House Price Crash Forum

Home Sellers Are Told Be Realistic But Don't Panic

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
"First the good news: The market has not collapsed. People are not panicking. There is a buyer for your property."
Mr Manning said sellers should accept the fact there were currently not enough buyers in the market to buy every house for sale and there were houses on the market that would clearly not sell

Hrm, those two statements really complement each other.

HOLA445

It's all very simple... in the first statement he was talking about you, in the second he was talking about other people.

I'd say this is an advanced state of denial - from someone who can accept there is a problem generally but still cannot quite accept that there is a problem for them directly.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Stating the obvious but since local newpapers get a large amount of income from EA's selling property they arn't going to rock the boat.

When the first signs that the party was over last year my own paper (Halifax's Evening Courier) did an article about whether it was a good time to buy a house. Who did they ask? That's right an EA who not surprisingly said that it was indeed a good time to buy.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

actually, if you read it carefully you will note that he has left himself a get-out... there is a buyer for your house.

That's right - one - singular

and later in the piece he goes on to state that this single buyer has a lot of choice at the moment.

So in that sense, he's not strictly misrepresenting. ;)

HOLA4412
Mr Manning said sellers should accept the fact there were currently not enough buyers in the market to buy every house for sale and there were houses on the market that would clearly not sell

Why can't people understand demand and supply?

There are plenty of potential buyers for your house, just not at the price that you expect. Lower your price and they'll come out of the woodwork.

HOLA4413
actually, if you read it carefully you will note that he has left himself a get-out... there is a buyer for your house.

That's right - one - singular

Ahh, but it's collective because he wasn't addressing a single person, saying "there's a buyer for your house" may be read by 500 vendors each thinking he is speaking to them alone.

HOLA4414
Ahh, but it's collective because he wasn't addressing a single person, saying "there's a buyer for your house" may be read by 500 vendors each thinking he is speaking to them alone.

I believe this is a misprint and was supposed to refer to the selling process...

'there's a liar for your house'...

HOLA4415

He states that the number of people looking for rental is high.

Is that not possibly an indication that when people do sell they will not buy because they know things are going to get a lot cheaper?

Are there any statistics that would give an indication of this as a current trend, it could affect the market significantly. :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4416

"One branch last month had its best month ever"

I have monitored this agency for the past 12 months. They have steadily grown over the last few years - not hard to have good month if you have only been open for 12.

I'm expecting branches to close soon. I go past two on my way to work and they always remind me of the Marie Celeste.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
There is a buyer for your property

yeah but no...

sellers should accept the fact there were currently not enough buyers in the market to buy every house

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

and then there's this corker...

houses on the market that would clearly not sell , either because of unrealistic pricing or the length of time they had been for sale.

"Yes Mr Jones it a lovely house...just what were looking for infact and the price is spot on. It's just been on the market too long... sorry." :o

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Whenever anyone announces publicly "there is no need to panic" there is ALWAYS a great need to panic.

Whenever anyone announces publicly that "no-one is panicking" you can be sure that many people are indeed doing that.

See Titanic, 1990's crash, et al.

VP

Actually there is no need to panic if you have a secure job and bought the property at an affordable morgage as a home, rather than with one eye on the constant revolution of upward mobillity. Stay in the property and keep paying the mortgage and in 8 years it will have balanced itself out, and in 11 our man Reinhard will be setting up another website!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425