House Price Crash Forum

Unemployment Increases

HOLA441

UK unemployment in further fall

"The number of people unemployed in the UK has fallen again, leaving the jobless rate at 7.8%, figures show.

Total unemployment stood at 2.45 million for the three months to January, down 33,000 on the figure for the previous three months.

But long-term unemployment, covering those out of work for more than a year, rose by 61,000 to 687,000.

The number of people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance fell by 32,300 to 1.59 million in February. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8571625.stm

1, 2, 3 and your back in the room

Edited by STRLondon

HOLA442
HOLA443

Notice how, yet again, the number of people in employement has also fallen as unemplyoment has fallen.

Labour is simply squirrelling away all these people on some scheme or other, at taxpayers expense. It's not good news however the BBC likes to spin it.

HOLA444
HOLA445

The pound has reacted very very positively off the back of this which tells me they are also manipulating the market ie. buying the pound at the slightest bit of good news trying to get it back up

wonder how much Brown is throwing at this

HOLA446
HOLA447

However, the number of people in work actually fell in the quarter, by 54,000 to 28.86 million.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said that unemployment and employment were both falling because of a rising number of people being classed as economically inactive.

This category includes students and those on long-term sick leave, as well as those who have stopped looking for a job.

Shameless spin.

I'd say this is the key section.

How do they classify "stopped looking for a job" ?

HOLA448
HOLA449

However, the number of people in work actually fell in the quarter, by 54,000 to 28.86 million.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said that unemployment and employment were both falling because of a rising number of people being classed as economically inactive.

This category includes students and those on long-term sick leave, as well as those who have stopped looking for a job.

Shameless spin.

I'd say this is the key section.

How do they classify "stopped looking for a job" ?

This government deserve a revolution

HOLA4410
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

The pound has reacted very very positively off the back of this which tells me they are also manipulating the market ie. buying the pound at the slightest bit of good news trying to get it back up

wonder how much Brown is throwing at this

It's all a game.

For most people, you've just got to try to survive despite it.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

A acquaintance of mine was made redundant just before xmas. He can get non means tested JSA for 6 months, but nowt after that because his wife works and he has 'excessive' savings. Anyway, him and family are off to Turkey for 10 days at Easter (hol booked and paid for last year before he got the chop), and he's been told he's got to sign off before he goes! So I guess that's 1 less claiming JSA, even though he hasn't started a new job.

I wonder if he can be bothered to sign back on when he gets back, and if it will be counted as a new claim, i.e. not someone who's spent 5 months looking for a new job?

HOLA4416

The unemployment figure is so misleading, I just dont get how the "markets" can rally off mis-information, you would think that the clever money would see through the spin.

Why not. They do it all the time.

Traders need volatilty not the truth in order to make their numbers particularly in an economy that has essentially being going nowhere for nearly a decade.

Anyway in the near term the 'clever money' has dropped its overly bearish stance on sterling as there was clearly money to be made from burning some of those speculating on short positions.

The unemployment figures were just another excuse to extend that process for another day.

HOLA4417

The chocalate ration for this week increased from 42 grams to 39 grams.

Quite. Even the title of this thread is misleading.

You know what I'd really like? I'd like a 'codshite-detector' program. I'd use it to filter all news that is self-inconsistent; tautological - or known fallacious. That would be awesome - and I can't believe that it would be all that much harder than writing software to verify grammar.