somewhere that ITV2 is fairly profitable...probably down to all those interviews held by the journalism goliath that is Fearne Cotton & the intense coverage that Katie Price gets...

HOLA4411

I used to work for ITV.

Over the years I watched brilliant people side-lined, passed over for promotion, pushed out or who simply had enough and walked. To a man and woman all went on to happier and better careers.

Bean-counters.

I used to work with a guy, very senior in ITV who has now gone to another Broadcaster, who loved making endless programmes of talking heads of politicians - a talking head is basically a very big close-up shot of the neck and head of someone and you basically allow them to drone on and on and on.... it is basically dull radio but with a dull image.

HOLA4412

I can honestly say that I don't watch anything on ITV.

It used to be OK. For instance, Coronation Street used to be well-acted, warm and witty, before it became a sub-Hollyoaks bore-fest. Nowadays, ITV is lowbrow, tabloid television, the Daily Star of the UK television network. The X Factor, a dreadful uninspiring show, seems to be on every other night.

In summary, it's crap.

HOLA4413

I can honestly say that I don't watch anything on ITV.

It used to be OK. For instance, Coronation Street used to be well-acted, warm and witty, before it became a sub-Hollyoaks bore-fest. Nowadays, ITV is lowbrow, tabloid television, the Daily Star of the UK television network. The X Factor, a dreadful uninspiring show, seems to be on every other night.

In summary, it's crap.

Is the Daily Star still going?! :blink: The last time I read it was in the 1980s...

HOLA4414

Archived