House Price Crash Forum

What Do You Regret Getting Rid Of Most?

Dubai

HOLA441

A few threads have recently revealed a few hi-fi buffs on the forum, so I thought I'd share a story that might make some of you laugh / cringe.

When we flogged our house to move abroad, I had some pretty good hi-fi gear. Prize amongst it was a Meridian 208 CD / Pre-amp. Fair enough I bought it second hand from a trusted independent dealer, but it was mint! Along with it I had a big Meridian power amp (can't remember the model, 100 wpc, grey "nextel" finish) and some other bits and bobs.

Because Canada is 110V I didn't think it worth bringing over (duh). So on the advice of the removers, I put it in a "Household Auction". They put the lot in one box labelled "hi-fi" and carted it off with a load of other stuff.

Eventually it sold and I got the details. My box of "hi-fi" fetched...... seven quid.

I was gutted.

Which brings me to my point.... we've all had "clear out" stages in our lives, I'm sure, so I'm wondering if you have done something a bit rash that you've later regretted?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

A few threads have recently revealed a few hi-fi buffs on the forum, so I thought I'd share a story that might make some of you laugh / cringe.

When we flogged our house to move abroad, I had some pretty good hi-fi gear. Prize amongst it was a Meridian 208 CD / Pre-amp. Fair enough I bought it second hand from a trusted independent dealer, but it was mint! Along with it I had a big Meridian power amp (can't remember the model, 100 wpc, grey "nextel" finish) and some other bits and bobs.

Because Canada is 110V I didn't think it worth bringing over (duh). So on the advice of the removers, I put it in a "Household Auction". They put the lot in one box labelled "hi-fi" and carted it off with a load of other stuff.

Eventually it sold and I got the details. My box of "hi-fi" fetched...... seven quid.

I was gutted.

Which brings me to my point.... we've all had "clear out" stages in our lives, I'm sure, so I'm wondering if you have done something a bit rash that you've later regretted?

My first love. He is now an eminent surgeon in the Netherlands. And rich, very rich.......

HOLA443

A CB500SS I discovered it was an SS after I'd gotten rid of it, it was a CB500S but with 15bhp more, and 20 kilos less. It was a sports bike in disguise. I always wondered why other CB500s never felt as fast as this bike. It was so funny watching proper sports bike riders wonder why the hell they couldn't shake me.

Possibly the same with an NT650, it was so heavily modified and secretly boosted to 750cc that again sports bike riders were shocked when I kept up with them and no matter how hard they tried they could never shake me. I remember the duel all t he way up to Thirsk..

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I regret holding onto cr ap for too long. Throwing it away is liberation.

I totally agree, i love getting rid of stuff, theres a few bits i wouldnt ever get shot of but generally ill randomly decide some stuff isnt needed and it goes to the charity shop, never really regret it and it makes moving so much easier B)

HOLA447

My first love. He is now an eminent surgeon in the Netherlands. And rich, very rich.......

Ex-girlfriend.

Good-tempered, rational, sporty, intelligent, hard-working, reasonably good with money, good in bed if not the total slutmonster we all like. Not beautiful, nice figure though.

WTF was I thinking?

I think I never realised that women like that are like hens teeth.........

HOLA448

Ex-girlfriend.

Good-tempered, rational, sporty, intelligent, hard-working, reasonably good with money, good in bed if not the total slutmonster we all like. Not beautiful, nice figure though.

WTF was I thinking?

I think I never realised that women like that are like hens teeth.........

I can believe the other stuff but a woman reasonably good with money ? You've got to be s*****ing us.

HOLA449
Guest X-QUORK

I can believe the other stuff but a woman reasonably good with money ? You've got to be s*****ing us.

My wife's the same.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

A Triumph Grand Prix motorcycle in running order that I sold for £80 in the late sixties. I did not know its rarity. Triumph's record were lost during the War, so they couldn't help me, and the internet wasn't born yet

Current value?

rr.jpg

HOLA4412
Guest X-QUORK

None personally, but my grandmother gave, yes...gave her Berkeley Square town house to a friend in order to run off and become a land girl in Kent during the Blitz. :rolleyes:

My dad owned an Aston Martin DB6 in the late 1960s and flogged it for £200. Chances are, it would be worth a tad more these days.

