House Price Crash Forum

Lovely House In Cumbria Going For £35K

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Whats the big dealio? He didnt actually kill anyone IN the house, did he?

I remember posting this auction property in the Cambridge Forum a couple of years ago, did go £20-30k under guide admittedly, but there was a double murder IN THE HOUSE.

http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/sold-119000--2-the-crofters-stretham-ely-197346-propertyauctions-0

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-461682/Mother-charged-murder-teenage-daughters.html

I did consider it for a split second, but i was/am ideally looking no furture east than st ives and didnt really want to wash the blood splattered walls down.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Whats the big dealio? He didnt actually kill anyone IN the house, did he?

If he had, it would probably have quadrupled in value.

Many years ago, a bus driver arrived home in Pennsylvania Road, Exeter, after his shift, to find his wife in the bath with his neighbour. He promptly threw the fan heater in the bathroom into the bath with them, thereby electrocuting his wife and seriously injuring the neighbour. A few months later, the husband was in Dartmoor and the house was being let to students at the nearby university. I believe that the property's history enabled it to attract a premium rent!

HOLA448
HOLA449

Many years ago, a bus driver arrived home in Pennsylvania Road, Exeter, after his shift, to find his wife in the bath with his neighbour. He promptly threw the fan heater in the bathroom into the bath with them, thereby electrocuting his wife and seriously injuring the neighbour. A few months later, the husband was in Dartmoor and the house was being let to students at the nearby university. I believe that the property's history enabled it to attract a premium rent!

If it hadn't been demolished, do you think the house of Fred West would have fetched a good price? :ph34r:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

It'll go for £70k, this is just free publicity.

It wouldn't bother me living in his house and I doubt it would put anybody else off.

It wouldn't bother me either but you may have a hell of a lot of nuisance door-knocking visitors and random letters from nutters and idiots who want to associate themselves with a hero murderer.

Does it come with a 5 year warranty of police protection? Thought not. Worth buying to rent out, maybe to the same nutters.

HOLA4413

Whereas, in some societies (no names, no packdrill), if his wife had survived she would have been stoned, his neighbour would have had his nuts cut off and he would have been a hero.

HOLA4414

Being in Rowrah would though. It might be fairly near the Lake District but it's pretty similar to any ex-mining village anywhere else in the country.

Don't forget Rowrah is a bit of a dump though and has little going for it. In fact all I really knew of it before Mr Bird was that it was that funny terrace of fairly grotty looking houses in the middle of nowhere where you would not want to stop but you had to go through to get from where I grew up to Whitehaven.

£35K is arguably a generous price for one of these places.

HOLA4415

Don't forget Rowrah is a bit of a dump though and has little going for it. In fact all I really knew of it before Mr Bird was that it was that funny terrace of fairly grotty looking houses in the middle of nowhere where you would not want to stop but you had to go through to get from where I grew up to Whitehaven.

£35K is arguably a generous price for one of these places.

That was my point. I don't think there's anywhere in West Cumbria that I'd like to live in. Whitehaven looks like it might've been quite nice 2 or 3 hundred years ago when it was a smart, new purpose-built port town but I wouldn't be in a hurry to go there now, and it seems better than most of the area.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

That was my point. I don't think there's anywhere in West Cumbria that I'd like to live in. Whitehaven looks like it might've been quite nice 2 or 3 hundred years ago when it was a smart, new purpose-built port town but I wouldn't be in a hurry to go there now, and it seems better than most of the area.

That is a bit harsh but arguably fair, the towns up the coast are generally worth avoiding but move a bit inland and you hit some nice villages and Cockermouth is nice (when it isnt flooded) but I am sure by now have been ruined by nimby boomers who have either retired to the area or retired locals.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

all of west cumbria is crap, little towns full of thick people and young idiots, got to see it to believe it

It is a shame but can be explained by the fact that most kids of any level of intellegence leave the area to go to University and very few return, well at least not until quite alot later. Out of my circle of friends from sixth form only a couple still live in the country, most left and have not returned, very few seem to have much intention of ever doing so.

This leaves the dreggs to continue to inbreed in places like Cleator Moor, Maryport, Dereham and the like. A good example is my own family, I have three siblings, three of us no longer live in the county, the other is doing his best to bring down the IQ of the area (yes really) producing a warren of kids with is intellectually challenged partner.

HOLA4421

Cockermouth is a bit in between the Lake District and West Cumbria, so just about escapes being lumped in. I lived there for a little while as a kid so perhaps I'm just trying to avoid being lumped in with the coastal area :)

Last time I went to Egremont it at least had Florence Mine but I think that's gone now.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

£35k isn't *that* low for a house in Cumbria (despite it being the most beautiful county in the country - some people just like to have someone to chat to now and again). And like another commenter in this thread, it wouldn't bother me living there (if it was my dream house that is) either. Unless they put a blue plaque up.

HOLA4425

£35k isn't *that* low for a house in Cumbria (despite it being the most beautiful county in the country - some people just like to have someone to chat to now and again). And like another commenter in this thread, it wouldn't bother me living there (if it was my dream house that is) either. Unless they put a blue plaque up.

do you mean it is low for cumbria

or it is not low for cumbria, dont know what you mean, sorry if i am thick, or sound stupid like i am from west cumbria :D