House Price Crash Forum

Got A Pizza Delivered Recently?

Lagarde's Drift

HOLA441

I don't order takeaways but clearly some people do. I always used to think that Domino's boys used mini-scooters provided by work. Just saw a Domino's guy dropping pizzas off and getting into his shiny German hatchback.

Do Domino's (and other takeaways) pay enough for someone to run an expensive car?? It was a garish colour with shiny chrome wheels so I doubt it was a company car. Or is this just another sign of our credit nation?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

More than likely a second job.

I've spoken to a couple of people recently - one a serving police officer, another an accounts clerk for a utility company - who both have second jobs they do in the evenings / at weekends.

I guess as overtime stops and hours are reduced, to make ends meet more and more people are trying to supplement their income with jobs like Pizza delivery, etc.

HOLA443

i know one or two people who do this as a second job, a friend of mine got a really decent redundancy package, and as a treat he bought a 3 year old car (he was used to driving bangers) really nice, got another job in the same industry not so long after but had to take a pay cut, so he suppliments he wage by deiving for a local take-away.

fair play i say

HOLA444

Those jobs don't make sense! In that the costs of doing a job are so heavy that they will make barely anything.

A dominos Pizza advert I had a look at was NMW you paid for YOUR OWN fuel and your own insurance. Since hot food insurance delivery is obsene in price add in fuel and W&T on your vehicle and you make absolutely nothing! The got 15p per delivery though atop of the NMW.

Pizza hut jobs make sense as you ride their mopeds and depending on branch use their fuel insurance and gear. But with your own it barely makes sense unless you get huge tips.

HOLA445

I've spoken to a couple of people recently - one a serving police officer, another an accounts clerk for a utility company - who both have second jobs they do in the evenings / at weekends.

The police force are not allowed to have second jobs.

As for the OP, Dominoes are franchise owned, more than likely the franchise owner filling in for the evening as short of staff.

In general and not specifically Pizza Delivery I have often considered a second job, but as a higher rate tax payer I'd be earning peanuts and have no life outside of work. It seems, although only via the media, that second jobs are common in the US, but I have never really seen it is the case here unless you are a student or whatever, it seems employers here want the flexibility of you being at their exclusive disposal.

HOLA446
HOLA447

The police force are not allowed to have second jobs.

As for the OP, Dominoes are franchise owned, more than likely the franchise owner filling in for the evening as short of staff.

In general and not specifically Pizza Delivery I have often considered a second job, but as a higher rate tax payer I'd be earning peanuts and have no life outside of work. It seems, although only via the media, that second jobs are common in the US, but I have never really seen it is the case here unless you are a student or whatever, it seems employers here want the flexibility of you being at their exclusive disposal.

Depends my sister had multiple jobs, in doing so she paid her mortgage off in little under 4 years, since she had no time to spend the money and she had effectively two full time jobs.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I very rarely ask for home delivery. Pick it up myself - drive is 5 minutes. Beats the 30 or so mins from the delivery boy as he goes round the streets to about 5 different houses. B)

How much for a pizza in UK these days, from the franchises? I pay about 8€ for a large one. That used to equate to about £5 or so in 2007. (in the days before Brown et al trashed the pound). :rolleyes:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

it seems employers here want the flexibility of you being at their exclusive disposal.

thats what knocked it on the head for me, i was doing 2 jobs (part time in an electrical retailer) as well as my full time job, my employeer didnt like it when i was not able ot work late (FOC) for him, so we came to a comprimise i got 80% of what i earned from my part time job as a pay rise and i quit it.

this i felt was win win as i got my free time back for only a 20% drop of my part time wages over a year,

but i did find that i was spending more money as i had the time to spend it, more time in pubs for longer, the odd shopping trip with the missus, more fuel in the car etc

i'd rather be working and getting paid for 18 hours per day, than for 8.5 hours and having time to spend it, if you know what i mean

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

So so tragic.

Indeed.

