House Price Crash Forum

New Iphone

southmartin

HOLA441

On sale 24th June, pre-order from the 15th

Multitasking, record HD video, front camera and Video Calling. Looks like a pretty solid upgrade - all the things people were shouting for (well, apart from an open OS of course!)

The new iPhone will have Apple's own A4 chip and a larger battery that will offer 40% more talk time than the previous model. It will also be capable of HSDPA/HSUPA speeds of 7.2Mbps down and 5.8Mbs up. Surprisingly, the iPhone will not see a storage bump in this generation, maxing out at 32GB like the current iPhone 3GS.

Other new additions include 802.11n Wi-Fi, a gyroscope to detect motion on 6 axes, as well as an LED flash to supplement the new 5-megapixel auto-focus lens. The updated camera will have 5x digital zoom and will record 720p HD video at 30 frames per second. Videos captured can be edited on the device using the new iMovie for iPhone.

The new iPhone 4 will also have a secondary microphone on the top for noise cancellation, as well as a front-facing camera for video calls. It will also use the smaller micro SIM, making use of the smaller SIM standard like the iPad.

Size-wise, it will be just 9.33mm thick, which is 24% thinner than the current iPhone 3GS. It will have a glass front and back with a stainless steel band that wraps around all sides. This band is used as part of the antenna system for the GSM, UMTS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth radios.

iPhone 4 will also have a Retina Display, a new display technology that packs in 326 pixels per inch, compared to the current iPhone's 163 ppi. Noting that the detection limit of the human eye is 300 ppi, Jobs described that the iPhone 4's display will "comfortably" exceed this and that text will be seen as a "fine printed book." The new iPhone's display will be the same 3.5-inch size of the current iPhone 3GS but with a resolution of 940 x 640 pixels and an 800:1 contrast ratio and the same IPS technology used in the iPad's display.

The new iPhone 4 model will go on sale on June 24 in the U.S., France, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom. In the U.S., it will cost $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model with a new 2-year contract. iPhone 4 will be available in 88 countries by the end of September.

HOLA442

I use an HTC because the iPhone cost too much but I never thought for a moment, as some have said, the HTC was as good as the iPhone 3Gs.

The iPhone 4 has really pushed things on massively and makes the best iPhone knock-offs look deeply feeble. It's probably given them six months to a year as top dog before the chasing pack come within striking distance again.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I love the Iphone. It means I can't keep up to date with and discuss economics and house prices where ever I am. Like in the supermarket queue, whilst walking the dog, driving the car, sitting on the toilet, to name but a few.

Love it....

HOLA445
HOLA446

I'll be ordering one, but the polymer based oleophobic coating on the front glass is pretty pointless, they need to come up with a better solution that is much more durable. A diamond like carbon coating would impart the desired slickness and would be much harder than the underlying glass.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Multitasking, record HD video, front camera and Video Calling. Looks like a pretty solid upgrade - all the things people were shouting for (well, apart from an open OS of course!)

The new iPhone will have Apple's own A4 chip and a larger battery that will offer 40% more talk time than the previous model. It will also be capable of HSDPA/HSUPA speeds of 7.2Mbps down and 5.8Mbs up. Surprisingly, the iPhone will not see a storage bump in this generation, maxing out at 32GB like the current iPhone 3GS.

Other new additions include 802.11n Wi-Fi, a gyroscope to detect motion on 6 axes, as well as an LED flash to supplement the new 5-megapixel auto-focus lens. The updated camera will have 5x digital zoom and will record 720p HD video at 30 frames per second. Videos captured can be edited on the device using the new iMovie for iPhone.

The new iPhone 4 will also have a secondary microphone on the top for noise cancellation, as well as a front-facing camera for video calls. It will also use the smaller micro SIM, making use of the smaller SIM standard like the iPad.

Size-wise, it will be just 9.33mm thick, which is 24% thinner than the current iPhone 3GS. It will have a glass front and back with a stainless steel band that wraps around all sides. This band is used as part of the antenna system for the GSM, UMTS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth radios.

iPhone 4 will also have a Retina Display, a new display technology that packs in 326 pixels per inch, compared to the current iPhone's 163 ppi. Noting that the detection limit of the human eye is 300 ppi, Jobs described that the iPhone 4's display will "comfortably" exceed this and that text will be seen as a "fine printed book." The new iPhone's display will be the same 3.5-inch size of the current iPhone 3GS but with a resolution of 940 x 640 pixels and an 800:1 contrast ratio and the same IPS technology used in the iPad's display.

The new iPhone 4 model will go on sale on June 24 in the U.S., France, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom. In the U.S., it will cost $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model with a new 2-year contract. iPhone 4 will be available in 88 countries by the end of September.

Can you change the battery?

HOLA449

I like Iphone's, they are very nice,but I won't pay the apple premium tax.

T-mobile pulse, android 2.1, cost about £120 pay as you go, internet was about £30 for the year.\\

Is 2.1 out for the pulse?? :D

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Can you change the battery?

The li-po batteries they are using have a newer cathode design and are good for 2000 full cycles to 80% capacity. Same for the ipad, the revisions coming to the macbook line and all future products.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

It's not just the OS. It's the ability to run my choice of apps.

It's not just the (mostly) open systems like maemo, android or symbian 60, but also the likes of Blackberry, that give you that freedom.

HOLA4414

Damn it!

I just got a 3GS :( Wonder how much it will cost me to upgrade on my current contract. (Otherwise know as - "Which arm can I do without?")

I have to say though that I love Apple's products as the build quality is brilliant, but I dont like the prices. I have Champagne tastes with lemonade money!

Brian :)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

a larger battery that will offer 40% more talk time

will record 720p HD video at 30 frames per second.

secondary microphone on the top for noise cancellation, as well as a front-facing camera for video calls.

Not impressed, talk time is not an issue for any phone even the cheapest, 802., 3G, GPS is the problem.

720p or 1080p even is not of interest, the lens makes it pointless

You can get a 8MP camera for £50, the photos will still look terrible.

noise cancellation could be good for a speaker phone , otherwise call quality is ok on both iPhone and HTC.

Overall I'd go for HTC but an iPhone would do the same job and have more support.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

lithium-polymer

Im seeing a trend, lots of people are now using li-po batteries because they are fantastic, fast to charge and give you lots of power, the only downside is they explode if they are charged or stored incorrectly.

They explode randomly without warning, and there are flight restrictions (you cant take li-pos on as hand luggage on some carriers). Not sure iphone users will be happy when they are banned from flying. You need to remove the battery from the iphone (or remote controlled plane when it is not in use and store it in a metal box)

here is a bigger explosion:

http://video.google....60570423705609#

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The li-po batteries they are using have a newer cathode design and are good for 2000 full cycles to 80% capacity. Same for the ipad, the revisions coming to the macbook line and all future products.

I'll ask again: can you change the battery, yes or no?

It's a simple question, really.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I'll ask again: can you change the battery, yes or no?

It's a simple question, really.

I suspect you know the answer to that question

it's no if you don't btw

battery life doesn't actually sound too bad

Talk time:

Up to 7 hours on 3G

Up to 14 hours on 2G

Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:

Up to 6 hours on 3G

Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

HOLA4425