HOLA4413
Guest UK Debt Slave

A Triumph Grand Prix motorcycle in running order that I sold for £80 in the late sixties. I did not know its rarity. Triumph's record were lost during the War, so they couldn't help me, and the internet wasn't born yet

Current value?

Ouch!

rr.jpg

That would be worth some dosh now. An original Grand Prix with the generator set alloy barrels must be worth 6-7K in restored condition, maybe more for a concours example.

I still have my 1952 Triumph Tiger 100. I've owned it since I was about 20 and will never part with it. It's the only material possession I have that I attach any importance to.

The only object I've sold and later regretted was a Japanese Fender Stratocaster. They are better made than the USA Strats and they are quite collectable in their own right.

HOLA4414

Ouch!

rr.jpg

That would be worth some dosh now. An original Grand Prix with the generator set alloy barrels must be worth 6-7K in restored condition, maybe more for a concours example.

I still have my 1952 Triumph Tiger 100. I've owned it since I was about 20 and will never part with it. It's the only material possession I have that I attach any importance to.

The only object I've sold and later regretted was a Japanese Fender Stratocaster. They are better made than the USA Strats and they are quite collectable in their own right.

It had the square generator barrels, a BTH mag and a huge GP carb. Fluted front brake etc. and from looking at web pictures, it had everything it should have. I rode it for a few months, then let it go. Eventually bought a standard T110 with a full fairing.

Oh dear.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest X-QUORK

My mind.

It had been very useful, but I left it somewhere and now I can't find it. :unsure:

You're better off without it, it was a sewer.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

My father had an old gold rolex watch which, at the age of about 6, I hurled out of the fifteenth floor window of the flat we were living in in Hong Kong to see if it would fly. It was never to be seen again and it would probably be worth a small fortune now if not more.

My Dad still thumps me upside of the head occasionally for that.

I'm now 30.

HOLA4419

None personally, but my grandmother gave, yes...gave her Berkeley Square town house to a friend in order to run off and become a land girl in Kent during the Blitz. :rolleyes:

My dad owned an Aston Martin DB6 in the late 1960s and flogged it for £200. Chances are, it would be worth a tad more these days.

I say, you're rather posh. What happened?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

What like this ? Facepalm This is only the top floor, there's one round the corner that is a whole town house, not such a good location but Quite pricey.

HOLA4422
Guest X-QUORK

I say, you're rather posh. What happened?

I didn't get to meet my grandmother unfortunately as she died when I was still very young (and she'd moved to Australia in the 1950s). She was a beautiful woman by all accounts and modelled for Vogue and all the top fashion magazines, so my grandfather did pretty well marrying her I reckon. We don't know much about her family other than she was from Irish stock, maybe I'll look into it more one day.

I'd say we're just a run of the mill middle class lot, not that I like using social class per se, it's too riddled with inconsistency.

I screwed up at school and failed to become an officer unlike Dad and his Dad, so I'm probably to blame for the downfall of our social status. ;)

HOLA4423
Guest UK Debt Slave

It had the square generator barrels, a BTH mag and a huge GP carb. Fluted front brake etc. and from looking at web pictures, it had everything it should have. I rode it for a few months, then let it go. Eventually bought a standard T110 with a full fairing.

Oh dear.

Dang! What a shame!

Mind you, a friend of mine owned a Vincent Black Shadow in the 1960s and sold it for a couple hundred quid!

Plenty tales of woe out there of people who have sold stuff having no idea how valuable they would become.

Another friend of mine had a Alfa Romeo 2600 with a handbuilt body built by Zagato and he let it rust to pieces in his garden. I think there were only 105 ever made! :(

Back in the 60s, he drove it from London to Vienna in 10 hours. Those were the days!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

My Mum has one, just after my Paternal Grandfather died, his cousin came round to pay her respects, my mother asked if she would like something to remember her deceased cousin by. She went straight for the solid silver full size hand grenade (probably about 3 pounds of Sterling) he was given by the US Red Cross for helping to arrange the Berlin Airlifts. My mother being a generous soul, gave it to her. This was 40 years ago, my Dad still brings it up with alarming regularity. It's OK though, when the cousin dies I believe she has left it to me.

Archived