Why?

i'd rather the money TBH, and i get bored easily, i have started alot of projects/hobbies but they never get finished as there is no real benifit from it (In my eyes) if i am working and getting paid i get financial gratification. if i have a hobby that earns me money this is work as well IMO.

yes i am a workohilic, and other people have other addictions

HOLA4416

I guess as overtime stops and hours are reduced, to make ends meet more and more people are trying to supplement their income with jobs like Pizza delivery, etc.

Isn't this misfeasance or something?

A mate of mine has been deivering Indian stuff for a local place for years and makes a very tidy extra income. Gets loads of tips on top of what he gets paid too.

HOLA4417

Why?

i'd rather the money TBH, and i get bored easily, i have started alot of projects/hobbies but they never get finished as there is no real benifit from it (In my eyes) if i am working and getting paid i get financial gratification. if i have a hobby that earns me money this is work as well IMO.

yes i am a workohilic, and other people have other addictions

What are you going to do with the money?

HOLA4418

Those jobs don't make sense! In that the costs of doing a job are so heavy that they will make barely anything.

A dominos Pizza advert I had a look at was NMW you paid for YOUR OWN fuel and your own insurance. Since hot food insurance delivery is obsene in price add in fuel and W&T on your vehicle and you make absolutely nothing! The got 15p per delivery though atop of the NMW.

Pizza hut jobs make sense as you ride their mopeds and depending on branch use their fuel insurance and gear. But with your own it barely makes sense unless you get huge tips.

This is the big problem. Lots and lots of these people won't be insured for this and simply wonb't bother. The problem is that they simply assume that they will either lie to the insurance company if they have an accident or they think they'll just not claim. They don't reralise that they are opening themselves up to a prosecution for driving uninsured.

I actually don't think it's a problem where large companies like Dominoes are concerned because they will require their drivers to provide a copy of their insurance cert as the company are vicariously liable for their employees if they have an accident. It's the local corner pizza shop you really need to worry about in this respect.

As to pay. My mate who delivers Indian's I think gets a quid a delivery (or whatever the delivery charge is) plus tips. He reckons he does quite well on tips.

HOLA4419

Actually, they are allowed to have second jobs, they just need to get them approved (just like getting married or moving house if you are a police officer):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7832250.stm

I think you are confusing this with the military. As far as I'm aware a copper cannot have a second job, it's a potential conflict of interest/alliegance.

HOLA4420

This is the big problem. Lots and lots of these people won't be insured for this and simply wonb't bother. The problem is that they simply assume that they will either lie to the insurance company if they have an accident or they think they'll just not claim. They don't reralise that they are opening themselves up to a prosecution for driving uninsured.

I actually don't think it's a problem where large companies like Dominoes are concerned because they will require their drivers to provide a copy of their insurance cert as the company are vicariously liable for their employees if they have an accident. It's the local corner pizza shop you really need to worry about in this respect.

Cops tend to hang around take aways for easy pickings I've noticed in Bolton anyway.

As to pay. My mate who delivers Indian's I think gets a quid a delivery (or whatever the delivery charge is) plus tips. He reckons he does quite well on tips.

Sometimes you do quite well, when I was a scooterman as a second job people would often hand you a £20 and be fine with it. Recent scootermen I've heard from the Manchester depot are getting coins or nothing and trade has decreased markedly.

HOLA4421

What are you going to do with the money?

paying down debt, saving to buy a car (long pipe dream, but its still a dream) and stuff to put in the house i'm going to rent next year, and saving up to buy a house when prices are lower.

i'll relax when i'm older

HOLA4422

paying down debt, saving to buy a car (long pipe dream, but its still a dream) and stuff to put in the house i'm going to rent next year, and saving up to buy a house when prices are lower.

Good for you, all worthwhile goals.

Just don forget to enjoy your youth also. Older is definitely not as much fun as younger.

HOLA4423

I think you are confusing this with the military. As far as I'm aware a copper cannot have a second job, it's a potential conflict of interest/alliegance.

You can have a second job, just not certain jobs. Many officers have second jobs/business's. Personally I couldn't think of anything worse, I like my time off.

HOLA4424

Can I be nosey and ask how a self confessed workaholic, who prefers working as much as possible to save as much as possible, have debt ?!

HOLA4425

Archived